Calories Given By Elliptical's Computer Accurate?

Options
I have an elliptical machine that I do most of my workouts on. Can I honestly trust the calories that the little computer tells me? Some of the higher end machines ask me to plug in my age and weight in the computer. Mine doesn't. I heard somewhere that the little computers are actually a percentage too high (not sure what that is). Any input?

Replies

• LoserCruiser
    Options
    I know a trainer once told me if your obese than you actually burn off MORE than the machine says!
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    On the elliptical I use, regardless of if I input my age/weight, the calorie burn stays the same. The weight/age is used to show me if I'm burning in my target zone or not.

The machine tells me I burn about 600 - 620 calories an hour, and MFP tells me around 780 for the same exercise.
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    My elliptical always overestimates my calories by at least a hundred in a 30 minute time span and more when I go longer. I use a heart rate monitor to get an accurate idea so that I don't think that I have exercise calories that I don't have.
  • tinalcross
    Options
    My elliptical doesn't ask for my age, but does ask for my weight. However, I usually compare my calories on the elliptical and on MFP, they are relatively the same or pretty close to it.
  • tungaiunwa
    tungaiunwa Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    no not accurate in the least! i found an online calculator and when the machine told me i burned 200 calories it was closer to 568. you weight has a huge impact on calories burned and if your machine doesnt take your weight into consideration then it wont be close to right. i went to a gym a few years back and one of the trainers told me even on the high end machines the calorie estimate is on the low side
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Same with me - my HRM gives me about 200 cals for 30 minutes. Elliptical's own computer gives over 300. I go by my HRM.
  • luckyinlife
    luckyinlife Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My elliptical always tell me that I burn about 100 calories MORE than what my Heart Rate Monitor says! So, I go with the HRM.
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    On the elliptical I use, regardless of if I input my age/weight, the calorie burn stays the same. The weight/age is used to show me if I'm burning in my target zone or not.

The machine tells me I burn about 600 - 620 calories an hour, and MFP tells me around 780 for the same exercise.

I wear a heart rate monitor and it will tell me I've burned 400 calories and MFP will say I've burned 600 ---- so I just put the lessor
  • JRRCLR
    JRRCLR Posts: 353
    Options
    no not accurate in the least! i found an online calculator and when the machine told me i burned 200 calories it was closer to 568. you weight has a huge impact on calories burned and if your machine doesnt take your weight into consideration then it wont be close to right. i went to a gym a few years back and one of the trainers told me even on the high end machines the calorie estimate is on the low side

Do you have that site for that calculator? Thanks!
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    It won't be accurate with just weight and age. To be as accurate as possible, you need to have weight, height, sex and age, at the least.

My HRM also does a "fitness test" - resting heart rate - which further helps with accuracy. If you're just starting out, or only in your first few months, you can use the elliptical calories on here. If you're close to your goal, as I am, and already quite fit, then I would recommend a good heart rate monitor instead.