Another loose skin question

Options
2»

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and started at 217 and I'm currently 164 with no loose skin to speak of. It's partially genetics and partially the rate at which you lose weight; you want to give your skin time to catch up to your shifting weight.

Add age to this. The older you are, the less your skin is able to shrink due to loss of collagen and elastin. But it's better to have loose skin than to be unhealthy OP! And our skin DOES have amazing abilities to shrink over time.
  • Gebri93
    Options
    image_zpsac9858c7.jpg

image_zps982fe665.jpg

I am worried about this too what do you think are my chances of loose skin. I'm 5 "7 and 180 pounds?
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    image_zpsac9858c7.jpg

image_zps982fe665.jpg

I am worried about this too what do you think are my chances of loose skin. I'm 5 "7 and 180 pounds?

Your pictures dont show up but i wouldnt worry one bit . 5'7 and 180 lbs isnt that overweight, i doubt you will have any loose skin problems. Most of us here with the worries are those who are overweight by 50, 75, 100+ lbs
  • juliasays77
    juliasays77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am about 5'4.5" and my highest weight (that I know of- I didn't own a scale for a long time) was 207, my MFP starting weight was 202.

I am now down to 132, and I do have some loose skin. However, I hit my goal weight 2 months ago and have already been able to see that the elasticity is coming back, and that skin is starting to tighten up.

My loose-skin areas are on my belly, just above my c-section scar, and the area where my butt & legs meet.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Im 5 foot 8 and 21 years old. January 20, 2013 I was 285 now I'm about 235 and I have quite a bit of loose skin on my midsection specially. It's starting to look like love handles in the middle of my back from extra skin. I have 2 rolls under my breast and my bellybutton really isn't there it a slit being excess skin covers it.

Hope I don't discouraged anyone but I would want to lie about it because you may have loose skin. Even though I might look weird naked I look a lot better in clothes and that's the way almost everyone sees me.
  • bobbi_jo2
    bobbi_jo2 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hey, valid concern. As you can see, everyone is just so different and its so hard to tell what will happen. I am 24 years old, and I am 5'5" and was at around 220-230 at my heaviest. After my first kid, I worked hard and dropped down to about 155 lbs. Then I got pregnant and went back to 210. After my second child, I was able to get to my lowest of 142 lbs. I definitely have some loose skin on my lower stomach, and perhaps a small amount on my upper thighs and upper arms. My stomach isn't super noticeable unless I am doing plank or something where gravity really takes over. But I have heard it can tighten up months after maintaining and I have already noticed mine getting slightly better.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Highest was 283, now 155 5'9".... 34 and I have it on my stomach, back of arms and my thighs are disgusting! :(

I try to stay positive and I've been lifting more weights and the arms are getting better.. 1 30 day squat challenge and 1/2 of 30 day glute challenge later I'm star-ting to see a very small difference in my thighs.. been over weight my whole life till the last 2 years. and learning how to dress 3/4 length sleeves and burmuda shorts have gotten me though..
    SO well see :)

Good luck!
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" -- started at 340, now around 166 and just about to turn 43. I have been heavy ever since my teen years

I have loose skin, but while it is there -- most days it doesn't bother me at all

problem areas are thighs and arms - stomach area isn't really that bad and I look awesome in my size 6 jeans -- much better than I looked in the size 26 jeans (when I could fit them)

I am wearing my sleeveless shirts and tank tops, because I am not ashamed about it - I wore tank tops before, why not now? (I live in Phoenix AZ, where it is hot most of the year, and hotter than hell for at least 3 months July through September)

I will see where I am in a year after maintenance, but I have to figure that it's going to be part of me for the most part and like some of the other commenters said, I would way rather have the skin than to have it all filled in again

EDITTED:
    I do work out with a trainer twice a week -- I think that has worked on minimizing some of the effect - but the muscles contrast nicely with the flab hanging underneath them
    :tongue:
  • Lauriej0426
    Options
    I am 5'2 started at 226, I'm 36, and now I'm 130. I do have loose skin. You cannot see it in my clothes. But I have noticed over time it is getting better. I hate, hate the loose skin on my belly but it is way better than the fat. And no one else knows it.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    It's crazy when I initially responded to this I was 165... I can't imagine being that weight anymore.

Update: I'm around 145 now and I do have loose skin on my stomach. Nothing that bothers me really. I've had a child and I think I look d*mn good considering. In certain skimpy tank tops you can tell slightly but in regular clothes it's undetectable.

My advice: If you are just starting and worrying about loose skin, DON'T. It's out of your control. Lose weight sensibly, lift weights, and go at a recommended 1-2 pounds/week. Even if you have loose skin you will be 1000 times happier not being fat. Just sayin'.

I've already posted this earlier in this thread but here's my stats:

Height: 5'3
    Heaviest pregnant weight: 224
    Heaviest weight after: 203
    Current weight: 145

ETA: I'm 28 years old
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person.

I was 280 at my heaviest and am now around 158. I had twins, so I had a lot of loose skin.
    I couldn't fix it alone, so had surgery (profile pic), but everyone is different.

I did see a lot of change with weights though - so try to incorporate that. For me, having twins just made it a bit harder to correct it myself.

ETA: I am 33, heaviest when pregnant 280, started MFP at 245, was around 162 in that before pic.
  • NewMsT
    NewMsT Posts: 33
    Options
    I have wondered this too and seeing some of the answers have been inspiring! Thanks :)
  • dschassie
    dschassie Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4", 32 years old. Since the last picture I have completed a 12 week weight lifting program and am about to do another 12 week program, this time following the nutrition plan that comes with it. Hoping it will improve the lose belly skin and butt saggin' :) Belly looks terrible when I am in a push up position, lots of flab hanging but it looks fine when standing straight and proper clothing helps! Here are some pics, I apologize in advance for the before, I look at them and see a giant white whale on the left….

Slide1_zps86731040.jpg
    Slide2_zpse0d77cbb.jpg
    723846ab-1e46-4d71-871a-7fd9f782e168_zps14543736.jpg
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4", 32 years old. Since the last picture I have completed a 12 week weight lifting program and am about to do another 12 week program, this time following the nutrition plan that comes with it. Hoping it will improve the lose belly skin and butt saggin' :) Belly looks terrible when I am in a push up position, lots of flab hanging but it looks fine when standing straight and proper clothing helps! Here are some pics, I apologize in advance for the before, I look at them and see a giant white whale on the left….

Slide1_zps86731040.jpg
    Slide2_zpse0d77cbb.jpg
    723846ab-1e46-4d71-871a-7fd9f782e168_zps14543736.jpg

:flowerforyou: :drinker: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :love: :heart: :heart: :heart: :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Ummmm....WOW! You look absolutely fabulous and like you're 10 years younger. I can't thank you enough for sharing these pics--you rock, period.
  • dschassie
    dschassie Posts: 192 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou: :drinker: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :love: :heart: :heart: :heart: :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Ummmm....WOW! You look absolutely fabulous and like you're 10 years younger. I can't thank you enough for sharing these pics--you rock, period.

Thanks, it took a liitle courage to post those before pics :sick:
  • AA222alondra
    AA222alondra Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi my names alondra and I'm 17 I'm around 180 to 183 lb and I wanna weigh 125 to 120 but I'm scared if I lose weight I mite have loss skin idk if I will can anyone help me to tell me if I will have loss skin and I'm also 5'8 or 5'9
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!