why cardio is ineffective....

Options
2»

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Can you document where you got this information from please?
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    well, i was only looking around for clues and tips i only thought of sharing this

What website or source is it from though? or is it off the top of your mind?
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I agree with the spirit of the post, but the "article" (is it an article, or just one person's musings?) is full of grammatical errors and therefore tough to believe as a cited source.

I am a believer in high-intensity interval training, but I also know that cardio can work for people. It's just that anyone can get into a rut, and that includes zoning out on the Elliptical while watching Barefoot Contessa. If you are not pushing yourself then you won't see changes.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    OMG! This explains so much! My 3 year old is an interval training instructor!

'Mummy hug me!' - strength training
    'Run away train!' - cardio (I'm the carriage!)
    'Train!' (as one goes past and we slow to a halt) - breaks in the cardio

I wondered why I seemed to burn more than the overall 2 mph we travel at would suggest ;). Kind of justifies our stopping at so many coffee shops :)
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Interesting Thread..

"The reason that High Intensity Interval Training works better [than normal cardio] for fat loss is this:

When you do a cardio session at the same pace the whole time, your body goes into what is called steady state. This means that your body has adjusted itself to the speed you are going and tries hard to conserve energy (calories). You will be able to avoid this and burn more calories and FAT by doing the interval training." (Source: http://davedraper.com/hiit-cardio-training.html)

Also, "A study at Laval University in Quebec, Canada found that HIIT cardio helped trainees loose nine times more fat than those who trained the traditional way (moderate speed for 20-60 minutes)."

I followed a HIIT program on the elliptical machine and with weights and had good results.
    Furthermore, I did the fasted cardio... This worked for me but your mileage may vary.

Also, keep in mind HIIT is not just about cardio/running... it is done with weights as well.

Here's a link to a pretty good article with nutritional information:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw40.htm
  • Dakota1235
    Options
    would love to know WHERE the article came from, what website, journal, etc, who wrote it?

Thanks
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I agree with the spirit of the post, but the "article" (is it an article, or just one person's musings?) is full of grammatical errors and therefore tough to believe as a cited source.

I am a believer in high-intensity interval training, but I also know that cardio can work for people. It's just that anyone can get into a rut, and that includes zoning out on the Elliptical while watching Barefoot Contessa. If you are not pushing yourself then you won't see changes.

I agree completely - and HIIT - when used as your sole form of cardio can also slow things down ... I have been working with a personal trainer for the last year and a half - I have always done HIIT (alternating low V02max of 8 and a high of max 14) - but recently, to break out of the plateau he has decided to do 3x HIIT and 3x endurance cardio @ a V02max of no more than 10....this is because HIIT and "endurance" cardio burn different things. I am told (by my trainer who is finishing his kinesthesiology degree) that HIIT burns carbs (glucides) best, and endurance burns fat (lipids).....

can dig out some journal articles ....
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Interesting Thread..

"The reason that High Intensity Interval Training works better [than normal cardio] for fat loss is this:

When you do a cardio session at the same pace the whole time, your body goes into what is called steady state. This means that your body has adjusted itself to the speed you are going and tries hard to conserve energy (calories). You will be able to avoid this and burn more calories and FAT by doing the interval training." (Source: http://davedraper.com/hiit-cardio-training.html)

Also, "A study at Laval University in Quebec, Canada found that HIIT cardio helped trainees loose nine times more fat than those who trained the traditional way (moderate speed for 20-60 minutes)."

I followed a HIIT program on the elliptical machine and with weights and had good results.
    Furthermore, I did the fasted cardio... This worked for me but your mileage may vary.

Also, keep in mind HIIT is not just about cardio/running... it is done with weights as well.

Here's a link to a pretty good article with nutritional information:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw40.htm

very good response =) thanks!
  • mainyia1988
    Options
    will im not sure which site it was i was just reading it was interesting...
  • 123lgoldie
    Options
    i'm only doing cardio for the now and high impact fitness classes like aerobics, body attack etc and losing weight and losing fat is working for me and i've not touched weights
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    will im not sure which site it was i was just reading it was interesting...

Alrighty.