Calories burned doing cardio

Options
There is about a 300-400 difference in calories burned between MFP and Eliptical (what I usually do). Which number do you use?

Replies

• higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Neither. I use to take the lowest one and knock off 50 from it.

Now I have a hrm and still knock off 50.
  • jal92475
    jal92475 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I hear the Heart Rate Monitor is the way to go but I figure the machine has to be more accurate than MFP since it at least has my weight and heart rate. I go with the machine since I don't have a HRM. Everyone says that MFP over estimates calories and it usually is the higher of the 2 numbers for me.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Calorie burns depend upon height, weight, age, gender, exertion level and more. If you are plugging several factors into the machine it's going to give a better estimate. Without adding data, the machine is using defaults.

Being conservative is a good idea. Use those numbers awhile and adjust up or down as needed. Heart rate monitors are pretty good for steady state cardio. They compare your resting heart rate against your heart rate while working out (chest strap models measure constantly). The difference between heart rates is used as exertion.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Machines also calculate more calories than actually burned. A HRM or BodyMedia is more accurate.
  • TriNoob
    TriNoob Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    For walking: [0.1 (m•s-1) + 1.8 (m•s-1) * (fractional grade) + 3.5] * (lbs * 0.45392) * min * 0.021
    For running: [0.2 (m•s-1) + 0.9 (m•s-1) * (fractional grade) + 3.5] * (lbs * 0.45392) * min * 0.021

I usually leave out fractional grade though.

For cycling:

0.740 * lbs * min + [22 * (gain/100)]
  • albdusty
    albdusty Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have a 99% precision hrm and it measures more calories than the gym equipment. I'll give you an example.
    Eliptical, 10 minutes, level 5.
    HRM: 130 calories.
    Eliptical machine: 100 calories.

I'm still testing but i tend to believe what my hrm is telling me since it's a very popular model with great reviews.
  • jessnoire
    Options
    which HRM do you use? I'm still thinking about getting one as well but there are so many different ones and I can't decide which one's the best for me ;)
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Ditto Above posts get a HRM and progam in your age weight height ect ect. More accurate but still a estimate.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I have a 99% precision hrm and it measures more calories than the gym equipment. I'll give you an example.
    Eliptical, 10 minutes, level 5.
    HRM: 130 calories.
    Eliptical machine: 100 calories.

I'm still testing but i tend to believe what my hrm is telling me since it's a very popular model with great reviews.

What is the brand and model #. Im looking for a new one again.
  • Beckyg1972
    Options
    Thank you for the replies, I will be looking into a HRM.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    MFP are just estimates, but the rower and MFP can be pretty close imo and thats my main form of cardio. I just put down its moderate on MFP, when in fact im working the next level up. U dont really eat back so it doesnt present me wiith many problems.
  • stevenlcopeland
    stevenlcopeland Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have 2 different heart rate monitors (Garmin and Polar) and love them both. Once you program your age, weight, height, activity level, VO2 max, etc. they are really accurate. I rarely do cardio without wearing mine. Nice way to track calories and with the continuous output of your heart rate it will tell you if you need to kick it up a notch.
  • MinimizingMichelle
    Options
    When it comes to the ellipitical, my gym's elliptical is almost identical to my HRM. I never trust MFP. I almost cut everything in half, which I know is a little much, but it's better than eating back too many calories for me. Now I rely completely on my HRM.
  • SarahStrominger
    SarahStrominger Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the reason MFP adds extra is because after we are done working out... while our heart rate is still up anyway... we are still burning a few calories? Just a thought.
  • Shalva
    Shalva Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    also remember there is a difference between calories burned during exercise and calories burned by exercise... you really only want to count the calories burned by exercise... the hrm is the way to go if you want an accurate count as to what you burned... for me personally it doesn't matter as I seldom eat hardly any of my exercise calories back anyway...