Are BMI Scales Healthy?

Options
Hey Guys...

I'm struggling with this. I have spent the last year and a half losing 53lbs. (253lb ->200lb currently). My target weight is 190lbs so I feel I'm in the home stretch. I went to the BMI scale to see where I am falling and it still has me near the OBESE levels. In order to be a healthy BMI weight, I would need to lose another 30lbs!!! I feel that at around 170lbs, I would look sickly and don't think that would be realistic and/or ideal. Are the BMI scales really an accurate portrayl of healthy living and status???

Male
37 yrs old
5' 9"
200lbs

Replies

• Maybe_7
    Maybe_7 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi,

the BMI is not the best way to measure whether someone's body is healthy or not, because it doesn't measure how much fat and muscle someone has. So in my opinion the body fat content is the more important number. And - as long as you are healthy and feel comfortable, the BMI is only a number.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I think it is a good indicator for a good weight range for 90+% of the population. Unless you carry a large amount of muscle mass it should be a good indicator of a weight range, though not health. In my profile pic my BMI is about 23, and I don't think I look sickly at all, and I tend to carry a decent amount of muscle mass.

I would suggest using the mirror and BF% as a better gauge. If you get down to 15-18ish% BF% and are still above "normal" on the BMI scale, then ignore it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    For the most part they would be a good indicator. They would NOT take into account someone who works out and is all muscle. Do you exercise? Are you strength training?
  • tkbuc
    tkbuc Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    For the most part they would be a good indicator. They would NOT take into account someone who works out and is all muscle. Do you exercise? Are you strength training?

Yes, I do 30min Elliptical and 1hr Weight Lifting four days a week.
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys...

I'm struggling with this. I have spent the last year and a half losing 53lbs. (253lb ->200lb currently). My target weight is 190lbs so I feel I'm in the home stretch. I went to the BMI scale to see where I am falling and it still has me near the OBESE levels. In order to be a healthy BMI weight, I would need to lose another 30lbs!!! I feel that at around 170lbs, I would look sickly and don't think that would be realistic and/or ideal. Are the BMI scales really an accurate portrayl of healthy living and status???

Male
    37 yrs old
    5' 9"
    200lbs

I'm close to your stats at 5'8" and 41 years old. I'm at about 180 right now and, while I prefer to be around 175, I would agree that you should throw BMI out the window. My BMI is around 27 which classifies me as overweight, but as others have said, BMI does not factor in body composition. Anyone who knows me would not classify me as overweight so I could not care less what BMI thinks. Use the mirror, your body fat percentage and, ultimately, how YOU feel about your fitness and appearance. That's what matters.
  • radimage
    Options
    The BMI scale is a joke.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    OP--you are in the overweight category at 200 pounds 69 inches. And, 168 pounds moves your BMI into a healthy range. Doctors use the BMI to gauge whether your 'fit' relative to the population. At certain ages, IE over 45, and if your BMI is overweight a physician will probably recommend a blood test for pre-diabetes. It is used by medical professionals for its ease and generally accepted standards when measuring you against 'all people'. Hope this helps.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options

Yes, I do 30min Elliptical and 1hr Weight Lifting four days a week.
    Then PISS on it!
    BTW-congrats!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    It depends on the individual but for me the BMI works.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I feel that at around 170lbs, I would look sickly and don't think that would be realistic and/or ideal.

I think you are doing the same as I did for years - kidding yourself you are more muscular and less fat than you are in reality.

I'm 5'9" and 163lbs and don't think I look sickly.
    By the way my initial "ultimate goal" was 175lbs, a weight I was comfortable at when I was in my twenties. I would advise getting to your goal, maintain a while and reassess if you are really where you want to be at that weight.

It's possible to be perfectly healthy and muscular at 200lbs and 5'9" but unless you are an elite athlete then it's unlikely IMHO.
  • tkbuc
    tkbuc Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone so much for your feedback! Sounds like for now I need to just continue to focus on getting to my 1st goal of 190lbs then re-evaluate based on how I look and feel. I just need to keep reminding myself that it's a journey and not a race...
  • roverrowe
    roverrowe Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything sijomial says - we have been MFPs for a while and he has been incredibly helpful with is sage advice, as I settle into near-maintenance mode. My first target weight was around 190, having only started at about 215. I got to 190 and was still fat and unhappy with my appearance. I went on to lose another 20lbs and am looking to lose another 5-6lbs. Only now am I beginning to see the body that I wanted emerge and I am hitting the exercise harder than ever to help me achieve my goals. I am concentrating on appearance and body fat % far more than weight now.

For the record, I am 5'11, and weigh 170lbs, aged 43.

FR sent as I would like to help you get to your goals!
  • 53welshlady
    53welshlady Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I think BMI is a good starting point for the majority of people, but you know yourself whether you have more fat that you want to lose. You have to be honest with yourself, and tell yourself if you are happy with what you see in the mirror.