HELP! I can't manage to eat over 1100 calories!

Options

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Increase good fats. Good fats very important for many bodily functions.

Avocados, raw or natural nuts, olive oil, etc etc

This was my first thought as well
    You need a certain amount of fat in your diet and a diet of just veggies and chicken is unlikely to get you enough.

Whole eggs, full fat dairy, Greek yogurt, cooking oils, nuts, trail mix, granola, cheese, and all of the things mentioned above (including the occasional cheeseburger if you like them)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    ManzielIceCream_zps5673c589.gif

^This.

Some ice cream goes a long way!

Eat more caloric dense foods. Literally, you can eat anything you want, just fit it into your calorie goal (AKA, moderation).

But ice cream makes me happy and so ice cream it is!! I recommend Talenti Salted Caramel. Just in case you were looking for recommendations. :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • dcs2
    dcs2 Posts: 2
    Options
    I sent a message to your account with more details! I can off you advice from there :)
  • xaminmo
    xaminmo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you're having trouble with being over-satiated, then adding more of the same foods won't help.

If your current diet is too low in calories, then you need more calorie density.

Within the types of things you listed, your options include:
    * Nuts, seeds, avocado, etc
    * Steaks & chops (but not ground meats)
    * Starches & sugars during or following hard exercise

Processed foods like ice cream, cookies, or protein bars are fine if you're glycogen depleted, like after endurance exercise.

Other times, they are absorbed too quickly, and excess is stored as fatty acids in LDL, which ends up being stored as body fat.

Once it's stored as fat, it takes a lot more effort to convert back into glucose or pyruvate for fuel.

Realistically, you could eat one gummy bear every 10 minutes while awake but not dining, but that's not practical.
  • healthyhayles
    Options
    Hi there!

I think it's important for you to continue eating healthy foods to up your calorie intake. Try eating some healthy calorie-dense foods, such as dates. They're really good for you and have good levels of soluble fiber, assist in bone health and are great for your digestive system. They're useful if you're not too hungry either, because a just a few can up your calorie intake quite a bit. I just did a search on MFP, and according them 1 medjool date equals to 66 calories!

I also really like avocado as a good, healthy fat. Also, how about trying a fruit smoothie? That way you can pack in a whole lot of nutrients (and often calories) all at once, but incorporating healthy and natural ingredients. Sometimes you can even add avocado into your smoothies to make them creamier. :)
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Are you eating an healthy carbs? You need these to for energy and to help burn fat.
    Nonsense.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Im no expert but when I eat quinoa I notice that it is pretty calorie rich, but good for you. If its bland either spay fat free butter (ICBINB) or a splash of low cal salad dressing. Good luck!

Good advice, but no reason to use a low calorie or fat free product. Go with full fat olive oil or butter. It tastes good and will add some healthy calories.
  • fwhittaker
    fwhittaker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Maybe a week ago I was feeling exactly the same way as you. In fact my tummy was starting to sort of hurt when I ate dinner.

A few days ago I went to a friends house for dinner, which included home made fried donuts and a chocolate dipping sauce, which I of course ate and really enjoyed.

Now I'm ravenous all the time and am craving high sugar/fatty foods. Totally BIZARRE. Maybe I have a naughty food addiction that is easily triggered...

Anyway, I'm hoping the not very hungry feeling comes back now so I will find it easier to stick within my calorie limit! If I find it hard to eat my cals again, I'm just going to drizzle olive oil over dinner or have a spoonful of peanut butter now and again.
  • 6Brenda8
    Options
    I had a hard time meeting mine as well Started lifting recently and find more often now reaching calorie goals easier. But I find if I eat more JUST to meet it even if I don't feel hungry,, I end up feeling more lethargic or blah. As long as I have energy to get through the day and the gym, sleeping well, my mind feels clear, etc. I figure my body is getting what it needs for fuel despite what the math on the app may be telling me. Listen to your body, you know it best.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Realistically, you could eat one gummy bear every 10 minutes while awake but not dining, but that's not practical.

that's a great way to put into perspective eating foods you need- and making sure you can make it through your day- seriously.
    When people first change their diet, they try too hard to be healthy. Good health involves eating a variety of all the food. Not just baked chicken and broccoli.
    serious case of this it seems.

agreed. trying to hard to be "healthy"
  • MsDellyssa
    MsDellyssa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Kind bars are healthy protein and low sodium bars that taste great and can be tossed in a bag to snack on later. Roughly about 180 - 200 calories a bar. Good for a pick me up and small enough to not feel like you're stuffing yourself.
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I trust another MFPer will come through with the starvation mode doesn't exist speech, so I'll leave that for them. That being said, you should be eating your BMR (which could even be higher than 1400).

Calorie dense foods are your friend for making calorie goals easier to meet. I have weeks where I struggle to eat my BMR (which is around 1600 NET, so usually 1900-2100 calories a day) but for the most part, I'm more focused on hitting my protein goal than anything. Nuts, avocados, greek yogurt, peanut butter and toast, higher calorie fruits like bananas, etc would all be good options for you.

Or, indulge and have something you wouldn't class as healthy: I have chocolate, a cookie, brownie, ice cream, pizza, SOMETHING just about every day and just make sure it fits my macros. That's pretty well the only way I can happily eat at a deficit continually rather than "falling off the bandwagon" as many feel they do on a pretty regular basis.

+1
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode doesn't exist (there, I said it!). The less you eat, the more you lose.

Don't eat if you're full and are sure you're getting enough nutrients including good quality fats and protein.

If you have a history of being overweight AND you're not trying to gain, bulk, or add muscle AND you don't have a history of eating disorder AND you're not trying to improve athletic performance then "I'm not eating enough" will take care of itself.

When you DO feel hungry on a different day, or find something you want to eat (that chocolate lava cake after dinner on the weekend, or a 2nd/3rd/nth glass of wine), then you'll have excess calories for the week and can have what you like without guilt. There is nothing wrong with calorie cycling.

Don't forget to treat yourself or you'll fall off the wagon.
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You could always try some ice cream--I would. 1100 calories is fairly close to 1400, so not getting all the way to 1400 every day is probably okay. As long as you feel good, have energy, and are reasonably close to you intake goal, you will probably loose weight healthfully in a sustainable manner. You should also eat more if you are exercising. I would eat something you really like if you can resist over-eating. I have a total ban on sweets and other empty calories because I fear I will not be able to control myself. I think this is reasonably sustainable because I have found others more healthy foods that are almost as satisfying--this seems to work because I live alone and am not particularly social except with people at work and school so there is not much temptation. Just be aware of the symptoms of chronic under-eating. I have bad GI tract disorders and often experience nausea and vomiting that makes me not want to eat. I sometimes dip under 800 calories a day--and for someone that is tall, weighs 300 lbs, and exercises a lot, leaves me with negative net calories. When I do this for several days, I sometimes experience feeling cold, numbness of feet and hands, tingling skin, and the inability to sleep.
  • 21million
    21million Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Bananas. About 100 calories, gone in two seconds and horribly unsatisfying.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I trust another MFPer will come through with the starvation mode doesn't exist speech, so I'll leave that for them. That being said, you should be eating your BMR (which could even be higher than 1400).

Calorie dense foods are your friend for making calorie goals easier to meet. I have weeks where I struggle to eat my BMR (which is around 1600 NET, so usually 1900-2100 calories a day) but for the most part, I'm more focused on hitting my protein goal than anything. Nuts, avocados, greek yogurt, peanut butter and toast, higher calorie fruits like bananas, etc would all be good options for you.

Or, indulge and have something you wouldn't class as healthy: I have chocolate, a cookie, brownie, ice cream, pizza, SOMETHING just about every day and just make sure it fits my macros. That's pretty well the only way I can happily eat at a deficit continually rather than "falling off the bandwagon" as many feel they do on a pretty regular basis.

Well like I said, that is why I was asking for help, I was trying to avoid that very situation.

So if I had a brownie with some almonds and peanut butter (on top, yum), would that be considered a good indulgence to hep my calorie goal?
    But yes, I think I'm going to add even more avocado to my diet and maybe another handful of almonds. I will have a banana too...I usually avoid them since they are high in sugar, but then again...it's fruit, the health benefits outweigh any sugar negatives I feel.

That sounds delicious to me too haha.

There are no "bad" foods per-say. Some foods are high calorie, high fat, high sugar etc but they all have merit in some way. If it fits your macros, eat it. We need a certain amount of fat to function so if you have no medical reason to eat a low anything (fat, sugar etc) diet, there's really no reason to.

Those who eat really restrictive diets don't create the healthy relationship with food that you need to maintain weight loss. Just about every birthday you go to will have cake -- why avoid it for the rest of your life when you could just build a healthy relationship with it that makes it possible to have a little cake? (Assuming it's a kind you like and in a reasonable portion, that is haha)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    When people first change their diet, they try too hard to be healthy. Good health involves eating a variety of all the food. Not just baked chicken and broccoli.

Having said that, eating more protein and heathy fats is more satiating than most people are used to. So, that's where it comes from.

I wish I had your problem.

This. The problem will almost certainly go away, but one way to address it before you end up feeling unsatisfied is to incorporate more food into earlier meals rather than 400 extra calories into dinner. Add some Greek yogurt to breakfast or lunch or something similar.

You also might want to think about whether you are being too restrictive in your view of what's healthy and just focusing on "diet" foods (like egg whites). Cutting out most carbs seems like this might be part of what's going on, and usually fats get cut worse in that case. It's okay to eat meat other than skinless, boneless chicken and white fish/shellfish, for example. Sweet potatoes are healthy, potatoes are healthy (really, but the skin is good, so eat that too), quinoa, as mentioned above, it's okay to use some cheese or butter or oil, etc.
  • CoachChris78
    CoachChris78 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Cheese, then your problem goes away
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Bread and cheese.