Why am I always so tired, is something wrong?

Options
I don't understand why I am constantly tired all of the time. And no, I'm not pregnant, I've already checked that out. I was fine alllll day, perfectly awake and not tired at all until about an hour and half ago. Now it's 15 min until I get out of work and I can hardly keep my eyes open. I've been feeling like this for weeks and it's making it so hard to accomplish my goals because I am so tired a majority of the time. I feel like I want to see my doctor about it but what do I say, "I'm really tired all the time...what can you do for me?"

Because really, what is there to do??? Sometimes I don't get enough sleep because I stay up too late, but even when I get 8 hours plus I'm exhausted. Actually, sometimes if I only get like 6 hours sleep, I'm completely not tired. I don't get it and it's starting to frustrate me. I know exercising will help that because I feel energized when I work out but when I'm too tired to even bother eating dinner and just go straight to bed, there's no way I'm going to go sweat it up.

So tonight I'm drinking a 5 hour energy when I get home so I can make it through, I'm so sick of being fat it's ridiculous. But if anyone has any advice or has dealt with the same thing I would super appreciate any advice whatsoever.

Replies

• embym
    embym Posts: 65
    Options
    I was like that, and it was because I was anemic and sitting around a lot. Even if you're super tired, try to work out. That always works for me, I can be falling asleep and craving a nap, and then I drag myself to work out and I'm a totally different person!
  • helenamonks
    Options
    Try taking an iron supplement and maybe some B12 vitamins
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I feel like I want to see my doctor about it but what do I say, "I'm really tired all the time...what can you do for me?"

Because really, what is there to do???

Your doc can rule out other issues (low iron, not enough protein, sleep apnea, etc.) so that you know what you are dealing with. Any significant change in how you feel physically lasting more than a few weeks is worth considering a visit to the doc.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I would suggest an iron tablet (take it along with food or it may make you feel yucky), and try a vitamin D pill. I see your in MI, and I know that when I lived in WI I would get seasonal depression pretty bad from not enough sun. The sun makes your body create vitamin D, and without it, your mood and everything can decrease. I live in FL now, and even in the winter here, with a little less sun and coldness (FL coldness :) I feel better when I take one daily. You could also add in a multivitamin too.

Good luck! Hope everything gets better!
  • jchsundawg
    Options
    Living in a northern climate with the winter darkness makes me want to hibernate. I feel so tired in the afternoons, too, unless I have exercised. Can you exercise at lunch or at least take a walk?
    Being anemic is certainly something that can be checked easily with a blood test and one symptom is tiredness.
    Good Luck.
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    Definitely see your doctor if this is something new. It could be your thyroid, a vitamin deficiency (low D made me feel just like that), low iron, or something else. If everything checks out, then try to increase exercise and add in an energy supplement (d-ribose is one that may help, but there are others.) Avoid ephedra/mua huang, it left me with permanent tachycardia.
  • CineMachine
    CineMachine Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    How long have you been feeling this way? I ask, because I'd say the last 3 weeks I have been absolutely exhausted.. drained, no energy, but it's been over the last 2-3 weeks..Maybe it's because the holidays are over, and there is absolutely nothing to look forward to in the next few weeks...

I read through some people's replies and I think I am going to start taking vitamins again and see how that goes! I've also started tanning again.. that has been helping, gives me something to look forward to, lol.. A nice toasty warm 15 minutes of quiet time.
    Let me know if you find something that starts working out for you!
  • cowpoke06
    cowpoke06 Posts: 171
    Options
    hmmm...never thought about anemia...I did have blood tests about amonth ago with my doctor...but I could have her do another one. I'll def start taking some iron and b12. I'm sure that will help. I'm also pretty sure it has to do with SAD too, I feel like this happens pretty much every winter...interesting. Thank you for all of the advice everyone!
  • embym
    embym Posts: 65
    Options
    hmmm...never thought about anemia...I did have blood tests about amonth ago with my doctor...but I could have her do another one. I'll def start taking some iron and b12. I'm sure that will help. I'm also pretty sure it has to do with SAD too, I feel like this happens pretty much every winter...interesting. Thank you for all of the advice everyone!

DON'T take iron supplements without talking to your doctor first. They can be pretty bad if you're already getting enough iron to begin with.
  • jhann16
    jhann16 Posts: 62
    Options
    There are lots of things that cause you to be tired:

Low B12
    Low Iron
    Low Vitamin D
    Thyroid disorder
    Insulin Resistance
    Etc.

Also, how many carbs do you eat during the day? If you eat a lot of carbs throughout the day you will crash towards the 3pm - 5pm time frame. Good Luck!!
  • melindapipkin
    Options
    have your doctor do some lab work so they can check your thyroid
  • bosanka
    bosanka Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    i agree with all of the above- and i know while i lived in a country where winter months could really drag out.. and be dark and " grey " i was always tired, depressed etc.. i need the sun in order to function.
    So when i moved to Az- i completely changed.. i'm sure the " winter " has a lot to do with it. I have read that most suicides actually happen in states where it rains a lot /grey /cloudy etc- depressing.

Also - check your food what you eat also can have a huge impact
  • GrandmaGayle
    GrandmaGayle Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree to have your iron checked...like me, mine is somewhat low, so I have a healthy snack inbetween meals...keeps your metabolism going...good luck...I do not take iron tablets, but try to get mine from foods..