Gaining seven pounds now :(

Options
Hello, I have been actively logging in every day now for 15 days. I log all that I have to eat, drink, and when I workout. I even log the guilty food I eat such as a cookie or slice of cake. MFP says I should be losing weight, but I just weighted myself and I gain 7 pounds. I just started a new workout program two weeks ago, could it be water weight? Another thought could it be eating too much salt? Any thoughts would be great. Thanks in advance. :)

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Water retention from sodium and a new workout could do it.

How are you measuring your food - measuring cups and a food scale, or just eyeballing it? Accurate logging is key and can make a huge difference.

But it's also only been two weeks, and it can take some time for the body to adjust to all the new things. If you don't have a food scale, consider picking one up - they don't cost much and are a great tool to have.
  • kenc1971
    kenc1971 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    How accurate is the workout data you're supplying? Are you eating back your workout calories. Many times, the fault lies in overestimating the calories burned, and underestimated the calories eaten :)

Make sure you're drinking enough water, too!
  • SamLD88
    SamLD88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yeah, a food scale makes all the difference. I picked mine up for $0.99 in a thrift store. Also, be careful not to do too much, too soon. Not sure about you, but every time I've ever "tried to get healthier (lose weight)" I started off strict and ended up either hurting myself or starting to binge when I didn't see results. This time, I'm taking it slow (1 lb loss / week) and easy (lifting 3x a week, cardio just for fun).
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Aside from the possibility that you are retaining water due to starting or changing your workout routine, are you nearing your period?

Also, another vote for getting a food scale if you aren't using one.
  • kenc1971
    kenc1971 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I picked mine up for $0.99 in a thrift store.

Song...stuck in...my head....
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are weighing and measuring EVERYTHING! When on a new exercise regimen, its normal to retain water-(also women close to TOM).
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    another thought, how accurate is your scale? if it's an older type with the dial, you may not actually be up 7 lbs.
  • Brianne333
    Brianne333 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    There are already some helpful pointers here but to reiterate:

- accurate measuring and tracking of food is SO crucial. People underestimate what they are eating easily when they are not accurately measuring.

- likewise people sometimes overestimate the difficultly of their workouts and sometimes that leads to them thinking they've burned more calories than they really have!

- women will gain water weight near that time of the month and there isn't really much you can do about that

- too much salt (I know I personally will easily gain 4 pounds of water weight overnight if I eat too much salt in a day!)

- muscles retaining water if you've been working out real hard lately

Also - this is something that's really important for you to know especially in the beginning - but a lot of people think this weight loss and fitness thing just looks like a downward progression on a scale. It does not. Even when you are doing everything right, this journey has ups and downs on the scale. You might lose weight and then gain a little and then lose a lot. Even when you are doing everything "right". Don't be discouraged this early on - keep going on, keep working out and eating better and you WILL see results!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Only way to know is with an open diary and if your logging your sodium intake as well
  • Brianne333
    Brianne333 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I picked mine up for $0.99 in a thrift store.

Song...stuck in...my head....
    annnnnnd now it's mine too lol