Intense cardio -> intense appetite -> gaining

I reached my goal weight (105 lbs) a few months ago, but I gained five pounds after breaking up with my boyfriend. I've been more active than I've ever been in my life the past few months. I completed a supersprint triathlon and I'm now training for a half-marathon, so my cardio workouts are currently between 4 and 8 miles, 10mph, 3-4x/week.

My appetite has significantly increased since boosting my activity level and I don't know what to do with it. I end up eating four meals a day and I estimate consumption is ~1600 cals, but I haven't logged since before The Breakup, so perhaps I'm way off on that. I also eat lots of carbs to help fuel my running whereas I used to minimize carbs as much as possible.

I know I'm not gaining muscle and losing fat because my measurements indicate my thighs and waist are actually bigger than when I was 105 lbs.

To all the athletes out there: how do you manage your big appetites? What types of foods do you eat pre and post workouts? I've noticed a drastic increase in athletic performance after increasing my caloric intake. (I seriously can't believe I ever tried to workout and eat only 1200 calories.)

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Cardio definitely increases my appetite, and without monitoring my intake I can easily end up over-compensating and gaining weight.

Start logging accurately again so you know how much you're eating.
  • I'm training for a half marathon too and have not lost weight even though I've increased my mileage so much. I get really hungry early in the day now. I eat a lot of snacks and don't feel worried about eating every 2-3 hours as long as it's whole foods--maybe giving yourself permission to eat each time you feel hungry and just letting that occur more often would help reassure you?

Also, I've noticed anytime I increase my activity level significantly I gain weight initially, before settling back into my previous range.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    are you sure it's not water retention for muscle repair due to intense cardio as opposed to real weight gain?
  • hiit workouts...................long cardio workouts will make you hungry.............or drink alot of water and eat an apple after a workout if you feel like piggin out lol
  • It's hard to say what's going on since you haven't been logging. You could be eating more than you think. You shouldn't be gaining eating 1600 calories being as active as you are.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    My appetite has significantly increased since boosting my activity level and I don't know what to do with it. I end up eating four meals a day and I estimate consumption is ~1600 cals, but I haven't logged since before The Breakup, so perhaps I'm way off on that. I also eat lots of carbs to help fuel my running whereas I used to minimize carbs as much as possible.

I know I'm not gaining muscle and losing fat because my measurements indicate my thighs and waist are actually bigger than when I was 105 lbs.

To all the athletes out there: how do you manage your big appetites? What types of foods do you eat pre and post workouts? I've noticed a drastic increase in athletic performance after increasing my caloric intake. (I seriously can't believe I ever tried to workout and eat only 1200 calories.)

You still need to log your calories consumed and calories burned so work on that. I have mine set to sedentary and then add in calories for runs and for the most part I try to eat the majority of it back. Some of it I play by ear but I mostly keep track of the energy flow. Carbs are great fuel. I don't go out of my way to eat massive amounts of them but by hitting my macros I naturally eat more as I increase my calorie consumption. Post workout I have a protein shake and on days I have longer runs I try to put in something like a banana post run.

I don't typically eat anything before runs unless they're at around the 13 mile range or more. Typically I just wake up, run, then have a protein shake and breakfast. Yesterday was a 14 mile run so I had 2 waffles with honey before and I had one Clif Shot gel during the run. You'll see a noticable difference on longer runs with better fuel.

Someone has already mentioned it but you can easily have a few pounds of water weight for muscle repair after more intense workouts. My run yesterday was a 2490 calorie burn and even though I didn't eat all of that back I was up 4 lbs. this morning. This happens every week after my long run. It will drop off after a few days. I've also noticed that if I quit running for a week I can drop 3 - 5 pounds with no effort. Don't worry about those things. Just log your calories, exercise, and refuel as necessary. If you keep these up and eat properly you'll get even leaner than you are now while maintaining the same weight. Long distance running isn't just cardio.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Well it's impossible to say if you're not logging. You could be eating more than you think, or less, and just retaining water because your period is due soon or something... or the carbs you are eating are making you hungrier (which happens to me too). Make sure you're eating fat and protein with your carbs.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Unfortunately, most people training for longer races do gain weight.

Runners World has a great article with tips-- the tl;dr version is basically ditch the post-run snacks and time your workouts so that you can have post-run meals, practice a lot of self-control, and make sure that the foods you're eating are high quality: http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-for-runners/how-to-avoid-marathon-training-weight-gain
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    I'm training for a century bike ride and yep- i feel your pain! I am REALLY hungry what feels like all the time, but i didnt want to gain weight while training, if at all possible. I found foods that satiate for longer and I have tried to eat more of those types of foods as opposed to foods I know keep me satisfied for 20 minutes. Quest bars are awesome for this, if you can afford to eat them on a regular basis (and if you like them, of course). I've also found that hard boiled eggs and reduced fat cheese is good too.
  • I have heard quite a few fitness trainers say that chocolate milk or protein shake is a great recovery drink. Try that and see if it helps.
  • Iljkmittaa
    Iljkmittaa Posts: 20 Member
    Weight train to gain muscle and then you'll look slimmer, and at the same time you'll be able to eat a whole lot more than 1600 calories.
  • Girlrose
    Girlrose Posts: 127 Member
    Thank you so much for the helpful replies, everyone! MFP community is the best. I'm going to log everything for a few weeks and see if I'm actually consuming way more than I should be (even with the higher activity level). I'll look into timing my long runs with a meal afterward because I do think I overdo it at times. Otherwise, it sounds like chocolate protein drinks, Clif bars, and apples are good post-run options.

Even though the scale says I gained five, I'm fine with that if my measurements indicated fat loss, so I'm going to continue to rely on that for the most accurate portrayal of how I'm doing.