How do you decide what your goal weight is going to be?

Amberlin
Amberlin Posts: 118 Member
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
After giving birth to my son, now 10 months old, I weighed in at 235lbs and am now down to 175lbs. My current goal is to weigh 150lbs by June 1st of this year but sometimes I feel like that is still going to be too heavy. I am about 5'5 or 5'6 and currently have a BMI of 29 so 150lbs would put me just under the healthy BMI range. Should I push myself for 135-140? Okay I'll just say it, I am scared to fail! But really, what if 135lbs is unrealistic? What if it's next to impossible to maintain?

How did you choose your goal?

Replies

• SKismet
    SKismet Posts: 137
    I based mine on what would be a mid-range healthy BMI for me.

That said, I have a feeling when I get down around that area, I might tweak it a bit based on how I look/feel about myself.
  • ezreka
    ezreka Posts: 53 Member
    Good question, I still don't know what my goal weight is. I started out going for 145, got there and now I am 130......I still have a belly pouch, so don't know if I want to stop yet. But then again, I don't want to feel like I am never thin enough either. I am at the point that I figure my body will let me know when to stop......and I am not starving myself :)
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    I was looking at some older pictures. In all those I weight between 200-220. So I decided I want to get back to what I was two years ago. I put a few up on this profile, and some other random places to remind me where my focus needs to be
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    I'm 5'5" to 5'6" too, and started at 248. I'm down to 170 now. My goal weight is 135, so that I will still be a healthy weight when I'm pregnant next year. 135 was right in the middle of the healthy range of my BMI.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    I chose my goal weight by what I weighed my senior year of high school.

If I feel I'm still to heavy by that point, I will reevaluate my goals.

I think you should keep the goal you have now and then once you see how you feel at that weight, change it or keep it. You'll know what's right for you!
  • Diannerv
    Diannerv Posts: 195
    I think you should get to that goal and see how you feel. I was 182 last June and my original goal was 150 but when I got there I still thought I could lose a few more. I am down to 132 and and trying for another 5 lbs. I really wanted to be in a size 6 also, which I am but would like to tone up now. I am 5'4" and it seems even 5 lbs shows up more on me. Get to your first goal and reevaluate. :happy: Good luck..
  • Marcia_11
    Marcia_11 Posts: 143 Member
    To me, my goal weight is one that I can maintain without struggle. What good is it to be thin if it's hell to stay there? I'm 5'0" and my target weight is between like 105 and 117. That's probably never gonna happen. I got down to 135 pounds years ago and was happy. Unfortunately I let my old ways take over and here I am 50 pounds heavier but I'm still 50 pounds lighter from where I started 6 years ago. I know that I'll know my goal weight is when I get there.
  • I'm 5'2 and my goal weight is 100 pounds. I weigh 278 right now. I chose this weight because it's just barely underweight for my height.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    I picked a weight that my doctor said years ago would be a good one to strive for. It still says my BMI would be considered overweight, but I'm starting there and seeing how I feel. If I want to lose more? I'll revise the goal then! :D
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    I'm also between 5'5" and 5'6" and my goal weight is 130 lbs. which is in the middle range of a healthy body mass index (BMI). If I can reach 125lbs. that would be awesome!

The healthy range for someone 5'5" is 114-144lbs. For someone who is 5'6" it's 118-148lbs. So if it were me, I would shoot for less than your goal of 150lbs. Good luck!
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Weight watchers has a system that will show you what the medical ideal weight would be...
  • I picked a weight that my doctor said years ago would be a good one to strive for. It still says my BMI would be considered overweight, but I'm starting there and seeing how I feel. If I want to lose more? I'll revise the goal then! :D

Same here! But that was 180 for me... and beings I started at 288, yeah... 180 would be good :) But then I looked at my BMI chart... and if I get down to 169, I finally won't be the big "O" word... and just overweight. So, 169 is my FIRST goal... then we'll go from there :) I don't want to discourage myself right from the get-go! Good luck... you're doing fantastic! And especially AFTER baby! I'm trying to lose as much as I can BEFORE baby... man... it'll be worth it when it gets there!
This discussion has been closed.