Getting the most of of the elliptical

Options
Hi folks! I bought a baseline elliptical a couple weeks ago. I'd love to know how others make the most out of this machine. My machine has 10 resistance settings, and I typically go on the 3 setting (10 is the most resistant). So any input / tips / suggestions on how you get the most out of the elliptical is more than welcomed :)

Replies

• tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I find the elliptical to be a very good HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) machine. Do a 10 minute warmup. Then every minute on the minute, do 10-15 secs of all out as fast as you can pedal as if a lion will eat you if you don't stride fast enough. The rest for the rest of the minute (45-50 sec). Do that 10 times (10 minutes). Then cool down for 5-10 minutes. That will be the equivalent of droning on for an hour. If you go all out on the HI parts.
  • btunnell7155
    btunnell7155 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What would be your recommendation for baseline settings in terms of resistance and pitch?
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Day 1: 1 and 1
    Day 2: 2 and 1
    Day 3: 2 and 2
    Day 4: 3 and 2

You get the idea. They key to HIIT is to stride like your life depends on it. If you go fast enough, the elliptical will probably not be able to track your strides / min. Mine stops at 315.

Tom
  • Rmfowler1990
    Rmfowler1990 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    @tomcornhole That's great advice thank you!! I will try that tomorrow on my next go round! Thank you for the daily schedule of increasing intensity :) very helpful.

@btunnell my elliptical was from a used sports equipment store, barely used but only $100. It's an off brand but it has multiple resistance so I knew I would out grow this machine for a while. It has a small screen that measure speed, time and estimated calories and honestly I don't even think I needed that. It'd just go with what you can afford and the minimum amount of features you desire.