Spinning leads to bulky thighs in girls?

Options
i do kickboxing thrice a week...lately i wanted to tone up my thighs and thought of joining a spinning class since i did enjoy the cycle back at my gym years ago..ive been researching(googling) on this topic,but im not getting a straight answer...
will spinning increase and tighten my thighs(i know muscles will be built) or will it cause it to look slimmer..?

Replies

• CoachChris78
    CoachChris78 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Spinning won't make you look bulky, it also won't 'tone' your leg muscles since that is a made up thing.

Spinning will help you lose some weight and will increase your cardio capability.

If you want to get sexy slim legs the bes thing to do is to lift heavy. It will drop your bodyfat whilst giving you hard and shapely muscles.

you don't need to worry about gaining bulk unless you eat loads and take supliments.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Resistance exercise will tend to build muscle if you are eating at a calorie surplus, and tend to help you maintain muscle while you lose fat if you are eating at a calorie deficit. When you first start exercising you will get a little of both, but it takes quite a bit of work over time for most women to get anywhere near bulky with a low body fat percentage. As for spinning? No, it won't make you bulky.
  • CLM1227
    CLM1227 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    "I often tell my students “Your butt is your engine!” to emphasize that power comes from hamstrings and quads. The spinning system is certainly lower body-focused, and it is a common misconception that resistance builds bulk. However, resistance is chiefly used to engage the leg muscle, stabilize bodyweight, and prevent injury. My dear resistaphobes, please take note!"
    - See more at: http://sweat.burnthis.com/health-questions/does-high-resistance-on-spinning-bikes-leads-to-thunder-thighs#sthash.qt9fMmpu.dpuf

Of course, anything with resistance is going to build muscle - or at least maintain it.

I would think you'd be limited on how much you build by the amount of protein you are consuming.

I waffle on this one. I'm not a spinning fan (my butt doesn't like the saddle), but I've seen people have amazing weight loss results while doing it. I have heard you don't build muscle while eating at a deficit, so resistance is to maintain the muscles you have.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If that's you in your profile picture, I wouldn't worry about it. It takes quite a bit to build muscle to the point of "bulking", spinning will help you maintain it.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    ... standing on medium to high resistance / up hill spinning for nice tight calves (and to avoid a sore bum!)!
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Yup. It's why all the girl brahs skip leg day *nods* true story

kelly-kapur-head-shake.gif
    :tongue:
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I have been spinning for many years and it is a great cardio workout. I don't agree with other posters that it will not build strength - the tension and amount of the "out of the saddle work" will result in muscle gains if you work hard (I do). Seating there with light tension and minimal effort (i.e. ignoring the instructor) will not get you far. That said, I couldn't agree more that lifting is great and it a much more efficient way of gaining strength. I have also been doing this for years and in recent few months I have been doing heavier lifting with a lot of squats, glut thrusts, deadlifts etc. with progressively higher weights. My legs are getting stronger and gaining much more definition - bulking no. I would never recommend that anyone just do spinning, particularly since it doesn't do anything for the upper body. Mixing it up is always good, particularly if just doing the same type of work out will result in you working out less overall.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I for one have NEVER seen a serious biker or spinning class addict with big thighs. :)
  • handyandy9x
    handyandy9x Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Google the German cyclist "Quadzilla" :noway:
  • iiprincesaii
    Options
    Thank you for all your inputs :)
    They've all been super helpful!!!
    I guess im going to join that spinning class after all.. :D
    Im so glad spinning wont lead to bulkiness!I was really disappointed when i read all those articles which stated it does.I can now happily look forward to the class..
    @Liftng4Lis-yup,thats me
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options

LOL I feel like that has to be the result of steroids or some other fitness routine than biking alone? Sounds like he lifts incredible amounts of weight while doing squats. I'm about 90% german/prussian in ancestry myself... I can say genetics probably are a big factor for him...huge thighs (fit or not) are almost inevitable in my gene pool. ROFL.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    <<< My thighs... I teach spin and also ride quite a bit... From Spring to fall I rarely lift lower body, I just climb more. Fast flats with little tension is good for cardio, but won't do much for the legs. Climbing and tension can tighten things up... My thighs are quite toned, but not huge. You can browse my profile pics if you'd like.
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If you take a ton of Anavar you might get huge thighs, otherwise you will be fine.
  • iiprincesaii
    Options
    <<< My thighs... I teach spin and also ride quite a bit... From Spring to fall I rarely lift lower body, I just climb more. Fast flats with little tension is good for cardio, but won't do much for the legs. Climbing and tension can tighten things up... My thighs are quite toned, but not huge. You can browse my profile pics if you'd like.
    Your thighs are well toned *ThumbsUp*
    im looking forward to toning my thighs through spinning...lets hope i see results that i want in due time..im not in any hurry anyway :)
  • iiprincesaii
    Options
    When i had researched on spinning earlier,most of the pictures that popped up were of his!no wonder i freaked out
  • iiprincesaii
    Options
    If you take a ton of Anavar you might get huge thighs, otherwise you will be fine.
    i dont take those :)
  • CoachChris78
    CoachChris78 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

Anavar won't create much bulk, it's more for stregth.

deca on the other hand...