Barefoot or Shoes

Options
Does it matter if I wear shoes or am barefoot during exercise? I prefer to be barefoot, but I'm afraid it messes with the form at times. All the DVDs I have show the instructor wearing shoes. But many yoga videos show them barefoot.

Replies

• shadowofnature
    Options
    I always preferred barefoot with a mat but if I didn't have a mat I would wear shoes.
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    I just read an article today on MSN about this. It stated that it could work better for you being barefoot. I think what really matters is how comfortable you are with it...either way.
  • chevysarah
    Options
    I tried not wearing shoes but I found that my legs were really sore... not a 'good burn' sore, but a painfully strained sore. As soon as I started wearing shoes to work out the pain went away... so I guess its really up to what feels best for you.
  • Pinoy_Pal
    Pinoy_Pal Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I prefer barefoot as well...better balance and there's something about the primal aspect to it.

:o]
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    For certain exercises I wear shoes...for others, I usually am too lazy to remove them, but would prefer them off.

For lifting and cardio exercises, I wear shoes. Nothing like dropping a 20 lb weight on an unprotected toe to feel good the rest of the week. Also, for jumping/bouncing exercises, I prefer to have the extra cushioning. I've pulled my arch a few times doing exercises in Power 90 without shoes. Putting shoes back on helped ease the pain.

For yoga exercises, I definitely like to go without shoes. It gives greater dexterity on certain moves.
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I wear my stilettos when I do wii zumba..does that count.:bigsmile:
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I always am barefoot when I'm working out with any of my workout games on Wii or Kinect. I don't like wearing shoes in general so I don't...If I went to the gym or something I totally would or when we go on walks outside, but otherwise barefoot :)
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I wear my stilettos when I do wii zumba..does that count.:bigsmile:

Lol! I love it!! My husband tells me I should put some on when I place Just Dance 2!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I do barefoot when I am exercising at home. :)
  • christina_theresa
    christina_theresa Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I prefer being barefoot as well. I have really wide feet so my feet tend to go numb when I am working out. If you're looking to get barefoot shoes, the shoes that I use are called Vibram Five Finger shoes. Love them!
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Barefoot at home for everything but weightlifting!
  • getfitforlife
    getfitforlife Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you look at analysis of the impact of running with shoes vs running barefoot, clearly there is less impact on your body when running barefoot.

Impact Analysis with shoes:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0UlMam8-lw

Impact Analysis barefoot:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6YhVN_YIUk&NR=1

If you notice in the first video the strike, while in the second video it is a smooth transition, this equates to a lesser impact on your joints, and therefore less likelihood of injury.
  • jaded_rose
    jaded_rose Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I like to be barefoot but I don't think that my feet will take the impact of my exercises. I started out doing them barefoot and I ended up getting a heel splint and it took me weeks to get over it. I now wear shoes when I exercise to absorb the impact of the jumps and cardio. I have carpet and home but it's still not enough for me to exercise.

It really depends on what your doing.
  • lexielove123
    Options
    I totally would if I could. When my *kitten* needs a push, and my thighs need a bit of help, I wear heels day in, day out. Totally helps out with toning, at least for me! Once I'm good enough at zumba on the wii, i'll start with kitten heels and work my way up to stilettos!
  • MikeK51
    MikeK51 Posts: 317
    Options
    I went to barefoot recently and like it much better. I also saw the article in MSN today recommending bare feet.
    It's one of the nice things about coming home, getting changed out of my dress shoes, and not having to worry about getting the sneakers on too.
    But, I can understand some of the concern about injuries, etc. So do what's comfortable and works for you.
  • wpij25
    wpij25 Posts: 161
    Options
    I prefer barefoot as well...better balance and there's something about the primal aspect to it.

:o]

I agree, but it's a personal thing...as soon as I get in the door at home the first to go are my shoes and socks :laugh:
  • kristimartiny
    Options
    I saw that article too..whatever you are comfortable with :)
  • AndyBee
    AndyBee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. I would have figured that shoes help protect your feet. Seems like I'm wrong. Oh well, I prefer the barefoot way :)
  • sandmart2009
    sandmart2009 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I am more comfortable with being barefoot. I dance when I am alone and can go from modern dancing to latin-ballroom. I have more control over my movements when I am not wearing shoes.
  • smalltowngirl504
    Options
    Thanks for asking this , I was wondering the same thing, as I work out barefoot at home.. some good responses here, ty!!