Is anyone getting obsessive?

Options
2»

Replies

• SheGlows
    SheGlows Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    "If you don't have the mental capacity to be that obsessed about what you're trying to get... Then motherf*cker you won't never have it."

-CT Fletcher
  • vismundcygnus27
    vismundcygnus27 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The first couple of times I tried losing weight, I was the same way. I have an addictive/obsessive personality, so it's very easy for me to fall into that pattern. That's why I was very leery about counting calories - I know I have a tendency to go overboard, and I've gone through periods where I had a quite unhealthy relationship with food.

Thankfully, I've been able to stay pretty reasonable and level-headed this time around. You should probably be fine, and it's likely that you'll level out soon, but it wouldn't hurt to be mindful of it. If weight loss begins to cause you a lot of stress and anxiety, that's really not going to be helpful in the long run.

That sounds a lot like me, I had a very poor relationship with food when I was 15 and it took me 2 years to recover and then...well I smoked a lot of weed and had a lot of munches which is why I put on weight. No more of that!

I just got a bit worried with the obsessiveness because it reminded me of how I was when I was 15.

Yeah, I felt the same way the first time I tried using MFP and tracking/planning things - I have a history of mood problems and anxiety, and the intensity with which I started tracking every bite of food that I ate worried me because it reminded me of old habits. I've been much better about it this time around - I've been diligent about watching my calories and such, but I'm much less neurotic about it than I was the first time I gave it a go.

A little obsessiveness isn't a bad thing, but if you know that it could eventually slide into something worse, then a little self-awareness is key. Which is not to say that you should give up on trying to lose weight, but it's super important to try to keep a healthy relationship with food and exercise, not just for your physical health, but for your emotional health.
  • tinallen863
    tinallen863 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It may seem obsessive to others who are careless about what they put in their body or who stay thin without effort, but for me logging every bite and documenting exercise is the only way my weight is under control. So no matter what you call it, I choose to be in control of my body! :tongue:
  • george7527
    george7527 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hi you are not alone iv been dieting/execising for the last 38 years and still doing the same and still not happy with the results can't seem to help myself even when people say I look good I take it all the wrong way as if iv gained weight ect