Low Protien Intake

Options
So I'm checking out my food diary and I am almost always under in protien.... my goal is 65 and I am almost always under 40, sometimes around and even less than 20 :blushing: So, should I add a protien powder? I often have smoothies for breakfast on the way to the gym now so I'm thinking of tossing in a scoop. My main focus is now toning and weight maintainence, not so much weight loss.
Thanks!!!
Oh - and any suggestions for "good" powders are welcome!!!
Thanks again :smile:

Replies

• Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Yus you need more protien! :D I personally find it easier to drink whey then find it from other sources. I would recommend isopure :] they have a flavorless one that mixes soo well with everything
  • ksouthard1
    ksouthard1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Isopure protein powder is my favorite. I like creamy vanilla, but they have lots of flavors. You can get it at GNC, but amazon sells it much cheaper.
  • prencesskl
    Options
    Hey, I have a great protein shake that I use, it's Arbonne protein shakes, and they are delicious, and I have tons of recipes to make different delicious concotions with them. If your interested let me know, I can give you a log in and you'll get 20% off all orders, and they deliver them to your door : )
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    note on isopure: mango peach with water = disgusting xD I mix mine with vitamin water zero now... not too bad :D
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    So I'm checking out my food diary and I am almost always under in protien.... my goal is 65 and I am almost always under 40, sometimes around and even less than 20 :blushing: So, should I add a protien powder? I often have smoothies for breakfast on the way to the gym now so I'm thinking of tossing in a scoop. My main focus is now toning and weight maintainence, not so much weight loss.
    Thanks!!!
    Oh - and any suggestions for "good" powders are welcome!!!
    Thanks again :smile:
    Correct Protein levels are important because we do not store amino acids (whic come from protein) and of those 22amino acids there are 8 amino acids that the body does not synthesize.

As for protein powder, try and get a pure protein (ie some of them have sugars / carbs) and you are not after that. We use pure rice protein (as we are vegan), and it has all the amino acids that are required.

You also have to be careful though of not over doing protein, because excess will be metabolized to sugars / fats.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    When choosing a protein powder, try to find one without any added sugars or unnecessary carbohydrates.

My favorite protein powder is eas 100% vanilla whey protein powder. It has 120 calories.

You can get flavored and unflavored, but I like to add vanilla flavored whey to my smoothies so they taste like milkshakes.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I use 1/2 scoop of Body Fortress - Super Advanced Whey Protein before my workout.

And then after I do half a banana, 1 scoop of protein and a tsp of peanut butter. Mixed with a couple cubs of ice and about 1 cup of milk. Taste great, loaded with protein.