Women that are lean, under 14%--how do you do it???

Options
2»

Replies

• debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like the look of man under 10% bf or women under 15% bf.

Ok back on topic....
  • VegFit72
    VegFit72 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments. The wellness center I work for has 2 ways to measure body fat. The Omron, hand held device and the Futrex infrared device. The Omron reads higher at around 22% and the Futrex around 15%. I've maintained the same weight and about the same body fat percent for as long as I can remember--maybe 20 years or so with the exception of pregnancy and postpartum (2x). I know most of the ins and outs of fitness as I've been in this field for a long time but it always amazed me to see women competition lean. My husband competed in bodybuilding on a local level for a while so I would watch him cut and knew how hard and extreme it is. I've just never been able to get those pesky love handles lost--you know the ones that hang over just a bit on the backs of your jeans..ugh! and I'd love to have a tighter/leaner core--not necessarily ripped. I also know that when people are in competition shape they are usually at their physical weakest and psychologically drained. I know that the pics we see in the mags are taken during this peak and it's very often that the same person is hard to recognize during their off season.

So, I'm aware of all this and do not want to go to that level--just leaner and tighter than I am now. If I get a chance I'll post some pics of me so you can see what I'm talking about. Thanks again for your thoughts and tips. :happy:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I just recently did a physique competition (photos in my profile) and came in at around 4.5% via skinfold caliper testing. I can tell you how I did it, but pm me if you want...no one here on MFP wants to hear about any diet that doesn't include Pop Tarts and Ice cream :) I don't care to argue with people on the forums anymore.

Um, 4.5% BF in a woman is not possible.

Yes, it is. Women compete at 4-7% bodyfat all the time. It's not healthy or maintainable. It's a very short-term thing. But to say it's not possible is incorrect. I concede a 3% margin for error, which exists with skinfold caliper testing. I was tested by a professional who works with physique competitors, however there is always a margin for error.

Nevertheless, it is possible, and those who say it isn't possible should get out of the way of those doing it, because unless you've done it, you can't understand how brutal it is to get that lean.

Dear, if there's a perfectly sweet and ripe peach, just off the tree, not a single dent in it's skin, there's going to be someone who will hate that, too....

No need to get in a discussion with people who have probably never been there. I looked at your pics, and I think you looked great for your competition!

Happy lifting! :flowerforyou:

no where did any of us say she didn't look good for her competition...but to claim to be 4% BF is just silly and yes she got called out on it

if anything she got combative right off the bat with her comment
    no one here on MFP wants to hear about any diet that doesn't include Pop Tarts and Ice cream :) I don't care to argue with people on the forums anymore.
  • VegFit72
    Options
    So I followed the link provided---- http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

Not sure where I think I fall on those pics.Maybe between 18-25% I think I see the real me but my husband says I don't. I know I do not have the symmetry and shape of any of those ladies in those pics.
  • CignaSi
    CignaSi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    At 18% BF you'd already start seeing definition. So chances are you are not at 18% BF. Use skinfold tests to get a better estimate.

You attain a lower body fat by tracking macros and calories, making sure you eat enough protein to maintain your lean body mass, and eat at a caloric deficit.

eating clean =/= low body fat. I ate clean and was 145lbs, but very soft.

Your diary isn't open, so can't make any suggestions based on how you eat or how much you eat.

Also chances are you are over-doing it on cardio. Especially if you are doing HIIT or high intensity. Very light cardio post-weights (this LISS) or some cardio on your rest days is more than enough, and will help minimize overtraining and burnout. Both of which could likely affect body composition.

Bodybuilders and fitness models are at unnaturally low body fat levels for specific periods of time, not year round. So it'd be better to figure out a good body fat estimate and then figure out about how much you need to lose to start seeing more definition. This chart may be helpful:
    Ideal-Body-Fat-Percentage-Chart3.jpg

Create a slight deficit, eat back exercise cals (50-75%) if you use MFP net method, and don't push yourself too hard.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments. The wellness center I work for has 2 ways to measure body fat. The Omron, hand held device and the Futrex infrared device. The Omron reads higher at around 22% and the Futrex around 15%. I've maintained the same weight and about the same body fat percent for as long as I can remember--maybe 20 years or so with the exception of pregnancy and postpartum (2x). I know most of the ins and outs of fitness as I've been in this field for a long time but it always amazed me to see women competition lean. My husband competed in bodybuilding on a local level for a while so I would watch him cut and knew how hard and extreme it is. I've just never been able to get those pesky love handles lost--you know the ones that hang over just a bit on the backs of your jeans..ugh! and I'd love to have a tighter/leaner core--not necessarily ripped. I also know that when people are in competition shape they are usually at their physical weakest and psychologically drained. I know that the pics we see in the mags are taken during this peak and it's very often that the same person is hard to recognize during their off season.

So, I'm aware of all this and do not want to go to that level--just leaner and tighter than I am now. If I get a chance I'll post some pics of me so you can see what I'm talking about. Thanks again for your thoughts and tips. :happy:

Some of us simply have problem areas that tend to store more fat. My thighs are very stubborn, they are fairly lean but the fat around the upper thigh, under my butt is not going anywhere.

But if you do not lift weights I recommend you start, the best way to “get tighter” or “look leaner” whatever that brings to mind is to strength train. Eating at a slight deficit will help you eliminate the fat, make sure to get enough protein.

Good luck ;-)
  • VegFit72
    Options
    I do weight train and lift heavy, for me. I lift 4 to 5x week getting all muscles worked. I highly recommend weight lifting to everyone.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I do weight train and lift heavy, for me. I lift 4 to 5x week getting all muscles worked. I highly recommend weight lifting to everyone.

You could be lifting too often... If you lift 5x a week then you'd better be doing body part splits (e.g. back, chest, arm, etc). If you work out 4x a week then it'd better be some type of split, such as upper/lower or a specific program based on body part splits like Wendler 5/3/1. If you do full body that often you are over-doing it and that will not help you achieve your goals. I was just doing a push/pull split but it was overworking my muscles, so I've been regressing! Going back to upper/lower.
  • VegFit72
    Options
    I do split the body parts ups -- don't forget I am a trainer :smile: I know all about over training. I think my biggest question is the how to with getting so lean and the diet part. I have days--such as today where I've gone over my calories for MFP but I'm sitting here and hungry right now. I haven't worked out today either--just shopping. So, contemplating whether to go eat more of call it a night. I think cycling calories helps too and maybe today will be a high cal day. Maybe I have not given it enough time and maybe I'm one of those that may not cut enough to see abs.

I did take some pics today. How do I post them on here?
  • VegFit72
    Options
    How do I post pics?
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I think it really just comes down to eating less/losing fat.

I'm 43, 5'5" and lost weight to below my actual goal, with the plan of then building muscle. It's worked pretty well. At my lowest weight, a DEXA scan put me at 15% BF, and a BIA scale put me at 11% BF (on the same day). Since then--for about 7 months--I've been using a BIA scale every week. My last check put me at 7% BF. Based on the difference 7 months ago, I figure this puts me around 11% BF on a DEXA today. (I go in for another scan in a week.) In those 7 months, I've been lifting weights to build lean mass. I've gained a handful of pounds, while dropping BF%. So the gain seems to be pretty much all muscle per the BIA scale, which is fantastic.

My husband is working with my trainer now too. He's supposed to get to 15% BF before the trainer will have him start lifting seriously. (The trainer says that he'll need to eat at an excess to build muscle, and until he gets to 15% BF, his body will be too proposed to store the extra calories as fat.)

Just one perspective.