Honest opinion on carbs please?

Options
alright yes I am a low carb fanatic for the last year but I am also exercising a lot now so my question is do carbs really matter? I am not talking about simple carbs like sugar and cookies and stuff like that I mean the good stuff, like oatmeal and vegetables and the occasional piece of wheat bread. I am looking to find if people lose weight while eating good carbs is it more the calories in calories out then the carb intake? Thanks everyone.

Replies

• dansmart
    dansmart Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The Glycemic Index is what matters. Stone Ground Whole Wheat > White Flower. Berries > bananna, etc. IMHO. I felt the least healthy I have in my life while on Adkins. Never again.
    -=Dan=-
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I am a huge Jonny Bowden fan, just so you know where I'm coming from. I've always been of the calories in/calories out mindset, until I read an article by him. Basically, he says that a calorie is NOT a calorie is NOT a calorie; your body processes carbs, fat & protein differently. Processed carbs and high starch veggies hit your system quickly and some even convert to sugar before they reach your stomach. Veggies, especially greens, are processed slowly and therefore don't spike your blood sugar. Bowden says that the insulin surge, NOT a high fat percentage or a high protein intake, is what causes you to gain weight.

I have been working this program for the past four weeks or so and have lost 10 lbs since I started. I am not crazy about it, but I am focusing a lot on what I SHOULD eat -- healthy fats, green veggies and fruits -- and am not so worried about fat & protein as I was before. I'm also staying mostly within my calorie count, so that may also be helping.

Good luck, I'm interested to hear what everybody else has to say about this one.
  • GremlinJenny
    Options
    hi. i can only tell you what's worked for me.

i eat oatmeal every morning. i eat tons of veggies, esp broccoli and spinach. just today i had a super healthy spinach lasagna (made with organic whole wheat pasta). i work out so much that it's essential i take in good carbs to replenish my muscles and keep my energy up.

with this diet, i lost 14 lbs in 4 wks. i'm now at a net loss of 27 lbs.

i hope you find what works for you!
  • Grammy54
    Grammy54 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have lost 60 pounds with exercise and eating good carbs. We were never ment to be heavy meat eaters. Our digestive system works much better on high fiber lots of vegetables every day.

I hope this helps
  • rjlam
    rjlam Posts: 149
    Options
    Your complex carbs are important to energy levels during exercise. Stick to the low glycemic index and you will be fine. Google glycemic index and it will give you a list of foods with the glycemic numbers. As per the dietician i've been dealing with, she states to stick numbers 75 and under most of the time and once in a while you can go higher. Hope this helps.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I've lost 10kg still eating carbs all in moderation
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Please tell more about this super healthy meal you had..?? what other good recipes do you have as i am struggling with that kinda stuff right now..?? Share...
  • crazyrun
    crazyrun Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I personally feel just eating the right carbs and protein is what matters. I am a runner so i need some carbs, in moderation. I eat oatmeal every morning and i love it. I eat veggies, fruits and bread in moderation. I am eating whole wheat Spagehetti with ground turkey tonight. I just started the program and I lost 3.5 pounds. I dont have much to lose so this is great for me. I say dont give up carbs entirely.
  • spuzo
    spuzo Posts: 50
    Options
    Our digestive system works much better on high fiber lots of vegetables every day.

I'll have to say...there's always an exception to this...and I'm it :) I've actually been hospitalized because I cant digest high fiber/high starch foods. My veggies all have to be cooked and low carb/fiber. I've finally been diagnosed with a digestive disease - took YEARS to get that diagnosis!

That said, most people fair well with good carbs. Many people here have very "balanced" diets and are doing remarkably well. Even low carb diets like South Beach really emphasis good carbs. You/we need them. They're an energy source and provide valuable nutrients.

Good luck :) And congrats to everyone who's lost weight eating carbs....SUPER jealous that I have to give them up :(
  • GremlinJenny
    Options
    Good luck :) And congrats to everyone who's lost weight eating carbs....SUPER jealous that I have to give them up :(
    awwwww!!! so sorry!!! we'll eat them for you. :( btw, LOVE your profile pic. super cute. :)
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    alright yes I am a low carb fanatic for the last year but I am also exercising a lot now so my question is do carbs really matter? I am not talking about simple carbs like sugar and cookies and stuff like that I mean the good stuff, like oatmeal and vegetables and the occasional piece of wheat bread. I am looking to find if people lose weight while eating good carbs is it more the calories in calories out then the carb intake? Thanks everyone.
    On a vegan diet, I eat a lot of "good carbs" every day - lots of veggies, fruit, brown rice.

My protein is from a range of sources (legumes, tofu etc), I gave porridge oats with oat bran and prunes for breakfast every day. Lost 40lb, easily, and am fitter than since my 20's.
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I must be the only one but a plate of healthy veggies just doesn't fill me up. I find myself dealing with a growling tummy within the hour of finishing the meal. I chew slowly and all that jazz but I'm still hungry. I find the only thing that really fills me up is carbs. I love breads, cereal and pastas. I really dislike rice. I'm learning to like oatmeal. I eat carbs like all things -- with moderation. A bowl of pasta with a little meat and veggies on the side? Yes please and I'm full as can be.

I guess, do what works for you?
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I do much better when I stick to whole oats, quinoa, veggies, fruits, sweet potatoes, Wasa crispbreads, legumes in addition to my proteins and fats.

My eating plan right now consists of roughly 40% carb, 40% protein & 20% fats. I've lost over 11 lbs so far in just over 2 weeks.

You of course have to find what works for you, but what started me on my current path was reading books about clean eating.
    If you go to your library, look for books by Tosca Reno.

I just don't think that a diet that eliminates food groups or severely restricts them is something you'll be able to follow for the rest of your life.

Carbs in their natural form and in moderation are not "bad" for most people. IMO of course.