use of fit bit

Options
I recently bought a fitbit to help track my daily expenditure. An average day with approx. 45 minutes of exercise (walking or Cto5K) it says I burn 2,000 calories. Does this sound about right?

I've been keeping my calories around 1200 which should get me a decent deficit...am I doing this right?

How do you use your fit bit?

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i mostly only use my fitbit to keep track of long amounts of walking that isn't exactly exercise. for example, yesterday fitbit reported 376 calories burned for hours of walking. the walking was on a photography trip, with some stops (although not that many). i also often get 200 calories burned reported to MFP if i hit several stores and do some walking. and yesterday i managed to use drivebit for every single time we drove in the car, which isn't always easy to remember to do, only my fitbit often logs hundreds of steps when driving, and drivebit (or logging through fitbit) removes those fake steps.

i prefer to use other methods of reporting fitness walking and other exercises. as with any app or calculator, i consider the burned calories to be over-reported, but i still like seeing 'em there, and sometimes eat some of them back.
  • gretlarson
    gretlarson Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Most of my exercise is walking based. I don't log my exercise I just let my fitbit adjust my exercise calories based on how many steps I have. My daily step goal is currently at 12,000. It's nice to see the extra calories added and if I am hungry I will eat back some of those calories.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Measure your stride and go in settings and set it right, so you get a good steps reading.