exercise for those with morbid obesity

Options
Forgive me if this is already posted somewhere - I have looked but haven't come across it. I wanted to start a new topic for people to share their progress and tips for exercising when they have morbid obesity that is especially welcoming for beginners or those who might be struggling with related health conditions, motivation or body issues.

No step is too small to share when it's a step in the right direction .....

So I'll start by sharing that two weeks ago I joined a weight management scheme run by the local health service where I was introduced to circuit training which I will be doing once a week for 12 weeks to get me introduced to exercising again. We have been doing eight - twelve different exercises moving round a circuit for just one minute each, until we've achieved three circuits.

So today I thought that I would start doing something at home and did 60 step ups and 100 arm thrusts using cans of food as weights.

I want to try doing more gentle squats next because my knees have been a bit wobbly .....

Replies

• stevenlcopeland
    stevenlcopeland Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm not obese but an EXCELLENT machine for cardio is the upper body ergometer...arm bike. I think it is one of the best kept secrets in any gym. I rarely see anyone ever on it which is fine with me because I use the heck out of it. It is great for people that are wheelchair bound or may have leg issues due to injury or obesity. Spend an hour on this bad boy and you will get some serious cardio in plus it has really helped in my upper body muscle development. Now don't tell anybody or secret. LOL
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting started! Take things slow and do it the right way and you'll see some wonderful progress.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting started! Take things slow and do it the right way and you'll see some wonderful progress.
    ^ this!
  • TatianaMacKenzie
    TatianaMacKenzie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Before I moved, I attended a very gentle aqua fit class... I had a knee injury at the time, so moving in water was good for me (and the knee = no pressure). There were a number of people in the class who were quite heavy: they all said they not only enjoyed the class, but felt it helped them get and keep active. And I think swimming lengths is also a good choice.
  • babyred72
    babyred72 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started with walking. I have always enjoyed walking, but never reinforced it with eating healthy. I now do workouts through fitnessblender.com and other websites plus walking. I have changed my eating habits and since May, I have lost a total of 39 pounds. I started using MFP in July so it doesn't show my whole journey :happy:
  • Muzica1959
    Muzica1959 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Walking isTHE BEST exercise for the obese. It is something we all do unless we have a disability that prevents it. In June 2014 I started out walking, then added low impact aerobics. I also went to YouTube and found videos for the obese on a station called LaunchPad, which are seated strength training moves to strengthen the core. I now do run/walk intervals 3 times a week for 40 minutes. I worked my way up from 15 minutes.. On days I do not run I do aerobics or power walking for at least an hour unless something prevents me from it like an injury did a week or so ago. I started out doing only 30 minutes of that. . WARNING!!! Working out can be addictive. Sunday is my "off" day and I am itching to get a workout in. Hubby and I may go walking after church tonight.
  • MsDellyssa
    MsDellyssa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I found this excellent workout video on youtube. I have issues with my knee (had surgery) and it's been great. Works on all parts. Arms, chest, legs, core.. ect. In a chair. It's been a great help to me.

Launchpad: Low-Impact Workouts for Obesity and Limited Mobility
  • MsDellyssa
    MsDellyssa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Walking isTHE BEST exercise for the obese. It is something we all do unless we have a disability that prevents it. In June 2014 I started out walking, then added low impact aerobics. I also went to YouTube and found videos for the obese on a station called LaunchPad, which are seated strength training moves to strengthen the core. I now do run/walk intervals 3 times a week for 40 minutes. I worked my way up from 15 minutes.. On days I do not run I do aerobics or power walking for at least an hour unless something prevents me from it like an injury did a week or so ago. I started out doing only 30 minutes of that. . WARNING!!! Working out can be addictive. Sunday is my "off" day and I am itching to get a workout in. Hubby and I may go walking after church tonight.

Right after I hit enter I saw your post... LOL Great Minds Think Alike!!
  • icetopaz
    icetopaz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Many thanks to those who posted encouragement, and it's good to hear about what's working for other people who've been or are in this situation. The Launchpad channel on youtube sounds really helpful - I will take a look. I wish that my local gym had one of those upper body ergometer's - they look great.

I've just ordered a pedometer as I used to have one and found it really helpful for motivating me to walk extra steps.
  • dhaemon
    dhaemon Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm 441 lbs and let me tell you...As much as I love walking, my feet paid the price and have foot pain from time to time.

My recommendation? Swim. I'm addicted to it and its great for cardio!
  • terriveller
    terriveller Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    All are great ideas. Important to get md clearance before starting an exercise program. Walking, swimming, nu step or recumbent elliptical are great places to start. It doesn't matter if you can only do two or three minutes increase by 15-30 seconds everyday and soon you will be able to do a full workout. If you start cutting calories you will be soon on your way to a healthier life. Good luck in your journey.
  • geek23ka
    geek23ka Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    THE BEST exercise for the obese is something that they enjoy doing. JFC.

Truly if you get up and do it for one day or one week, the "best" exercise isn't gonna do jack ****. It's only when you keep getting up and doing it that your body can change.

IMO. former 300 club

I like powerlifting, so that's what I do. I do conditioning too, but only because it makes me a better competitor in powerlifting. If anyone told me that I was doing it wrong, I would tell them to shove it.

Find what you love and keep after it. It might be hard at first, but don't let that deter you. What do you want for yourself. What do you see yourself enjoying in terms of physical activity? Those are the best questions to ask yourself.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    The most important thing for me was finding a way to have a variety. I had a gym membership before and gave up on it because there were limited options, and I got bored doing the same thing all the time. I'm now a member of our local Kroc Center. They have water fitness classes of all kinds, a fully equipped gym, and lots of different class options for out of the water classes. I can vary my workout and never get bored. My favorite stuff is the water classes; no only is exercising in the water better for my back, but the resistance against the water has helped me strengthen muscles in a whole different way than I do in the gym. I also use the elliptical and the strength training machines. I haven't attempted any of the non-water classes yet; I'm enjoying my Aqua Zumba and River Trek too much! :)
  • jbox66
    Options
    I am going to give this a try. :sad: I struggle and in pain daily. I'll keep your secret... :bigsmile:
  • CrazyAnimalLady
    CrazyAnimalLady Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    THE BEST exercise for the obese is something that they enjoy doing. JFC.

Truly if you get up and do it for one day or one week, the "best" exercise isn't gonna do jack ****. It's only when you keep getting up and doing it that your body can change.

IMO. former 300 club

I like powerlifting, so that's what I do. I do conditioning too, but only because it makes me a better competitor in powerlifting. If anyone told me that I was doing it wrong, I would tell them to shove it.

Find what you love and keep after it. It might be hard at first, but don't let that deter you. What do you want for yourself. What do you see yourself enjoying in terms of physical activity? Those are the best questions to ask yourself.

^^This right here! I was 345 lbs when I started crossfit and it's the best thing I ever did for myself. It was the only thing that ever motivated me to do better. Find that thing for you and do it! Keep trying things until you find what you like. In the meantime, walk! Walking burns a ton of calories, but you'll need to find something with some strength training somewhere along the line. Good luck!
  • jbox66
    Options
    Awe great ! Keep it up. I have lost 150lbs swimming, when I started It was hard to just get there etc. Now three years later I'm able to swim for a hour. I still have more to loose. It's a struggle for me especially living with others who eat whatever. I need to get away to a place where I can "dry out from sugar and carbs'" Keep it up and I'm here if you need.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I'm 441 lbs and let me tell you...As much as I love walking, my feet paid the price and have foot pain from time to time.

My recommendation? Swim. I'm addicted to it and its great for cardio!
    Also investing in proper shoes for your feet whether you have to go to a foot doctor so you can them measured properly and orthodics if they feel you need them... makes all the difference in the world! Makes a difference in how your gait is when you walk, it effect your hips, knees, ankles, back, you name it...the proper shoes will make a world difference in either walking or doing other workouts.

Intended for anyone needing this but was thinking of the OP and the person that pasted their experience above.

I second the pool... awesome to hit the classes, aqua walking, jogging in the water, deep water workouts.. Nothing in the world like the pool for water resistance and joint ease.:happy:
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Forgive me if this is already posted somewhere - I have looked but haven't come across it. I wanted to start a new topic for people to share their progress and tips for exercising when they have morbid obesity that is especially welcoming for beginners or those who might be struggling with related health conditions, motivation or body issues.

No step is too small to share when it's a step in the right direction .....

So I'll start by sharing that two weeks ago I joined a weight management scheme run by the local health service where I was introduced to circuit training which I will be doing once a week for 12 weeks to get me introduced to exercising again. We have been doing eight - twelve different exercises moving round a circuit for just one minute each, until we've achieved three circuits.

So today I thought that I would start doing something at home and did 60 step ups and 100 arm thrusts using cans of food as weights.

I want to try doing more gentle squats next because my knees have been a bit wobbly .....

When I was in cardiac rehab for my dysautonomia they had me use the upper body cycle, nustep machine, rower, recumbent elliptical bike, and weights. A lot of the people there who were recovering from heart attacks and heart surgery and were obese loved those machines because they didn't kill their knees or their feet and they were seeing a lot of improvement weight wise. I'd recommend them if you have a gym near you that has them!
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I don't know your limitations, but back in July I was well over 300 lbs [therefore, morbidly obese], and now at 272 lbs.... still morbidly obese. The easiest exercise I found for me was to walk. I can't walk but so fast, but it's easier for me than doing aerobics and bodyweight exercises like jumping jacks, burpees, squats, etc.
  • pronetocrash91
    pronetocrash91 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Right after I hit enter I saw your post... LOL Great Minds Think Alike!!

Thanks for the recommendation, both of you. Going to give that channel a shot!