Any advice from hypothyroidism sufferers

Options
Hi everyone,

I would appreciate any advice anyone can offer on losing weight for hypothyroidism sufferers.

I am struggling to lose weight, currently i am 142ib but i would like to go back to a healthy 120ib. I am 5'4. I work out 5 days a week, and try to eat as healthy as i can.

I have just recently moved from London Uk to Dallas Tx, and i seem to have put on 15ib since moving here.

Please help or share your story.

Mona

P.S Feel free to add me, i currently have no friends.

Replies

• independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Welcome!

I'll chime in. I have hypoglycemia which carries some of the same symptoms as hypothyroidism. It definitely makes it easier to gain weight and harder to get it off. Since my condition is a bit different I don't want to advise too much about what to eat except to say its possible to push past any health problems and still lose weight in spite of them.

Have you seen an endocrinologist? That's the best place to start.

Moving to a new country has to be stressful and I think its pretty common to gain weight when going through a significant life change.

22lbs to lose is a really very achievable goal. Just track everything you eat and consume clean non processed foods that will keep you fuller and more energized longer.
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'm sure that the food-choices of being in Texas are much different than England. Lots of meat, BBQ sauces and sugars that come with it, and higher fat meals. Changing countries is similar to the freshman 15 - getting used to a new environment and finding a way to fit into it.

I also have Hypo Thyroidism. It's not an easy task to lose - but the weight does come off if you do enough exercise and watch the calories in vs. out equation.

I've sent you a friend request and I'm on mpf daily. I'd be happy to be part of your motivation group.

-Rose
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I'm quite severely Hypo, but on good meds so it's under control. Not sure if I count with that as the case. :) I'm not finding it hard to lose as long as I'm regularly getting my T3 levels checked, because with diet and exercise they're in near constant flux. The good news is, my dose has been reduced as I've become healthier! Yay!

My best advice is not to get stuck on wanting to be 120. I'm also 5'4, but different body types are comfortable with different weights, depending on muscle mass and such. I know that I, personally, find it nearly impossible to hit 120 because I have a LOT of muscle in my legs. (Martial arts. Sigh.) I'd say aim for 125-130-ish and see how you feel, then set smaller goals until you find a place you're comfortable with.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Count calories. Don't just eat healthy. There's a lot of high calorie food in Texas and that probably has more to do with your weight gain than hypothyroidism.
  • mbegum28
    mbegum28 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your response everyone.

I think Independant24 is right. The big move has been extremely stressful. I moved here to be with my husband (as he is from Texas), i had to leave my job and my family whom i've been around my entire life. I finally have my work visa, so i'm currently looking for work, but i have literally been sitting on my *kitten* for the past 5 months waiting for my work permit.

My Doctor and husband both agreed once i'm working again and leading an active social life my body would go back naturally to what it was. Maybe thats true but i guess i'm just having a difficult time waiting around.

DoctahJenn, Thank you for your input. It's true i shouldn't get my head stuck on the number 120. It's just most of my life i have been around 120-125, so i guess to me it'd make me happy to go back to that. However its unfair on my body for me to do that, I just think at this point i should just focus on getting back to a healthy weight, and that means 125-130.

And finally SoDamnHungry, i actually haven't really been counting calories so i think thats probably a good idea, i thought just eating healthy would do it but clearly its not working.

Thank you all so much for you advice and support. I hope i can do the same for you all if anyone needs anything.
  • Rhonda55gf
    Rhonda55gf Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I too have a thyroid problem (Hashimotos disease). I am on Thyroid Armour and numerous suppliments even though I hate taking pills yet better than pain, agony, and tiredness. I have been gaining weight rapidly since I turned 50. Ewww yes, I said it....50. I am well past that now at 55 and have gained over 50 pounds. I have not been able to lose more than 5 pounds and put it back on,,,and off...and on..and off...you get the idea. I had my my gallbladder removed a week and a half ago and can only do light housework and walking a moderate distance. But, I have lost my 5 pounds since starting on myfitnesspal. I eat gluten and soy free and my daughter is now on a vegetarian diet. Kind of hard but it's not as bad as it could be. I am trying to cut some carbs and fats. I love the food diary here because it lets me know what I need to work on to succeed. I didn't get that from weight watchers or on my own. Don't beat yourself up. Not everything works for everyone. For me, I had to stop excercising long enough to get my food in order. Then I started excersizing at the gym. (Now, since a surgery, I am back at the excersise starting point again). I was seeing and feeling progress. My husband noticed it when I walked (yes!). So, #1 is don't be hard on yourself. #2 Don't give up. #3 Be patient with yourself as there will be small setbacks. #4 Buddies/friends/work out partners do help. Good luck. Welcome to the states.:smile:
  • RoseyDgirl
    Options
    Mona, Join the gym, it's the best thing. I was laid off for 6 weeks this summer, and the gym was my salvation from going crazy being at home. Since I'm a member of the Y, I spent monday - Friday with 2 hours a day in the pool, split between water aerobics classes and swimming. I LOVED it! I began a new contract assignment now and can't take the pool classes anymore, but it was heaven while it lasted.

Now, I'm back to walking, doing 4:30 am wake-ups for 5 am elliptical and other machines - if it's the only time that fits in, it still gets the blood moving, and me feeling better about myself that I'm doing all that I can, to be fit.

Sitting at home, waiting at home, how horrible. Definitely, join a gym, find one with variety of classes, and you will be a skinny mini in no time. :happy:
  • mbegum28
    mbegum28 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your wonderful reply!
  • RoseyDgirl
    Options
    You're welcome. :)