AM or PM workout?

Options
Working out during which time of the day is better for fat loss?
A. 6am - 7am
B. 8:30pm - 9:00pm

Replies

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters. They say it's "better" to do it in the AM when you are wide awake and so your schedule doesn't get in the way. However, some people like myself prefer to do my major exercise when I get home from work at night when my toddler is asleep. As long as you're burning those calories, I think you'll lose weight.
  • jkgeary
    Options
    I've heard AM is best, but for me its impossible I work second shift and am wide awake from midnight to about 3am. I usually use working out to help make me tired.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    There is no greater benefit at choosing one over the other. Do what you think will make you consistently go. For me personally, I hate working out in the afternoon because I'm tired by the end of the day and have less will to go to the gym. Early morning, when no one's there is perfect for me.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you are working out, it doesn't matter. I go after work at 730am and on my nights off I go around 530am. I'd never be able to go before work because I'm just too tired when I wake up.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    It literally does not matter.

Do the same workout at either time of the day, you'll burn the same amount of calories and experience the same amount of fat loss.

BAM. Science.
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Having done both, I would say that it does not matter and it is totally up to your schedule and preferences. If you are a morning person, then by all means do it in the morning. I actually forced myself to get up early (although exhausted) and worked out for a week, felt beat up the whole time and didn't lose a pound. I have found it is easier for me and less stressful on my body to exercise after work because I've always required a lot of sleep. When I worked nights, however, I could get up at 5-6 P.M. (technically my morning then) and it worked out great. Just do what you will stick with and works best for you.
  • jamesford2013
    Options
    as a type 1 diabetic and having knowledge on glucose stores etc, I believe it may be better in the AM, if your thinking about losing weight anyway.........

when we are active the body uses glucose in the blood stream first, along side the stores of glucose in the muscles of the body [glycogen] and liver........

in the morning, after fasting, the levels of these stores are low, so your body will run out of this fuel source quicker and then need to use the fat stores after that..........

this is my basic understanding of the process, but I believe it to have some truth............:)
  • robert5891
    Options
    workout whenever it is convenient for your schedule and you feel you can bring your best effort and focus. Time of day doesn't affect the "fat-burning" capacity of the workout