Advocare Challenge, diet, exercise...not working

Options
2»

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    You have time to log, you just chose to do other things. It doesn't take that long. It sure as heck takes less time than the time you have devoted to responding here. Just sayin. ;)

If you want to change your body you have you change your life. You won't see results in a week and you won't change without doing things different. You aren't being successful with NOT logging............so log. I agree with those who say you don't HAVE to.........but if you notice they are folks who did it for a long time. NOW they know. I don't have to log either because I've been doing it long enough to really know. You haven't.

Also, to me you don't seem to be working out enough to see a huge loss.

And like someone else said, you seem slim already so it's harder to take off that last 10 or 15 than, say, someone who is obese and needs to lose 100lbs.

Acocare looks so gimicky to me and the thing I've learned is that there is no magic anything that makes this work and makes it work fast. If you want to lose the weight long term, you just have to put in the old fashioned effort to change your activity levels and committ to doing it long term.
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have used Advocare before and it works great as long as you are eating enough and working out (as with all supps). It takes longer than 8 days to see results. first you have to let the supps get into your system and start working then lose the water weight.
    I lost 30 lbs in 5 months using Advocare and working out for an hour 3-5 days a week. I did weight training and cardio. I was in my best shape and when I stopped using Advocare, I also stopped working out, I gained 10lbs back. it is semi expensive but with all supps it will get expensive.

Don't give up and keep with it. The 24 day challenge is rough but I have seen amazing results on it!!!!

I have lost 26 pounds in 5 months without any supps at all. It's the food and the exercise (food mostly). I have to log all my food and I weigh all food like chicken etc.

You don't need supps at all, and as for time, I hear you. I am a mom of a 9 month old, work 10 hour days as a social worker, and still do boot camp 3 times a week for an hour each time. I just make the time and that means getting up at 5 am one day, going after work another day (getting a babysitter to do so) and then going Saturday morning while my husband stays with the baby. You just have to make the time!
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I am really bad about keeping to my diary. I really need to get back on doing it. I usually eat 3 eggs for breakfast with either a small porkchop or almonds. A snack I will eat fruit such as an apple or banana with a rice cake with some all natural peanut butter. Lunch: I eat a big salad with green onions, tomatoes, light dressing, no cheese, and a chicken breast. Maybe another snack I will eat carrots and celery. Dinner may consist of a bag of steamable vegetables, chicken breast, and a serving of whole grain rice. This is just a typical day. And at least 1.5-3 liters of water

Okay.. never in a million years would I guess that I would say this - because I am very much an advocate of the whole eat more, weigh less concept. However.. you are significantly smaller than me.. and this seems like a lot of food even for me! Particularly if you are guestimating. I agree with perhaps measuring your protein portions and tracking everything.

I find that because I don't track perfectly and I am probably always over what I think I'm eating, it has actually worked to lower my calorie goals on here, giving me a 200-300 buffer. It is a mental game, but allows me the little bit of freedom I need. I've just recently started losing again. Turns out I didn't need as much food as I thought I did!
  • owensmommy0925
    Options
    You don't need supps at all, and as for time, I hear you. I am a mom of a 9 month old, work 10 hour days as a social worker, and still do boot camp 3 times a week for an hour each time. I just make the time and that means getting up at 5 am one day, going after work another day (getting a babysitter to do so) and then going Saturday morning while my husband stays with the baby. You just have to make the time!
    [/quote]

I agree with you about making time. I went from doing absolutely nothing to briskly walking/jogging a mile once or twice a day every day of the week, and doing a 20-minute ball workout routine along with it. I should probably add in more cardio and some weights, but I am taking it in increments and slowly adding in.
  • owensmommy0925
    Options
    [/quote]
    Okay.. never in a million years would I guess that I would say this - because I am very much an advocate of the whole eat more, weigh less concept. However.. you are significantly smaller than me.. and this seems like a lot of food even for me! Particularly if you are guestimating. I agree with perhaps measuring your protein portions and tracking everything.

I find that because I don't track perfectly and I am probably always over what I think I'm eating, it has actually worked to lower my calorie goals on here, giving me a 200-300 buffer. It is a mental game, but allows me the little bit of freedom I need. I've just recently started losing again. Turns out I didn't need as much food as I thought I did!
    [/quote]

I agree it is a ton of food I feel like. Before this Advocare challenge, I would eat maybe twice a day and a snack. My calorie intake would be around 1200 when I was actually tracking it. I wasn't losing weight by eating less, actually gaining. So I thought I would increase my calories and see where that gets me. Trust me I do not want to eat all this. I just have to find something that works for this body of mine. I went back and logged what I ate yesterday which was around the example I gave, and it was 1700 and something calories. I dont know what to do.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Based on your ticker you only have 6 more pounds you want to lose? If that's the case then it is going to take a while. I lost my first 20 pounds within the first three months but the last 5-10 took another 3-4 months. I don't know what you have your amount set for but once I got to that point I changed mine to 1/2 pound a week (which was roughly 1600 calories). I guess my best piece of advice is to have patience and it will come. I also know at that stage of my weight loss I was losing inches faster than pounds so if you don't measure you may want to?
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am on Day 8 of the Advocare 24-Day Challenge, and I am seeing no results. I only use the products as a supplement to my diet and lifestyle changes for the extra boost that I have heard so much about. I am doing a mile brisk walk with my son in the jogging stroller 1-2 times a day, and a 20 minute ball workout regimen. I eat only vegetables, fruit, lean meat, and plenty of protein. I have completely cut soda, sweets, and fast food out of my diet. I am only drinking water: 1.5-3.0 liters a day. I eat 3 meals a day plus a light snack or two at night at work ( I work night shift). I try not to eat after 9pm. I just do not understand why I am not seeing ANY results. I know it has only been a little over a week, but I thought changing my eating habits so drastically and actually working out would produce some results up front. I will take any advice.

I have been approached about Advocare and losing weight is a secondary "feature" of the cleanse. The primary feature is to clean out the toxins in your body. I've tried the Spark energy product and it, along with other energy products, just don't work for me. I was told, I need to cleanse my system and "reset" it.

Like many others have said, losing weight is a result of eating at a deficit. You may have cut out soda, sweets and fast food, but if you 1) are eating an excess of the remaining items beyond your TDEE less a deficit, or 2) aren't eating enough of the remaining items to meet your TDEE less a deficit, the weight won't budge

I want to reiterate that your lifestyle when you set up MFP should be set to "moderately active" at minimum. You say you work night shift but you don't eat after 9 P??? If you work 7P-7A (what I consider nights), you should not have a 9P cut-off for food especially if you are moving about for the next 10 hours.

Just my $0.02 worth. Hope it helps!
  • sydneybugg
    Options
    So far as I have read throughout this whole thread no one has addressed your sleeping. I know it is almost impossible to change because you are working 12 hour night shifts, but the lack of sleep is probably a big reason you are not dropping the weight you want to. When I started on my journey I was working third shift and had a three year old at home. When I did lose weight it was very slowly, even though I was doing everything "right". I ended up leaving the position for other reasons, and it seemed like the weight just melted off. The only thing that changed was that I was getting more sleep, and better sleep. Maybe try to figure out what you can do to add a little sleep to your schedule.
  • coletoy
    coletoy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You're not eating on the advocare plan - you won't lose weight. It's 5-6 small meals per day (based on your weight) - morning protein, complex carb, veggie. Mid-morning fruit and healthy fat, lunch protein, complex carb, veggie, afternoon fruit and fat, evening protein and veggie - everything needs to be measured carefully. Your diet doesn't seem at all in line with the recommendations for max results.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You're not eating on the advocare plan - you won't lose weight. It's 5-6 small meals per day (based on your weight) - morning protein, complex carb, veggie. Mid-morning fruit and healthy fat, lunch protein, complex carb, veggie, afternoon fruit and fat, evening protein and veggie - everything needs to be measured carefully. Your diet doesn't seem at all in line with the recommendations for max results.

You do realize the OP's post is from two years ago right? Also, do you realize that meal timing and meal frequency is completely irrelevant to weight loss right?