Water Drinking Question

Options
So, I want to know what role drinking water has in weight loss. None at all, I'm pretty sure. Then why is it part of the logging? I probably drink 1-2 glasses of water a day. I don't drink anything else--no coffee or soda or alcohol--I'm just never thirsty. Do I really need to up my water intake if it just makes me feel bloated and gross? I have had issues with dehydration my whole life, including several fainting spells and low blood pressure, but now I just avoid outdoor activities.

Am I getting this all wrong? Will drinking more water help me lose weight?

Replies

• Amelia0471
    Options
    http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_water.php

Check this out. And for me water keeps me full... like if i want a snack or something but already reached my calorie goal and i drink water instead and im less likely to snack pretty sure it revs up metabolism too :) hope this helps a little bit
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    So, I want to know what role drinking water has in weight loss. None at all, I'm pretty sure. Then why is it part of the logging? I probably drink 1-2 glasses of water a day. I don't drink anything else--no coffee or soda or alcohol--I'm just never thirsty. Do I really need to up my water intake if it just makes me feel bloated and gross? I have had issues with dehydration my whole life, including several fainting spells and low blood pressure, but now I just avoid outdoor activities.

Sounds like you need more water. Not for weight loss but just for hydration from the sounds of your fainting and LBP!
    Are you eating a lot of watery vegetables and soups? They add too, but it sounds like you need to buck up and get hydrated and flush your kidneys.
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a ton of vegetables and I HATE soup. So no, not really. People always say that your body will tell you when it needs water, but I'm never thirsty. When I do drink water, it just feels unpleasant.
  • JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a ton of vegetables and I HATE soup. So no, not really. People always say that your body will tell you when it needs water, but I'm never thirsty. When I do drink water, it just feels unpleasant.
    You can get used to very small amounts of water, which doesn't mean your body doesn't need more.

You could try adding some small amounts of water during the day - like: getting up in the morning, having "two shots" of water. Then with breakfast, half a glass of water... and so on.
    You will probably have to take small steps increasing the water intake as your body seems pretty used to the situation.
  • Amelia0471
    Options
    Since you dont seem to like water you could try adding to it, I used to put slices of lemon, lime and cucumber in my water when I wanted something with taste and it worked well and got me to drink it more often at first!
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options

Yes, drinking water will help a lot. I understand that it makes you feel "bloated and gross" but that is because your body isn't used to having much of it right now. Water is the supply line and lubricant for every bodily function. Your body will readjust to having more of it when you drink more regularly. Your kidneys, and every other organ, will thank you for it.
    Yes you will go to the bathroom more, BUT that's a good thing. You'll be getting rid of more of the waste that you don't want to be carrying anyway. :)
    Give it a try for 2 weeks and see how you feel. :)
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    Dehydration can cause low blood volume which causes your heart to work harder than needed to get the blood and oxygen around your body. Low blood volume often causes low blood pressure when you stand up. That drop In Blood pressure will cause dizziness and sometimes cause you to completely black out.

Thirst isn't the only sign you need water. I fact if you ignore that signal long enough your brain will stop recognizing it completely. Kinda like hunger cues in people with eating disorders.
  • keelybird57
    keelybird57 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

Yes, you have it wrong! Water is not just for weight loss but will help you lose weight. It is the ultimate detoxifier. Chronic dehydration has a multitude of negative side effects that can result in death. You are already showing symptoms of chronic dehydration yet you are looking for reasons why you don't need to drink water? On a short term basis, dehydration causes the release of cortisol which impedes weight loss. Water plays a large role in muscle recovery so without water you muscles don't repair as quickly after exercise causing them to retain whatever water is in your body. Keeping well rehydrated prevents water retention.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    People always say that your body will tell you when it needs water, but I'm never thirsty.

You realize the dehydration and passing out is another way your body tells you, right?
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Yes you need more water. I think it's obvious if you pass out and have had issues before.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Try flavoring it. I hated water when I started out. Some people might argue with this but you might try adding the Propel flavor packets or Crystal Light packets to make it taste better. I did that and just got in the habit of drinking a lot of fluid. Or just ice water, helps with the taste. Just try to build up how much you drink. Water is really important, and yeah if your having issues with fainting and blood pressure you need more water. Or you can go talk to your doctor.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options

So don't drink water.

Or anything for that matter.

See how long you survive without any sort of hydration.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

This is wrong. Your body will essentially "learn" to cope with what it's given, even if it's not enough. That's why people with hypothermia commonly don't feel all that cold, or people starving in concentration camps don't always feel hungry.

Just because you don't feel like your body is "telling" you something doesn't mean you don't need it. You need more water. 8 cups a day, minimum.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its 2L of fluids a day and 20% of that is expected to come from food.
    It cna help with loss by supressing appetite, but im more bothered about assisting your bodies functions.

Apparently

1. Drinking Water Helps Maintain the Balance of Body Fluids.
    2. Water Can Help Control Calories.
    3. Water Helps Energize Muscles
    4. Water Helps Keep Skin Looking Good.
    5. Water Helps Your Kidneys.
    6. Water Helps Maintain Normal Bowel Function.

I probably dont always drink 2l, but its 2l of fluid so tea and coffee count. Juices etc.

Btw MFP isnt just about weight loss, it also includes nutrition, fitness and a healthy lifestyle. You sure are coming up with some challenging questions. Like the reason to lift weights. Just look at the people who have done what you want to do and listen to how they got there.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    You can get used to very small amounts of water, which doesn't mean your body doesn't need more.

You could try adding some small amounts of water during the day - like: getting up in the morning, having "two shots" of water. Then with breakfast, half a glass of water... and so on.
    You will probably have to take small steps increasing the water intake as your body seems pretty used to the situation.

I agree with this advice above, OP.

I rarely feel thirsty either and for years and years I was totally fine with 1 cup of coffee and two 12 oz cans of diet cola per day. No other drinks and no water. I never had fainting spells or physician diagnosed dehydration but I definitely feel better drinking more water. I now drink about 60-80 oz per day as a 5'8" 170 lb woman and a lot of people say that's nowhere near enough but for me it seems to be pretty good.

I do think you may need to step it up slowly. Years ago there were times when I was used to very low intake of fluids and suddenly forced myself to drink a lot of it and I did feel bloated and was constantly in the restroom for a day or so (and inconveniently during the night). But your body really does get used to it.

What helped me was learning the best way to drink water for me is refrigerator cold in a cup with a straw. I don't really like ice water or room temperature water and drinking it out of a glass or bottle tastes less pleasant to me (although now I'll drink it however because I have truly come to prefer water).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Your body IS telling you you need water. See the bold.

It doesn't need to be 8 glasses necessarily. But it does need to be enough to avoid, ya know, fainting spells and low blood pressure.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I didn't mention this in my earlier post but I think one "vain" (probably the wrong word) motivator for me to drink more water is experiences I've had while using MFP. For example...road trip with my husband eating some fried food and sweets that I don't normally eat, and not drinking much water...4 lb temporary gain. A few weeks later on the exact same type of trip, same sort of food indulgences, but drinking loads of water during the trip...less than 1 lb temporary gain. Of course there could be many other variables at play there but for me that's proof enough ;-)
  • carolineat111
    carolineat111 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I drink 10-12 8oz glasses of water a day. It will absolutely aid in weight loss and by your post you clearly need more of it.
  • violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Based on your diary you are eating a lot of sodium. Drinking water will help dump some of that and you are probably carrying a little extra water weight, so that alone would be a good reason to drink more.