Encouragement to stop binges

Options
I'm getting so frustrated with my binge-eating habits. I can't tell anyone around me because I'm ashamed and I just hate hate hate feeling depressed all the time and not wanting to go out with friends because I'm either bloated, trying to debloat or going on one of my "eat only healthy food" phases that has me running screaming from anything that isn't a "safe food".

I used to be really disciplined and had a body I loved. Now I just hate myself for not having the self control to just stop.

If anyone's broken the habit, how did you do it? And does anyone with the same issue want to be texting buddies so we can tell each other to knock it off?

Replies

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I think first I'd have to ask what your goals are. You posted something in July about hunger issues - so what are your stats, how much weight are you trying to lose (if you are), and what is your daily calorie intake. You may be too low, which can lead to excessive hunger and binging as a result.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I'm copying and pasting my below answer from a previous thread that I posted in today.

When I was having the most problems with binging was also when I was restricting the most. I got help because the lack of control associated with the binging scared me. I couldn't understand why I was going crazy when I had been "good" for so long.

Throughout the process of getting help, and working with my nutritionist, I found out several things. The first is that over-restriction and not eating enough for my activity level was one of the major causes of my binges. Even now, if I work out too much, I will get that same urge again. Sometimes I will be fine for a week, and then it will hit me. So now I have to make sure I eat ENOUGH, or I don't work out as much.

Another thing I learned was to make sure I had a good level of fat in my diet. Even today, I try to keep my fat around 30-40% (G-d I love peanut butter!!). This really seems to help.

I also have to make sure I get enough sleep. Sleep deprivation is a major culprit with my binges, especially if it is combined with any of the above (too little calories, too little fat, or too much exercise).

One big thing is not to try to "make up" for a binge. Because then you restrict, and workout too much, all leading up to another binge, and the cycle just goes on and on. The important thing is breaking the cycle.

I hope some of this might help you!
  • DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvGyuBZIIAAvGyO.jpg:large

I find that this helps when i've craving certain foods. You can still binge but on the right stuff :)
  • hedean
    hedean Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I can absolutely relate to you because this has been the constant cycle of my life! I totally get it- sometimes I need to stay at home to make sure everything I eat is super healthy or other times I need to stay at home so I can stuff my face with as much food as I want in private! I really wish it were easier to stick to being healthy, but usually after 1-2 weeks I start binging again because I somehow convince myself I'll be happier if I eat what I want. That's not true, as we both know!

I think we should probably try to replace our binging habit with something else, but I haven't found anything suitable yet in my life. It needs to be something that you can't binge while doing (for example tv, reading, etc) but I don't know if exercising would be the best replacement because you'll get tired out if you always are running to the gym when you feel like binging! Not to mention that that sort of willpower is nearly impossible. Any ideas?
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I've never had an issue with binges to the point where I'd consider it an ED, but I ave struggled with it in the past quite a bit.

In every single scenario I can remember, it wasn't about the food- it was about lack of control in my life. The food was just something I wanted on the side, like a comfort or a way to get something I wanted that day. It was a way for me to lash out and "get mine", or treat myself, or whatever excuse I used to talk myself into eating crap until I was sorry. I used it as an escape, a reward, a revenge tactic, etc. But it was never about the food.

I managed to get it under control when I took control of other aspects of my life. I started cleaning my house regularly, drawing up schedules for fun activities and tasks that needed doing, and I sat down and budgeted my income for the month - and I made sure to set some cash aside to buy myself a non-food treat. It wasn't instant, but when I started viewing other areas of my life in a positive manner, I didn't need the food anymore. I saw myself being the person I'd always dreamed of (in ways other than physical beauty), and somehow it made me a lot more confident about my ability to crack down on my diet and exercise. Eventually, I hit a point where I could finally value a tiny deficit at the end of the day over that last cookie on the plate.

I don't know if any of that helps, but I hope you find peace soon.
  • trrobertson1
    Options
    I struggle with that often. I have found that mine is usually under-eating to try and make up for my lack of exercise that day combined with stress and lack of sleep. I would love to be a texting buddy to anyone stuggling with it, because I still do struggle.
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from binge/purge disorder for years. My best thing to improve mood and eating behaviors is exercising. Weightlifting has been empowering, believing I can lift weight some how triggers me to believe anything is possible. I still have slip ups but not nearly as bad. I also make sure I eat enough. I eat at a small deficit. I track everything I eat and burn. I lose slower but if I have a larger deficit I end up binging and not losing anything.
  • sarahbellum09
    sarahbellum09 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've never had an issue with binges to the point where I'd consider it an ED, but I ave struggled with it in the past quite a bit.

In every single scenario I can remember, it wasn't about the food- it was about lack of control in my life. The food was just something I wanted on the side, like a comfort or a way to get something I wanted that day. It was a way for me to lash out and "get mine", or treat myself, or whatever excuse I used to talk myself into eating crap until I was sorry. I used it as an escape, a reward, a revenge tactic, etc. But it was never about the food.

I managed to get it under control when I took control of other aspects of my life. I started cleaning my house regularly, drawing up schedules for fun activities and tasks that needed doing, and I sat down and budgeted my income for the month - and I made sure to set some cash aside to buy myself a non-food treat. It wasn't instant, but when I started viewing other areas of my life in a positive manner, I didn't need the food anymore. I saw myself being the person I'd always dreamed of (in ways other than physical beauty), and somehow it made me a lot more confident about my ability to crack down on my diet and exercise. Eventually, I hit a point where I could finally value a tiny deficit at the end of the day over that last cookie on the plate.

I don't know if any of that helps, but I hope you find peace soon.

I totally relate to this. I have never been able to nail it on the head, but this sounds totally like you wrote down my experience. I am glad I came across this post because I am still in that state and every day I feel worse. When I look around my house I don't feel at home. I feel like my life is just passing by and I'm along for the ride. I am going to try some of the things that helped you. Maybe it really isn't about the food after all...
  • Lexandrei
    Options
    I think first I'd have to ask what your goals are. You posted something in July about hunger issues - so what are your stats, how much weight are you trying to lose (if you are), and what is your daily calorie intake. You may be too low, which can lead to excessive hunger and binging as a result.

I'm 130lbs and 5'2. My lowest weight was 107 lb and that was when I was weightlifting like a maniac. I've found that my happy weight when this nonsense was non-existent is between 115 and 120lbs.

The thing is that I've got this weird gallbladder issue I'm trying to sort out with my gastro that has me bent over the porcelain throne heaving my guts up once or twice a week. I'm unable to eat anything for the next two meals or I'll be on the receiving end of some very unwelcome pain. I'm suspecting that having to sporadically skip meals like this might have a hand in it. Because of my work schedule I usually skip a meal per day as well. What I don't get is why I react by binge-eating. Somedays I can go the entire day without being hungry but on my days off from work I want to eat everything in sight.

I can assure you I'm eating more than enough per day haha. My meals usually turn out huge. I've tried having multiple "mini-meals" throughout the day but they just make me really hungry.
  • Val8less
    Val8less Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from...Thanks for sharing ((BIG HUGS)) to you...I sometimes cycle through a period of binge eating...and then it just stops....
    I really try to focus on my body...am I really hungry or is it thirst...sometimes its hard to tell the difference...Keeping a food journal helps alot!
    ALSO...this might sound gross...but I found out I had a parasite infestation....once I got the right kind of medicine for it....the CRAVINGS went away....
    You might look into this...it is not that uncommon...
    Good luck and wishing you the best!