HELP! I can't manage to eat over 1100 calories!

Options
Okay, so I need to be eating roughly 1400 calories a day, but recently after changing my diet to be more 'healthy' by sticking to mostly chicken, turkey, veggies and fruits I've barely been able to eat over 1000 calories a day. Today I ate only 945 and feel content, not hungry at all. I woke up late and stayed in the gym and then cleaned the kitchen, so I ate breakfast around 10 and then wasn't hungry for lunch until 12:30. Before dinner I had a small handful of almonds and a protein shake and then dinner at 5:30pm.

But I need to up my calories so my body doesn't go into starvation mode. I'm having a hard time finding more foods to fit into meals or in between. Does anyone have any good suggestions?
I don't like mushrooms or fish and I have to be careful with nuts while I'm at work because I work in a school that does not allow any type of nuts to be brought it.

What foods can I add in to start upping my calories?

Replies

• mundaycarroll
    mundaycarroll Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Protein bars and protein shakes are good sources of calories and are healthy for you. You could always bring more snacks with you to work too like yogurt, fruits, or veggies..
  • moineau_
    moineau_ Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Protein bars and protein shakes are good sources of calories and are healthy for you. You could always bring more snacks with you to work too like yogurt, fruits, or veggies..

I'm definitely going to add a few extra pieces of fruit, but for whatever reason I didn't even think about yogurt!

I think what I'm most worried about is feeling too full to eat...like today. I was under 1000 but felt full and I'm going to have to almost force some pineapple, blueberries and cottage cheese tonight.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Options
    Oreos
  • dcs2
    dcs2 Posts: 2
    Options
    Are you eating an healthy carbs? You need these to for energy and to help burn fat.
  • moveyourself
    Options
    well, if you feel full then I don't think you should FORCE yourself to eat. Maybe you'll naturally get a bigger appetite again after a few days. Listen to your body. You don't need to eat strictly 1400 calories if you honestly feel like you can't do it.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Increase good fats. Good fats very important for many bodily functions.

Avocados, raw or natural nuts, olive oil, etc etc
  • moineau_
    Options
    Oreos
    Hehe I only wish. I feel like if I have one or two I won't be able to stop...I'm still working on my self-control, it's been hard!
    I drove by our famous Round Rock Donuts today and was so close to stopping in.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    more ice cream.

300 calories is my yogurt snack- how are you having a hard time fitting that in?

are you tracking EVERYTHING and weighing it?

are you losing or gaining?
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I trust another MFPer will come through with the starvation mode doesn't exist speech, so I'll leave that for them. That being said, you should be eating your BMR (which could even be higher than 1400).

Calorie dense foods are your friend for making calorie goals easier to meet. I have weeks where I struggle to eat my BMR (which is around 1600 NET, so usually 1900-2100 calories a day) but for the most part, I'm more focused on hitting my protein goal than anything. Nuts, avocados, greek yogurt, peanut butter and toast, higher calorie fruits like bananas, etc would all be good options for you.

Or, indulge and have something you wouldn't class as healthy: I have chocolate, a cookie, brownie, ice cream, pizza, SOMETHING just about every day and just make sure it fits my macros. That's pretty well the only way I can happily eat at a deficit continually rather than "falling off the bandwagon" as many feel they do on a pretty regular basis.
  • moineau_
    Options
    Are you eating an healthy carbs? You need these to for energy and to help burn fat.

I snack on popcorn occasionally and eat my wheat pasta with meals and occasionally wheat couscous. Do you have suggestions of more I could try?

I am SO new at this changing my diet thing. I have a lot to learn.
  • moineau_
    Options
    well, if you feel full then I don't think you should FORCE yourself to eat. Maybe you'll naturally get a bigger appetite again after a few days. Listen to your body. You don't need to eat strictly 1400 calories if you honestly feel like you can't do it.

I guess I am just overly worried about putting myself in starvation mode...I definitely don't want to!
    For now I'm just going to get creative and add in more healthy carbs (:
    BUT tonight I'm not going to force it (:
  • moineau_
    Options
    more ice cream.

300 calories is my yogurt snack- how are you having a hard time fitting that in?

are you tracking EVERYTHING and weighing it?

are you losing or gaining?

My yogurt is usually only 160 calories, and then I'll add in some fruit or granola for some more.
    I try to track every single thing I eat, and I'm losing. Not much, I've lost a pound in a week.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    bacon - add it to a sandwich, wrap, or a salad (as bits)
    rib-eye steak - mmmmm
    french fries - this is a really fast way lol
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I guess I am just overly worried about putting myself in starvation mode...I definitely don't want to!
    For now I'm just going to get creative and add in more healthy carbs (:
    BUT tonight I'm not going to force it (:

you're not going to go into starvation mode.

there is no such thing- you either start starving- or not.
    My yogurt is usually only 160 calories, and then I'll add in some fruit or granola for some more.
    I try to track every single thing I eat, and I'm losing. Not much, I've lost a pound in a week.
    I wasn't tryinng to compare yogurts with you- but merely point out you can beef it up and it's a very small snack that's calorie dense. Stop eating rabbit food and eat something with some butter in it 1400 calories is peanuts really on the food scale.

a pound a week is a lot if you don't have much to lose- not sure if you're trying to lose or not- but 1/2 pound to a pound is adequate- the closer to your target goal- the slower and harder it is to get the weight off though.
  • moineau_
    Options
    I trust another MFPer will come through with the starvation mode doesn't exist speech, so I'll leave that for them. That being said, you should be eating your BMR (which could even be higher than 1400).

Calorie dense foods are your friend for making calorie goals easier to meet. I have weeks where I struggle to eat my BMR (which is around 1600 NET, so usually 1900-2100 calories a day) but for the most part, I'm more focused on hitting my protein goal than anything. Nuts, avocados, greek yogurt, peanut butter and toast, higher calorie fruits like bananas, etc would all be good options for you.

Or, indulge and have something you wouldn't class as healthy: I have chocolate, a cookie, brownie, ice cream, pizza, SOMETHING just about every day and just make sure it fits my macros. That's pretty well the only way I can happily eat at a deficit continually rather than "falling off the bandwagon" as many feel they do on a pretty regular basis.

Well like I said, that is why I was asking for help, I was trying to avoid that very situation.

So if I had a brownie with some almonds and peanut butter (on top, yum), would that be considered a good indulgence to hep my calorie goal?
    But yes, I think I'm going to add even more avocado to my diet and maybe another handful of almonds. I will have a banana too...I usually avoid them since they are high in sugar, but then again...it's fruit, the health benefits outweigh any sugar negatives I feel.
  • shadowthecat971
    Options
    Before reading your post description I'd have recommended eating a burger now and then. After reading the full description it's clear to me that a cheeseburger from In-N-Out probably isn't what you're looking for. The easiest way to eat up calories would be to grab something sweet and sugary like ice cream, but there are definitely better alternatives. Healthier snacks like fruits might help you. I personally prefer onions and leaks (soup for a snack with grilled onions and leaks added is delicious.) Otherwise... Nugo bars are fantastic. They're rather local compared to other protein bars but they're vegan, kosher, gluten free, and delicious. (totally contradicting advice right? eehhh I can't help it those bars are amazing)
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    It would help if you give your weight and height in your original post
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    ManzielIceCream_zps5673c589.gif
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I love eating Quest bars for a snack between breakfast & lunch. Great source of protein and a good bump up for calories if you're too low.
  • DonaGail
    DonaGail Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Im no expert but when I eat quinoa I notice that it is pretty calorie rich, but good for you. If its bland either spay fat free butter (ICBINB) or a splash of low cal salad dressing. Good luck!