Calorie Intake vs. Too few calories

Is there a resource to help suggest an acceptable or advisable value to be negative in calories? I know if you are short too many calories over an extended time your body goes into "famine" mode making it harder to burn calories no matter how hard you work.

I am looking for a resource to help me figure out where I should be to burn the weight w/o putting myself in the danger zone.

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    I don't understand the first paragraph

You could use MFP recommendation or TDEE: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

If you decide on TDEE, you could change your MFP settings to reflect your TDEE as follows: My HOME > Goals > Change Goals > Custom.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    You mean how big should your deficit be?

The usual advice is no more than 1-2 lbs per week, unless you are extremely overweight and under a doctor's care--so 1000 calories per day deficit or less, ideally made up of a combination of exercise and calorie cutting (as that seems to have less effect on your metabolism). Of course, you still don't want to cut too low to get good nutrition (below 1200, for example), and if the deficit puts you too low, it's too low for your particular weight and body. If you are closer to your goal weight a higher deficit may be counterproductive, due to potential loss of muscle mass, etc.
  • NeermannB
    NeermannB Posts: 3 Member
    Yes. I want to burn enough without endangering myself by being too low.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    I know if you are short too many calories over an extended time your body goes into "famine" mode making it harder to burn calories no matter how hard you work.

No, that's not true in any meaningful sense.

People who are "short too many calories" get real skinny, real fast.