Strenght Training that can be done at home

Options
I can't afford a gym so getting on the weight lifting machines is not happening.

Can anyone suggest or point me in the direction of a website/dvd that has some strength training exercises I can do at home?

Please and thanks.

Replies

• sarahsper
    Options
    I have a wii and the wii fit balance board, it has a range of exercises, muscle workout/aerobic/balance/yoya/training plus, i really enjoy burning calories and all is tracked on screen and progress is saved using wii fit plus!! I find this way of excersising alot more fun than anything else and i seem to be sticking to it, its working for me, It also gives me a personal trainer and i have to follow the moves he/she does on screen, dont know if its for youbut i thought id share it with you... good luck ...sarah :happy:
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Power 90, Power 90 Master Series, P90X, etc...

Jillian Michaels videos...30 Day Shread, etc...
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    P90X!
  • athenafl
    athenafl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sit ups/crunches, push ups, bridges, squats, lunges, and "superman" should work great. Planks are good, too. You don't even need weights. If you aren't sure how to do the moves properly or are looking for variations, search YouTube.
  • tuskegee4
    tuskegee4 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Turbulence Training by Craig Ballentine. He is all over you tube.
  • peggybrant
    peggybrant Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    wii active games
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    bodyrock.tv
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I bought some cheap free weights at walmart, a few stability balls and bands all together it coat me about 55 and every so often I add alittle to it.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    LOL, you kidding me right?
  • nelliemagee
    Options
    you can use cans/tins of food from your cupboard as weights. You can either hold them in your hands and use them or get a broom stick with buckets tied on each end and fill the buckets to your desired weight. you can then do squats, lunges, bicep curls etc with them.

good luck
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    LOL, you kidding me right?

Thanks for that helpful comment. it was so totally amazing and really helped boost my confidence.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    A real thank you to everyone else who's commented so far. You were actually very helpful.

I think I'll be avoid P90x for a while. I am hideously unfit and currently can't make it all the way through an hours workout DVD. I'll get out my Wii Fit and look for the exercises that people have mentioned.
  • katzplay62
    Options
    If you're on Netflix and have a compatible device (any game system and lots of DVRs), there are plenty of exercise vids to stream to your telly. There's a great Pick-Your-Level Pilates one that I like plus some strength training ones as well.

For weights, canned goods work or refill a couple water bottles. If you're really a beginner, just your own body weight may be enough to start.

Cheers

Kat
  • Sillybunni
    Sillybunni Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyrock.tv/
    This woman is awesome- no gym needed!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Check out Jillian Michaels for Beginners. There is a "frontside" and "backside" DVD. I've done the Backside one and it's a combo of cardio and weights so I assume the Frontside is similar. If possible, check out DVDs at the library first before buying one. I was going to buy some workout DVDs but the library has a wonderful selection which saved me lots of $$$.
  • TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Sit ups/crunches, push ups, bridges, squats, lunges, and "superman" should work great. Planks are good, too. You don't even need weights. If you aren't sure how to do the moves properly or are looking for variations, search YouTube.

What is the superman? Planks are killer!! I just started working out at home and a friend showed me how to do those..I nearly died..lol
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    EA Sports Active 2 , I do it with the Xbox360, & Kinect. It has a heart rate monitor with it. ALSO, counts ALL your calories.

Target has the cheapest dumbbell weights too. I bought a set up to 10 pounds and they are in colors, I like that. I've been up to my red ones in the past - I think those were 5 lbs, but since I haven't done this in AGES, I'm back down to the blue ones that are 2 lbs. I'm looking forward to getting up to my yellow ones in 3 lbs. After 10 lbs they just come in black or silver.
  • sarahsper
    Options
    good on you!!! hope you enjoy wii fit as much as me, just to mention wii fit plus(newer version) monitors your calories but the older wii fit doesnt, good luck :smile: