Undereating? Not counting calories? Not hungry?

Options
13»

Replies

• kckat96
    kckat96 Posts: 72
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I'm 328 lbs and I row on a fly wheel rowing machine 15 minutes 2x a day. I do about 1 to 1.5 hours of Tai Chi (breath work, joint opening exercises, and moving meditation exercise combined) each day and I water walk 40 minutes 1 to 2x a week (verious types of exercise and swimming combined). Would you think this is enough exercise. The rest of my week is sitting at a desk 8 hours a day 5 days a week, but I do try to get up each hour and take a 5 min walk around the area. :smile: Thanks for all your advice. Hugs from kckat96
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I'm 328 lbs and I row on a fly wheel rowing machine 15 minutes 2x a day. I do about 1 to 1.5 hours of Tai Chi (breath work, joint opening exercises, and moving meditation exercise combined) each day and I water walk 40 minutes 1 to 2x a week (verious types of exercise and swimming combined). Would you think this is enough exercise. The rest of my week is sitting at a desk 8 hours a day 5 days a week, but I do try to get up each hour and take a 5 min walk around the area. :smile: Thanks for all your advice. Hugs from kckat96

All of that activity sounds great! The only thing you're lacking is resistance training, and that is a key element to fat loss and a longer quality of life. It is so important because it increases both muscle and BONE density, which we start losing at age 30-40 for females (and why we're at such a risk of osteoporosis). On top of that, one lb of muscle can burn 40-60 calories a day AT REST...so if you have a lot of muscle, that's a lot of calories being burnt! If you're losing muscle (which we all do while dieting), you're actually reducing how many calories you burn at rest, so you're slowing your metabolism.

You don't have to lift a lot. 30 minutes, 3-4 times a week is all you need. I believe I wrote a list of the most functional lifts in this thread. You don't have to do all of those in one day; you could split it into 3 days of lifting easily. For upper body, perform 3-4 sets of 8-12 repetitions with a minute or 90 seconds of rest between everything. The weight should be too heavy to do more than 12. So, 4 sets of 12 reps is the highest you should go. For lower body, 3-4 sets of 12-15 reps is good because your legs have more endurance.

This is important, and it's for everyone!!: If you lift light weights a bunch of times, you will not elicit the same response as heavy lifting, and will not reap the benefits. It will not increase the density of your muscle tissue, so it won't increase your bone density. Throw out any notions that high rep, light weight 'tones'. It doesn't do squat. And that's not even what 'tone' means. :tongue:

This is also important, and also for everyone!!: If you are a female, heavy lifting will not make you bulky or manly. You don't have enough testosterone for that. If it were really that easy to put on muscle mass, I'd be Ms Olympia already :wink:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Just bumping it up again. :smile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    thbump2.gif
  • jodiebs
    jodiebs Posts: 10
    Options
    Okay I'm kind of confused here and need clarification. I'm new to MFP and I do know about using my BMR, but I was under the impression that your total calories allowed using MFP takes that into account including the calories you burn daily. Is this not true? Please advise.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Okay I'm kind of confused here and need clarification. I'm new to MFP and I do know about using my BMR, but I was under the impression that your total calories allowed using MFP takes that into account including the calories you burn daily. Is this not true? Please advise.

yes and no. MFP does take into account your BMR, but will allow you to eat below it. Essentially, if you're eating 1200 calories, unless you weigh 120 pounds, you're eating under your BMR. Technically, if you eat your BMR, and still perform your daily activities, you're at a deficit.

MFP works best if you eat your exercise calories and don't set too high a calorie deficit for yourself. (and so will your body.:wink: )

Here's another great post on the subject (that explains the whole calorie deficit thing and why it shouldn't be too agggressive).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    V, he he. I'm a firm believer in "drive-by posting." It occurs to me that I bumped a somewhat combatant OP. I've been going through all my saved old posts from Banks, viviakay, songbyrdsweet, TamTastic, Kerrilucko, etcetera, and I've found a lot of gems that I want to put into a new "Links".

For everyone:

Click on the number (of posts) in blue below songbyrd's picture (she wrote the OriginalPost). ....It will take you to her previous posts. Read through them.

Also click her name for her profile/qualifications. Here's what she wrote:
    In May 2009 I graduated with my Bachelor's in Exercise, Sport, and Health Education.
    In January 2010 I began my PhD in Skeletal Muscle Physiology & Biochemistry.
    I am currently a graduate teaching assistant for Metabolic Nutrition; I also work in the lab as a research assistant. My goal is to earn all A's for the duration of my degree and eventually become a tenured professor at a small university.

Songbyrdsweet doesn't post here much anymore, but she is very knowledgeable. College educated knowledgeable. Not the school of Google.

It scares me that people who have been on this site for a week and have never lost any weight are giving advice. EDUCATE yourselves people. DON'T necessarily believe the advice given by someone with no track record.

he he. I'm here, too.