When will I stop being cold?

Options
I have seen this topic before here. People posting that they are colder after losing weight. However, I've never seen a post about when that stops. Last year I lost 50 lbs and froze all winter. This summer I lost another 20 lbs. It's now 60 degrees where I live. Most people are in light jackets. I'm in 2 sweaters and a winter coat. For people who have lost a lot of weight, when does your body temperature "normalize" and you stop being cold all the time?

Replies

• pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it could just be you. I personally have a hard time regulating my body temperature. Even without the weight loss. For the 60 degrees I would have to wear a pretty dense sweatshirt while my boyfriend would just have to wear a light jacket. I also get hot easily. It has also been an issue for me and I just deal with it. My doctor also tested me for anemia because my medication has caused issues with my cycle and having issues body temperature is a symptom of that. So you might want to get checked for that. Or just check with a doctor in general.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Oh boy do I remember this stage. I'm so sorry for what you're going through, it sucks! I can't really tell you how long it took to feel warm again as I just remember thinking I was sick of being cold and then one day didn't notice it. I do find I need to wear gloves in the winter now, can't just run outside and clean off the windshield anymore. I've also learned to really dress in layers, and look at the weight of clothing and types of fabrics. I do better with cotton in the winter months and go with heavier weight dress pants. Hopefully your internal thermostat will kick back to a more comfortable range soon.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any vitamin and iron supplements? There is a "Reports" feature at the top of this page. You might want to run reports on all of your micronutrients to see if you have any deficiencies.
  • chelciebrown07
    chelciebrown07 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I don't find it has ever really gone away. Lost 30lbs a couple years ago and i'm still always freezing when everyone else is normal. The human body is weird, I just suck it up and enjoy my sweaters.
  • KBP1025
    KBP1025 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies :). To Pander101 - good idea about mentioning this to my dr at my upcoming annual exam. I just saw several posts on here about being cold so I thought it was normal. To Branstin - I'm not taking any vitamins or supplements. If there's nothing medically wrong, I guess I'll have to wait and see after I finish losing these last 10-15 lbs, if I normalize or am always on the cold side.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    When you turn 46 and start having your personal 'solar flares' :wink:

I was freezing earlier this year and recently since I started strength training I am not as cold but then again I also had a birthday - my trainer says it is because I am working out harder and since I like that reason that is the one that I am sticking with!
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It never went away for me, I am cold all of the time!!! I like to buy fat free hot chocolate mixes all winter to drink when I get home in the evening.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I get cold when I'm losing weight. When I'm in maintenance mode (consuming more cals) I'm not cold.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I'm always cold. No matter what. I have a space heater and fleece in my office. I like to follow the old saying, "cold hands, warm heart" :-)
  • KrzyGal
    KrzyGal Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends on the person. At my heaviest and my lightest, I was cold. People laugh at me cuz I live in California and work in a trailer in the middle of an oilfield, yet have sweaters on at work because the temperature most want the thermostat at is too low for me. I usually have a blanket thrown over me at home too because where I feel comfy, is too hot for my boyfriend and guests.
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    For me it was really due to poor nutrition and restrictive calories,when i was losing weight i was cold all the time and dry hands and feet.I increased my food consumption(not junk food) more vegetables fruits and healthy fats,it really made a difference,also check your iron and b complex-i take these supplements as well.Im no longer cold.I also gave this advice to my mom and she reported she was feeling much better now and doesnt feel cold or dry anymore.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I agree with discussing this with your doctor but here is a link I found in my stored favorites:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/305720-how-come-when-you-lose-weight-you-feel-cold/
  • nicolen160
    nicolen160 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have lost a total of 130lbs since last March and I am freezing all the time! I tried to go swimming this summer and just about froze in 90 degree weather in the pool. I have slept with an electric mattress paid and blanket all summer long and wear fuzzy jammys and socks. I was never this cold before.
  • dispatcher939
    dispatcher939 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am colder now after losing weight I just wear layers or have a jacket with me at all times.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I've had the opposite problem my whole life, i.e me being too hot when everyone else is freezing as in me wearing a t-shirt when everyone else is wearing jumpers or a coat...

weight lifting builds up muscle and muscle cells are like little central heating units. Doing some kind of strength training and eating plenty of protein, maybe eat at a small surplus for a while and try to gain a few lbs of muscle (if you're doing strength training and eating plenty of protein and not too big a calorie surplus you should gain muscle without any noticable amount of fat) - that should make you feel a lot warmer as your body will be generating more heat.

Also, undereating generally makes you too cold - one way your body conserves energy if you eat too little is by producing less heat. That's called adaptive thermogenesis. If you're eating more, that should help on its own before you factor in the extra heat generated by gaining more muscle cells. So eat at a slight surplus, do weight training and make sure you're eating plenty of protein.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Helps to be eating at maintenance -- the fires get turned down when you're eating at a deficit. On the flip side, 'tho, you've got a lot less body fat, so you'll have to replace that insulation with clothing (I have friends who are runners with single-digit body fat, and they're always having to wrap up).
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Still cold after over 2 years.
  • RandomA1
    RandomA1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I lost about 50 lbs 6 years ago and ever since then, I've been cold (before that, I used to always be hot). I've gained a lot of the weight back over the past few years : / and despite that, I'm still always cold. My coworkers can't understand how I can be from Massachusetts and now living in SoCal but always wearing a fleece at work due to the A/C (I even brought in a blanket during the winter/spring time).
  • bluesarah13
    bluesarah13 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Move to the tropics LOL jk
  • JtKeil
    JtKeil Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I've been losing the weight over the last 4 years and it seems like I've gotten colder and colder. I have an electric blanket, always carry a cardigan or sweater with me and have the heat on when others tell me 'its so hot'. It's frustrating to say the least...