What exactly is a plateau?

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    In weight loss a plateau is considered no weight loss/gain after 6 weeks of being consistent in calories and/or exercise. Anything less would be considered a stall.

Fortunately, the majority of people who claim to be on a plateau, didn't match the criteria and somewhere along their journey, they DIDN'T adhere to their diet and/or exercise regimen. So essentially it's an easy fix.

I've personally only ran into it once with a client. Lasted for 2 months, then all of a sudden weight movement happened again. Now I can't say I was with her 24 hours a day, but talking her word on eating, I assumed she was being honest at the time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    You can't just look at the weight, because a lot of it depends on what you're doing...I plateaued, weight-wise recently, but my body fat is dropping off rapidly...I lift a lot. 190lbs, 14% BF... 6 weeks ago I was 188lbs, 24% BF...
    If we're specifically looking at weight loss though, then plateau's do exist. Not common though.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • johnhunter001
    Options
    You can't just look at the weight, because a lot of it depends on what you're doing...I plateaued, weight-wise recently, but my body fat is dropping off rapidly...I lift a lot. 190lbs, 14% BF... 6 weeks ago I was 188lbs, 24% BF...
    If we're specifically looking at weight loss though, then plateau's do exist. Not common though.

IDEA Fitness member

Right. Most plateaus in weight loss simply exist in the mind.

Good job on the fat loss, brotha!!!
  • KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Bump for when I 'm not seeing results
  • BuddhaMom74
    Options

This is key for me. I feel I am plateauing if there's no change for 2 or 3 days. It's frustrating and demoralising. The first time it happened I relied on the amazing support of my MFP pals and thinking, "Well, stick with it because the only other option is to get get fat again".

This is me right now :( I've consistently lost at least 1.5lbs / week since I started in mid-July. I weigh myself every morning, but officially weigh in every Tuesday morning. I have not lost so much as one ounce this week and there will likely be no loss for the official weigh in on Tuesday morning...it's sooooo frustrating. I'm trying to be ok with it though...just waiting for the movement again.