Weight Loss/Wellabutrin

Options
I was recently put on Wellabutrin for anxiety. I am also over weight and other medication of this sort causes weight gain, this medication is not suppose to cause weight gain. The doctor gave me Wellaburtin because all the other medication made me sick and contributed to my weight gain, before starting this she told me that it's very likely that I would experience weight loss. I started taking this medication almost a month ago and so far I have lost 10 pounds(I am not against losing weight, I am actually very happy with the weight loss that is happening). Has anyone else taken this medication and did they experience weight loss, and if so how much?

Replies

• coypelican
    Options
    I have been using Zoloft, 50 mg. per day for a long time. I have gained weight on it. I spoke to my doctor about it and tried wellbutrin. I did have great energy and lost weight too, very quickly. I liked that part too. But, it made me very anxious. So, I went back on the Zoloft. I decided to see if I could manage my weight without feeling like Wellbutrin made me feel. So far, so good. I wish you the best!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    The name is Wellbutrin. It would be a great idea if you research the medication that your doctor handed to you.
  • Tipring
    Tipring Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I take Lexapro, and my OB/GYN added Wellbutrin on top of the Lexapro for weight loss itself. He said it is not approved by the FDA here, but it is what they use in England for weigt loss. I need to go back to his office to get weighed on his scale, but I weighed myself on my neigbors home scale on Sunday and it shows I lost almost 10 lbs. But, like I said I would like to step on his scale too. Or, see how it goes this Sunday to see how I weigh on my neighbors scale again.
  • rosita76
    Options
    Im on wellbutrin and I think if I ate like I normally should (not binge or emotionally eat etc.) then that side effect would be more obvious for me. I had been on Wellbutrin many years before and it had the weight loss effect. I been on it again for approximately 4 months. But I only started to get into the swing of things with my health, so we will see. Best of luck to ya!:smile::smile:
  • saychzzz
    saychzzz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've never taken Wellbutrin but I'm a nurse and have had quite a few patients who took it. That medication tells the brain that you're satisfied- that's why you tend to lose weight. It's used to stop smoking too. It will probably help you reach your goal a bit easier. Enjoy it!! haha
  • meljones
    meljones Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I started Wellbutrin in August to quit smoking, and it has worked great! Yes, I think it has contributed to weight loss or atleast helped me stick to it better. It is actually amazing that I lost weight while quitting smoking. The fear of gaining weight was an excuse for not quitting that I used for years...
  • dlee1967
    Options
    Lynne you look fabulous!
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    way back when i was 18ish i was on wellbutrin. i lost 30 pounds in a very unhealthy manner. I'm on wellbutrin again and have been for over a year, but i no longer get the appetite suppressant effect.
  • mirandam1076
    Options
    Hmmmm...somebodies response was a bit grumpy. I dont think she was looking for a spelling lesson!:grumble: I have taken WELLBUTRIN for years and not to much in the weight loss department.
  • sarakaufman
    sarakaufman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I take Lexapro, and my OB/GYN added Wellbutrin on top of the Lexapro for weight loss itself. He said it is not approved by the FDA here, but it is what they use in England for weigt loss. I need to go back to his office to get weighed on his scale, but I weighed myself on my neigbors home scale on Sunday and it shows I lost almost 10 lbs. But, like I said I would like to step on his scale too. Or, see how it goes this Sunday to see how I weigh on my neighbors scale again.
  • sarakaufman
    sarakaufman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am on both of them and I never loss weight until I went through my divorce. I am taking 300wellbutrin and 10 lexapro. what dose lexapro are you taking?
  • myladyelliott
    Options
    Taking mood altering drugs for weight loss scares me! I've tried every type of anti depressant out of necessity, and they can really, REALLY mess you up!

Wellbutrin did not help my anxiety - it made me want to kill people, literally! I hated everyone, including my husband who is the love of my life. I finally made an emergency visit to my psychiatrist when I couldn't stand it any more.

Anyone who's not already on it for the intended purpose, please think twice before starting. Using antidepressants for other uses might not be worth the other side effects you end up with - which can include suicide! BE CAREFUL!
  • makaylaeakes
    Options
    Thank you. That was my thought exactly, I did research the medication before and after it was prescribed. Forgive me for the typo.
  • Nikkerz620
    Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm on Celexa for anxiety and my doctor started me on wellbutrin to stop the weight gain and another side affect. I'm on the lowest dose and have not seen any difference yet. I'm hoping it at least stops the weight gain since I gained almost 30 pounds in 4 months from the Celexa and haven't been able to lose any of it so far no matter how hard I try.

I've read lots of stuff on SSRIs etc and it seems most make you gain weight but Wellbutrin tends not to. But every person is different. :)

Google Wellbutrin you'll find lots of discussions on what people have experienced on it.

Good luck. :)
  • makaylaeakes
    Options
    I have been on a few different medications for anxiety. My husband is in the Navy on his sea rotation and I am full time college student and the list goes on and on. Anyways, I have anxiety. All of the other medication has made me sick. Wellbutrin doesn't make me sick, however, it does make me not want to eat anything. So I have to force myself to eat. I don't feel so anxious all the time like I did, which is great. My husband also said that he notices the difference in my mood and actions. He says, "You seem like you feel better." Thank you all for the input. I was just curious and wanted input, because I was sick of reading reviews. :smile: Thank you again!