24 Year-Old SAHM Gettin' Sleeved!

Options
Hi, there! My name is Desiree and I'm a stay-at-home momma to a sweet little 3-year old girl, and I'm here to track my calories as I prepare for a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy! I've got about 160 lbs to lose, and this is my year to do it! (Well, START it!)

I'd love to connect with some other people that are also getting sleeved or have had the surgery, or anyone else that has a lot to lose or has lost it already!

Anyone have any success stories to keep help keep my nerves at bay?

Replies

• bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Well, a year ago I was on 10 different prescriptions for blood pressure, cholesterol, anxiety and asthma. I was pre-diabetic and had zero social life as I didn't have the confidence to even consider dating since my divorce 4 years ago. Today, I am in my goal range, (I may let a few more vanity pounds go while it's still relatively easy), I'm off all the meds with normal stats, exercise daily and have a very active social life. I've literally transformed from introvert to extrovert. I'm sure she was always in there, just smothered by the fat girl, lol. I SO wish that this procedure was around when I was 24! You'll have your health the rest of your life and be able to keep up with those little ones!

Procedure wise, mine was better than textbook. My surgeon is a rockstar! In the hospital 24 hours back to work the next week, never took narcotics, (they tend to make things worse for some and I'm one of them). Zero complications other than having to re-learn how to balance my motorcycle with 90 pounds less of me!
  • Mom2Cubs
    Mom2Cubs Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved on 8/18/14 and have lost 26 lbs so far. Zero complications from surgery. Still trying to relearn eating. (Hint, you will soon be eating smaller portions than your 3 year old!) I have recommended the surgery to others. It is truely a life style change, but well worth it.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I thought this was about tattoos
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Also thought this was about tattoos.
  • frayst
    Options

Me too lol
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    No direct experience, but my mom had a different weight loss surgery. Be sure you use it as a tool and change your life style including adding in exercise once your doctor says it's okay for you to start and make sure you stick with the suggested diet plans. My mom lost a ton of weight, but she still hated how she looked afterwards. However, she was low on a lot of vitamins because she didn't focus on nutrient dense food, and she lost a lot of muscle mass because she refuses to do weight bearing exercises (water aerobics only, and then only occasionally). She'd eat too much and too fast and just never got used to what she was supposed to eat.

You need to pick up the good habits along the journey and keep at them once you're at goal. My mom just had a revision to her surgery and has again stalled because she's not following the plan. Learn from her mistakes; it's not a fix, it's a little help for you to develop your own habits to create a healthier you.

Good luck!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm of a completely different mind set. This is the second post in 2 weeks about getting sleeved and I still think tattoos.
  • emily889
    emily889 Posts: 296 Member
    Options

Ditto
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm of a completely different mind set. This is the second post in 2 weeks about getting sleeved and I still think tattoos.

You are not alone, my friend.
  • da_bears1008
    Options

likewise
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Totally thought this was tattoo related as well.

As far as the real topic, I have no input OP. Best of luck.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Hi, there! My name is Desiree and I'm a stay-at-home momma to a sweet little 3-year old girl, and I'm here to track my calories as I prepare for a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy! I've got about 160 lbs to lose, and this is my year to do it! (Well, START it!)

I'd love to connect with some other people that are also getting sleeved or have had the surgery, or anyone else that has a lot to lose or has lost it already!

Join the VSG'ers and sleevers group on MFP. you will get helpful info. Success, like all wt loss, is entirely up to you. VSG has a 50% long term success rate. 50% of pts change their relationship with food, 50% do not. The surgery will only give you 20-30lbs of automatic wt loss, after that you will work for every lb and you will manage your intake forever or you will regain. Good Luck
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    <----disappointed
  • dMonster01
    dMonster01 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
  • ink_b1tch
    Options

Join the VSG'ers and sleevers group on MFP. you will get helpful info. Success, like all wt loss, is entirely up to you. VSG has a 50% long term success rate. 50% of pts change their relationship with food, 50% do not. The surgery will only give you 20-30lbs of automatic wt loss, after that you will work for every lb and you will manage your intake forever or you will regain. Good Luck

^^ this. I had Gastro Bypass full open at age 36 had spent over 15 years battling my weight. You MUST change your lifestyle and your way of thinking. I lost all my weight in 8 months 130lbs, Dr. said text book! I am almost 4 years post op, if i do not stick to exercise and using the skills I learned, I gain. When I gain, I get back to the basics I learned with my Gastro. There is no magic in operations no matter which version; there is only you and a new tool to help you get started. This is also drastic. When I stumble off my path, I gain, and I have number of issues (tired, hair loss, weak, upset gastro track), the list goes on. DO WHAT you are supposed to do, or this will NOT be better for you, in long run you could be worse health wise, just a skinny chic with lots of medical issues. Take advice from your "elders" on this one, we are post op out further than you will be and have learned our lessons.

TATTOO wise, it always about the tattoos.....
  • Running_down_a_dream
    Options
    Lol; When you said "Sleeved " I thought you were getting tattoos on your arms. Now it all makes sense.
    John:laugh:
  • KEVERDVM
    KEVERDVM Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have went to see about getting the sleeve, but not sure that my insurance will cover it and I am going to have to try to come up with $27,00 anybody have any ideas?
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm a middle-aged, white man and I know that this post, this opinion, will sound harsh. It may well be that you have a medical condition whereby you cannot lose weight unless drastic surgical means are taken. However, from what I read of your profile, that does not apply therefore, I cannot support your choice.

According to medical evidence, you'll drop about 30 lbs after your $30K operation. Yup, that's $1000 per lb. After that you'll fight for every ounce, just like everyone else on this site. Now, what about the remaining 130 lbs? Do you seriously believe this is the ONLY WAY that you can drop you weight. I, for one am calling BS.

According to your profile, you've already dropped 20 lbs and, you're a young woman. Should you really make a permanent, life-altering decision right now? After all, you've proven that you can lose weight.

There are thousands of people on MFP, men and women, who have lost well over 100 lbs without surgery. Three of them are in my little circle. I've dropped 40 and you've already dropped 20. You've already proven that you can lose weight. It is just going to take a couple of years and you're going to need some friends along the way. Think of it this way, your daughter's a preschooler now. By the time she starts First Grade, you can be a size 5 (or so), without surgery, if you want to. You can look hot in a bathing suit by the time your daughter starts school, if you want to.

You're an adult and you can make your own decisions but, since you've thrown it out there and asked for opinions, I must ask, "Is this really your only option?"

I went down the same road and decided that I would try once again before opting for surgery. I firmly believe that this time next year, I'll be down to about 200 lbs from my current 295. Now, I may only make it 70% of the way there in a year, nonetheless, the weight loss and life will be the result of effort on my part,

If you have no other choice and if your doctor says you have no other choice and, if another doctor says that you have no other choice, proceed. However, if that does not apply, see where you are in 6 months before you make the decision.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Good luck!! Maybe after your surgery, you could also go and get a sleeve tattoo... just to make those of us who were expecting something else happy. lol.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

Me too lol

+1 more...every single time I check, because no matter how many times I see these threads pop up, I never think it's going to be about surgery, I think tattoos EVERY time...lol