What are realistic goals for improving running times?

Options
I've been able to run 10k in about an hour for a long time now, haven't really been concerned about improving speed at all so I just jog along comfortably for fun and relaxation.

Lately i've been getting a bit more 'into it,' thinking about speed and distance. I jog 15+ km regularly and I can do a half marathon running about 9.2km/hour without stopping, so i'm aerobically fit. I'm just slow. I want to do my next half marathon with a much better time but first I think need to improve my 10k and 5k speeds.

Anyway, my question is, what are realistic goals to set for improving speed? How long would it take, with consistent training, to get to a sub 55minute 10k? Or a sub 25 minute 5k? (My current 5k pb is 28 minutes).

Replies

• ES110791
    ES110791 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    bump
  • spideywebb77
    spideywebb77 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Here check this out:

http://www.active.com/running/articles/5-ways-to-improve-your-5k-speed

Hope you find it helpful. You should be able to use this for longer races also.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    This is the order I always recommend:

1) run consistently about 25 miles per week, spend at least 4-6 months getting this base (you maybe already be here)
    2) add strides first and extend weekly mileage
    3) add a tempo run/threshold type run once a week
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

1) run consistently about 25 miles per week, spend at least 4-6 months getting this base (you maybe already be here)

4) if you're carrying extra weight, try to lose it
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely!!!!
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

^^ All of ^^THIS.
  • ES110791
    ES110791 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Thanks. I'm not. I'm running a half marathon in about a month and i've been running between 40-50km a week in the last few months.

I was thinking after it i'd make my running much more focused on interval training? What are strides? Do you think those goals are reachable by Christmas/in the new year or am I way overshooting? I have no idea how long it takes to improve speed?

What are 'strides'? How do you incorporate them into normal running?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Thanks. I'm not. I'm running a half marathon in about a month and i've been running between 40-50km a week in the last few months.

I was thinking after it i'd make my running much more focused on interval training? What are strides? Do you think those goals are reachable by Christmas/in the new year or am I way overshooting? I have no idea how long it takes to improve speed?

What are 'strides'? How do you incorporate them into normal running?

Strides are just short, controlled bursts of speed for about 20 seconds, and repeated. When I do them, it's usually after a 2-3mi warmup, and I do the stride for 20sec, jog 20sec, repeat 6-8 times.

How long? Everyone is different. I would imagine that given a course that is conducive to speed and yourself having a good day and proper rest you absolutely could do it by the end of the year. Personally, I don't get in the habit of making short term speed goals. Run your races this year, and set some SMART goals for 2015 and go from there.
  • burnsgene42
    burnsgene42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    What used to work for me was basicly teaching my body to run at a faster pace. You are running aprox.10 min miles. in the 10K.
    Keep doing your long/EASY runs. One day a week or part of your workouts find a measured distance that you can sustain a 9 min/mile pace. Wheather it's a 1/4 mile or a mile just run that 9min. pace. (or whatever your new goal pace is.) take your time and continue running your goal pace every week do more distance at that pace or do more intervals at the goal pace. As it gets easier just work it into your races. If you can't sustain the new pace the entire race just try it for the last mile , or half mile.
    This worked for me down to about a 5min mile (just a mile race) Then I just couldn't get any faster.
    Until I injured my knee on the job and had to give up running . Now I bike.
    Good luck with your training.