Anyone else worried about their decreasing wardrobe?

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Charity shops and belts. They are your friends.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    You can have the waist taken in to make them last a little longer...it's not very expensive....find a tailor.
  • sphkhn
    sphkhn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I've been the same size since I was 13 so I had a ton of clothes! I went from having hundreds of outfits to having about 10 I need to wait until I am at least close to goal to buy new stuff based on my budget. I only have 3 pairs of pants that fit and two jackets. I am thinking it is time for a trip to goodwill or h&m to pick up some cheap basics. Also a bunch of my shoes no longer fit :noway:
  • violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I went and bought 4 nice pairs of jeans at a thrift store, 1 in each size down to my goal size. 1 dollar each. The smallest ones are the cuties so very good inspiration to reach my goal. and very economical.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores are your friend.
  • TheLadyBane
    TheLadyBane Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I went from a size 24 to a size 8 and loved buying new clothes every step of the way. It was hard to get attached to a favorite pair of jeans then shrink out of them, but it is so very worth it. I kept costs down by selling some of my old clothes to local consignment shops and shopping for new at local thrift shops. It also helps that my black compression pants double as tights under a dress for work, then I just switch shoes and tops to go from work to the gym.
  • chriamaria
    chriamaria Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Definitely freecycle. Especially if you live in a bigger city. Also craigslist. Check the free section often as well. I love goodwill because you can often get things half price. Target is also surprisingly an awesome place to go. Their clearance section is great and I have in the past found things for super cheap. Lately my wardrobe is comprised of hand me downs though.
  • violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Definitely freecycle. Especially if you live in a bigger city. Also craigslist. Check the free section often as well. I love goodwill because you can often get things half price. Target is also surprisingly an awesome place to go. Their clearance section is great and I have in the past found things for super cheap. Lately my wardrobe is comprised of hand me downs though.

^^agree and walmart usually has a clearance section as well. Most of the time I'll see something there for a great price, get to the register and it was priced wrong and was even cheaper! I got a ton of t shirts there the other day for a dollar each and they were marked 3 dollars.
  • Karissa_Clohan
    Karissa_Clohan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I invested in a lot of stretchy clothes and clothes that are meant to appear baggy, like tights and over sized sweaters. Also, as others have stated, thrift stores are your friend and clothing exchange groups on Facebook sometimes work.

Good luck, OP!
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to find some things that won't look terrible when they get too big. I did finally get rid of some old clothes because I felt so frumpy in them. It's not good for my self esteem to go around like that.

I found some great dresses at H&M for $12.95! I think they'll work for a while and I can take them in a tad if I need to later on. I'm a little thankful that it's almost time for layering - maybe I can wear old dresses in a new way.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Well, I never had much of a wardrobe to begin with [don't know if it's obvious.... but most of my money went to food :( ].
    I also never believed in spending lots of money on clothing and since I pretty much wear scrubs [and I am a homebody], I never had to worry about it. My mother [I'm almost 30 by the way] does keep buying me [unattractive] clothing because she can't stand my [lacking] wardrobe.

I have lost about 25 lbs since I officially started this diet and a lot of my clothes don't fit, but I still wear them with a belt. I have a few decent pieces of last year's clothes that I can throw on once I'm able to fit them again.

I agree with the advice given before me. Try some thrift shops and such. When I usually go I can never find anything that fits me, but you're in the average size range. You should be fine.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I used to have a ridiculous amount of pants, like a dozen jeans at once. And I'd have to try on four to five every time i got dressed, because i never fit the same ones day to day. Now i get by with two, one dark and one light wash, and they always fit, even straight from the dryer. I've never been so happy to have so few clothes.
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I've gone from a 22 to almost a 6 now. Having nothing in your closet is hard lol.

I've found some great deals on Groupon. I got a pack of 12 multicolored teeshirts for $36. I also got a couple of London Fog jackets for $40 each in my new size (i can't imagine getting much smaller and i got one med & one small). An amazing dress for $18. Old navy can be great if you shop smart i recently got 3 teeshirts for less than $10 and an amazing skirt on clearance for $8.
  • annadjanssen
    annadjanssen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Host a clothing exchange. Get friends and family together, have them clean out their closets, get together and dig through each other's stuff.
  • D1V1NED1VA
    Options
    I primarily wear dresses, so now they just look better on me.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I have barely any clothes left. I finally just bought a new pair of jeans so I at least have those. I don't have a lot of money after paying my mortgage and other bills, so I slowly buy things. I have been trying to replace my work uniforms since we don't get an allowance for them and all my shirts could fit 2 people in them. I still haven't replaced my work pants because they are expensive, but even with them tied I can barely keep them up. I love being smaller, but I really wish clothes were priced better!
  • heyyitsamandaa
    Options
    I know it sounds wierd but when i lost my first 50 pounds i wore maternity pants, i wasnt pregnant. Its just my stomach area shrinks before the rest of my lower half, so the elastic stretches to refit you.. this works for a while. Not sure if it would work for anyone else but its worth a try!! Ive had the same feling losing weight.. but its worth it to get to your goal dont worry the clothes situation will get better one day (atleast thats what i tell myself lol )
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    haha yeah i basically keep 2 pairs of jeans in my size and that's it. Losing 13" of your waist can be expensive XD. At least if u don't wanna look like a clown.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Go buy clothes from Goodwill.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Here is my two cents. No, enjoy it. But then again when I was younger I found nothing worng with shopping in Target and Goodwill. Now used clothing might be slightly used, but the only person that knows that is you. Now some pieces like suits suits and dress slacks might be different, but college seldom requires a suit, until you were interviewing, or at least that was for me. But if you are on a budget shop used and only pick up a few pieces at a time.