Birth control and losing weight?

Options
Hi!
I'm 20,5'3,124lb.
I've been on a diet for a month now,exercising everyday, and i only lost 1lb. I know it's hard to lose when it's just a little extra weight but this is very slow. I'm starting to think it may have something to do with my birth control.
I've been taking Sayana press for 2.5 years now. As i understand it has no Estrogen or Progestogen,only DMPA.
I never thought it had an effect on my weight since i did not gain anything while using it but now i don't know what to think.
I'm very strict with the diet so there's no problem there.
Help anyone?

Replies

• pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Probably not. You might just have to be patient. It says you only have 6lbs to lose. Not a lot at all. I've been on different types of BC and haven't had any issues with weight loss. Others have claimed otherwise. You might want to consider opening your diary to help people get a more accurate understanding and be able to give better advice. What you think you may be logging accurately could be off by a lot and people can help if you open that up.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I gained 5 pounds as soon as I started Gildess FE, and I've always been fairly thin. It definitely can affect you. Getting the weight off can be extremely discouraging when you work hard and nothing happens. I haven't given up, but it's frustrating for sure.
  • vismundcygnus27
    vismundcygnus27 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Like you said, you're not trying to lose a ton of weight, so that's probably the bulk of your problem. I take Lutera, which contains both estrogen and a progestin, and it hasn't affected my weight at all. Hormonal birth control can have that effect on some people, but it's probably just that since your weight is already pretty low, losing those few pounds may be a bit difficult.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I blame the pill for at least half of my weight gain everytime I had a new one my weight shot up by a stone in month and I found it very hard to lose it.

I had the implant 18 months ago and I haven't had the same problems.

But everyone is different.
  • ell_23
    ell_23 Posts: 103
    Options
    I read that contraception and weight gain has become a popular association but that scientists have found no scientific connection in lab tests and things, that any connection is coincidental and down to something else kind of thing. Personally, with the pill I used to blame it for me being so big…but 20 lbs down the line I find it very easy to lose weight now. I think I just wanted something to blame.
  • jesslo800
    Options
    (Correction: i only have to lose 5 pounds now)
    From the answers here i guess it's true-everyone is different.
    I will not get my next injection and see if there is a difference. Thing is its another month and then it could take up to six months for your body to get back to normal,not very optimistic:(
    @ell_23 From what i read,estrogen has an an impact on weight,if i don't have any wouldn't that make a difference?

Does it really make that much of a difference when it is a small amount of weight? I mean,what happens to my deficit and burned calories?
    My roommate weighed the same as me,she did paleo for 4 weeks and lost 8-9 lb.
    She did have more 'obvious' fat,she was a size 10,i'm a 2-4 and i don't have large flabs of fat. Does that make a difference?(i know,i'm a noob)
  • ell_23
    ell_23 Posts: 103
    Options
    I will not get my next injection and see if there is a difference. Thing is its another month and then it could take up to six months for your body to get back to normal,not very optimistic:(
    @ell_23 From what i read,estrogen has an an impact on weight,if i don't have any wouldn't that make a difference?

Does it really make that much of a difference when it is a small amount of weight? I mean,what happens to my deficit and burned calories?
    She did have more 'obvious' fat,she was a size 10,i'm a 2-4 and i don't have large flabs of fat. Does that make a difference?(i know,i'm a noob)

Ah well my pill has oestrogen (same thing, think we just spell it differently) in it but perhaps it's just my body then. When I was first concerned about going on it years ago… my doctor said it doesn't directly make you put on weight… but she said at the time that it can make someone feel more hungry.. hence they then eat a little more etc. So perhaps I was big because I was eating more… due to feeling hungry more…Now that I calorie count it's easy to keep track of my food and lose weight though.

The less you weigh, the harder it is to lose weight. Someone on a different post said something about it being equally hard for a 220 lbs woman to lose 30 lbs as it is for a 120 lbs woman to lose 10 lbs. It comes off slower the lighter you get. If you're a US 2-4 and sounds like you're pretty slim it's gonna get harder for you to lose weight than a friend who is a lot bigger.

Just to add quick, I'm very similar to you. 5 foot 3, 125 lbs, 19 years old. I'm Uk 8 on top and 8-10 bottom… which is US 4 and 4-6 I think… so a little bigger than you. However, I am still losing weight quicker than you I think…my weight has only gone down 1 lb in about 3 weeks too… BUT I have been eating a lot more than normal at 1500 calories per day and little/no exercise and lots of biscuits. So I KNOW why I'm not losing much more weight anymore. Perhaps review your diet and just check that's all fine. Your mind might be thinking that you're near the end of your journey so can eat a bit more now?
  • jesslo800
    Options

Ah well my pill has oestrogen (same thing, think we just spell it differently) in it but perhaps it's just my body then. When I was first concerned about going on it years ago… my doctor said it doesn't directly make you put on weight… but she said at the time that it can make someone feel more hungry.. hence they then eat a little more etc. So perhaps I was big because I was eating more… due to feeling hungry more…Now that I calorie count it's easy to keep track of my food and lose weight though.

The less you weigh, the harder it is to lose weight. Someone on a different post said something about it being equally hard for a 220 lbs woman to lose 30 lbs as it is for a 120 lbs woman to lose 10 lbs. It comes off slower the lighter you get. If you're a US 2-4 and sounds like you're pretty slim it's gonna get harder for you to lose weight than a friend who is a lot bigger.

Just to add quick, I'm very similar to you. 5 foot 3, 125 lbs, 19 years old. I'm Uk 8 on top and 8-10 bottom… which is US 4 and 4-6 I think… so a little bigger than you. However, I am still losing weight quicker than you I think…my weight has only gone down 1 lb in about 3 weeks too… BUT I have been eating a lot more than normal at 1500 calories per day and little/no exercise and lots of biscuits. So I KNOW why I'm not losing much more weight anymore. Perhaps review your diet and just check that's all fine. Your mind might be thinking that you're near the end of your journey so can eat a bit more now?

Thank you for explaining,it's still very confusing but starting to make sense.
    I really don't think it is the diet,i'm very strict. I have not cheated once,i weigh,count etc.
    Not seeing results is getting very frustrating. I thought it would take me about 8-10 weeks(calculating the deficit+workouts it really should be 1lb a week),At this rate its going to take me much longer,i'm not sure i can hang on for that long.
  • mundaycarroll
    mundaycarroll Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you've been on the same BC for 2.5 years and never noticed any weight gain before then it's highly unlikely that your BC is having any affect on your body as far as weight goes.