healthy, low fat foods?

Options
Hi! Every day, I am under my caloric intake but borderline on my fat intake. Any suggestions on healthy foods I can eat that are low in fat? I've gotten low fat peanut butter, yogurt, cheese, milk, etc. But need more suggestions as I run out of the allotted fat amount way before my calorie (or anything else for that matter) amount.

Replies

• RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Fruit is a decent option. Anything very low fat is probably going to be primarily carbs. It's not very usual to see protein without fat in a food. if you can stand eating them without butter brussell sprouts would be a good call. But all in all I would say fruit is your friend here.

Is your diary accurate though? Cos from seeing there I don't see you going over fat. In fact I see you undereating ...
  • healthyhayles
    Options
    I know you probably know this already, but just want to remind you that 'fat' isn't necessarily the enemy. Fat is actually really important for our everyday function! :) Looking at your diary, it looks like you don't really need to be concerned too much about lowering your fat. But I admire you for wanting to eat healthily. Remember it's always more important to eat healthy, nutritious foods to nourish your body instead of restricting your calories. :)
  • rachelwatters
    Options
    Thanks you two for posting. I need all the advice and help I can get.
    I like brussell sprouts, thanks for that tip. I love fruit too so I'll keep that in mind.

Saturday isn't accurate because I was travelling and didn't have data but I did stay under. I log EVERYTHING I eat. It's %100 accurate. I was really unhealthy so I'm trying so hard to change my eating habits. I know some days I under eat because I'm worried I've gone over. There are a few days I am going over my fat intake.
    When I log it at night and on those days it says I am not eating enough, is that when I need to go eat something? I want to be eating healthy. I don't want to be under eating, I understand that causes problems as well.

I totally agree, thanks for posting that about Fat. Such good suggestions and encouragement. Thanks guys!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Low fat peanut butter will have added sugar and starch. That's not a win.
  • rachelwatters
    Options
    so what's your suggestion? The organic PB I'm eating right now doesn't put me over in other areas
  • Rhaynestorm
    Rhaynestorm Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Veggies are always easy. They don't have a huge amount of fat and you can eat lots.

Really though I wouldn't obsess too much about the fat. I usually try to focus more on if things are balanced between fat, protein, and carbs. (The nutrition pie chart).
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Vegetables and lean meats tend to be low in fat, and don't contain "low fat" food labels that is actually "chemical crap storm" labels in disguise.
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You could try powdered peanut butter (PB2 or protein plus peanut flour) - it is lower in fat and calories. I really like it for smoothies, peanut sauces, etc. It can be good in a sandwich, though a little bland compared with the regular stuff (a touch of salt and/or honey can fix that). Personally, I like the protein plus brand more than PB2 - it has a more toasted nutty flavor and is less sweet.
  • keckenrode1
    keckenrode1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi All-I recently re discovered pulled turkey breast. It is roasted, skinless turkey breast in it's own juices, nothing else added.

It has been a great addition to my diet. Adding in a lot of protein with very little fat and carbs.

I eat 3-4 ounces with a piece of 15 grain organic bread and a slice of tomato. AMAZING!

Enjoy!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Not that you want high fat foods. But focusing on low fat is not a great idea in general. Focus on Calories in general and if you keep your fat under 25% of your calories consumed you should be fine.

29509743.png
  • Halbared
    Halbared Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Quark, Fage zero fat yoghurt.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you can eat more fat that your current target suggests. I eat at a 30%/35%/35% break down of Carbs/Protein/Fat. There is no reason to keep it at whatever the auto setting for MFP is for. So unless you have an actually medical reason to eat lower fat (such as gall bladder issues), I honestly suggest upping it some.

I also went back about a weeks worth and noticed you are under your calories just about daily, with some where you are WAY under. That should be your bigger concern and what you should focus on first.
  • rachelwatters
    Options
    Man I LOVE this website, Everyone had REALLY good suggestions and advice/info. Thanks all.

I end up logging everything in, seeing I'm close to or over my allotted fat content, and then not eating anything else that night because I'm afraid I need to go over. So I will make sure I'm eating more calorie wise and not thinking that way as much.

mm pulled turkey breast and yogurt. Fruit I love. powdered PB is a good idea and my hubby will LOVE it in his shakes too.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Just remember here that your body DOES have coping mechanisms. As long as you keep within your calories going over a bit on fat really won't matter much. However undereating DOES matter a lot. You actually have to be binging pretty damn hard before over eating becomes more medically dangerous than undereating. Do not underestimate the damage that truly depreiving yourself will do to your body.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Most seafood is very low fat and full of protein. It's super fast to cook, also. You can make it delicious with just a squeeze of citrus juice (lemon or lime) and some herbs and spices without adding any fats. You can also steam it with fresh herbs, grill or bake it for lots of flavor.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    I try to look at my protein and fat as minimums. I try to at least hit them, going over is fine too. To this end (fat-wise) I eat full-fat nut butters, full and reduced-fat cheeses(love Cabot's 50% reduced-fat sharp cheddar), reduced-fat yogurt, half and half, olive oil, butter(spreadable with olive oil), mayo, bacon fat and a variety of cuts of meats: chicken breast and thigh, tilapia, 85% lean ground beef, sirloin or strip steaks, pork tenderloin or sirloin cutlets, bacon, deli turkey... etc
  • rachelwatters
    Options
    thank you guys. I never knew eating too little was almost more detrimental than eating just over too much. Look at them as minimums, ok good suggestion. Love seafood. Good reminder, thanks.