knee brace, wraps

markymarrkk
markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Okay, so my right knee feels SLIGHT discomfort when I start jogging/running, I do basic stretches before starting of course.

its not that bad and I can run just fine....after about 10 minutes of running it completely goes away and numbs up and I can run full force without feeling anything...sometimes though I feel it after.

like I mentioned its not bad or sharp pain like others have, but it kind of bugs me mentally.

Should I wear a knee brace or wrap it up? I don't want my knee getting used to it and depending on it. I feel like if I wear it my body will never adapt to the stress of running.

thoughts and Ideas?

Replies

• kimi233
    kimi233 Posts: 271 Member
    I would judge on the pain, try buying Salonpas patches, they put medicine directly on the spot that hurts. I use them when my knees flair up. But I will tell you, I used my brace while me knee was hurting, and it helped me tremendously, but my pain never went away and it hurt after the work out too. If it keeps hurting, definitely get a brace!!
  • Generally, you are only going to want to wear a brace for instability or weakness, not necessarily discomfort. I have the same type of discomfort but in my ankle, and it is generally attributed to a slight case of tendinitis. Usually, I'll just power through it but if it is "stiffer" or more noticeable I'll take a motrin before I workout. One caveat however, would be if the pain is involving you knee cap and/or associated patelar tendons. If the discomfort is a case of your patela not tracking correctly, then there are braces that can help keep it in the proper allignment.
  • markymarrkk
    Thanks for the input!!
  • I wear patella straps on my knees (Mueller's brand, I get them @ Wal-Mart or Walgreens) when I'm running or doing any high impact cardio. I have alignment issues in my knees and if I don't wear them I have a lot of discomfort because my patella gets "off track"... I tried wrapping it and wearing a full knee brace but all they did was cut off circulation (even when they weren't very tight) and they really got in the way of the types of workouts I did. The strap goes right under my kneecap and stays in place even during high intensity types of cardio.
  • markymarrkk
    I wear patella straps on my knees (Mueller's brand, I get them @ Wal-Mart or Walgreens) when I'm running or doing any high impact cardio. I have alignment issues in my knees and if I don't wear them I have a lot of discomfort because my patella gets "off track"... I tried wrapping it and wearing a full knee brace but all they did was cut off circulation (even when they weren't very tight) and they really got in the way of the types of workouts I did. The strap goes right under my kneecap and stays in place even during high intensity types of cardio.

Thanks! im gonna try that
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    FYI, you may have trouble finding Salonpas. If so, hit any Asian store/market. They'll have it.
  • markymarrkk
    FYI, you may have trouble finding Salonpas. If so, hit any Asian store/market. They'll have it.

whats a "Salonpas"?
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    I've never seen it outside Asian markets. Here's a link:

http://www.salonpas.us/

It's popular in Asian and island cultures. Someone else mentioned it in their reply.
This discussion has been closed.