Which way to do bridge is better, and why?

Options
I found 2 ways to do the bridge online:

(1) http://runnersfeed.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Back_Bridge_2.jpg

(2) http://www.alkavadlo.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/168076_1673930500495_1604420687_1528980_3574830_n1.jpg

I've always done it the 2nd way simply because I "made up" an exercise for the back that was the opposite of the plank for the abs. However, most of the online info refers to the 1st way. Which way is better, and why?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    #2 isn't worth the potential shoulder pain for me
  • AlwaysKeepFit
    AlwaysKeepFit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I stretch out before doing them, though. I figure the stretch is good anyway. So I have the luxury now of choosing the one of the 2 methods based on which is better for the back.
  • zetodd
    zetodd Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    #1, you need to adjust your foot position so that you feel it where you want it.

Alternatively , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvQXREKFfpY
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Yeah, and I don't see the 2nd picture working glutes really well, which is what the glute/back bridge does. Go with the 1st.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I learned the first version in PT so that's what I do. I used to do the second one when I was doing pilates regularly but it wasn't called a bridge. I can't remember what they called it but I think it had "plank" in the title.
  • peejaygee1
    peejaygee1 Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    I found 2 ways to do the bridge online:

(1) Back_Bridge_2.jpg

(2) 168076_1673930500495_1604420687_1528980_3574830_n1.jpg

I've always done it the 2nd way simply because I "made up" an exercise for the back that was the opposite of the plank for the abs. However, most of the online info refers to the 1st way. Which way is better, and why?
    FIFY

I do # 1
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    The first photo is known as the short bridge. It's good for the glutes, not really much work for the back, but a good way to work up to full bridges (back bends). The second photo is known as the angled bridge. It's a little harder and requires more tension on the abs and some shoulder flexibility. It would be a good alternative once the short bridges feel easy. You could bend the legs to make it easier - in yoga it would be the table pose. The full bridge or back bend is the most difficult of the basic types, but the most beneficial for your back:

http://img.breakingmuscle.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/full_width/images/bydate/20130702/shutterstock95690998.jpg
  • ShadeyC
    ShadeyC Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the other posts but in yoga number One is an actual bridge. Two is a reverse plank. Bridge is the base for pushing up into upward facing bow or wheel pose. So it's the baby version of those full expression postures.
    Reverse plank is simply reverse plank, there isn't anywhere else to go from there.
    Neither posture is wrong. They are both correct.
    However only number One is actually called a bridge.

Edited as I didn't answer the other part of the question: They both do different things in your body. Bridge is for the lower back, glutes and hamstings. It's also a hip flexor stretch.
    Reverse plank is full body, but still mostly uses the same muscles as regular plank (even though you are the other way up) and is used as a chest opener.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Dunno, avocado's looks pretty easy I think. Start from a seated position.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the other posts but in yoga number One is an actual bridge. Two is a reverse plank. Bridge is the base for pushing up into upward facing bow or wheel pose. So it's the baby version of those full expression postures.
    Reverse plank is simply reverse plank, there isn't anywhere else to go from there.

Edited as I didn't answer the other part of the question: They both do different things in your body. Bridge is for the lower back, glutes and hamstings. It's also a hip flexor stretch.
    Reverse plank is full body, but still mostly uses the same muscles as regular plank (even though you are the other way up) and is used as a chest opener.

Reverse plank-- that was it. Thanks. :happy:
  • ShadeyC
    ShadeyC Posts: 315 Member
    Options

Reverse plank-- that was it. Thanks. :happy:

Hah no probs :)
  • AlwaysKeepFit
    AlwaysKeepFit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your answers and your links. I'm not too worried about gluts because I usually take stairs rather than elevators. But I want very much to work the small of the back. I know that back extension are the way to go, but I want a routine that I can do at home with just a matt rather than machine.

Hmmm. Looks like there are many back arching strength exercises (on your stomach) online. So I guess I should switch from reverse plank to these. All these misguided years.....oh well, at least the gluts benefitted, even though that wasn't the intent.

Thanks again.

P.S. On a bad day, it seems really easy to cheat on the back arching exercises done on the stomach. The example I found said to hold each rep for 3 seconds. I should tailor that so that I can do 3 sets of 10.

P.P.S. So many subtle variations on the back extension...