Good meal replacement for working mom

Hi everyone! I'm looking for some suggestions for meal replacements. Either bar or shake would be fine. I manage a restaurant and obviously our busy times are at meal times. I try to keep a somewhat normal meal schedule so that I am not eating at god awful times of the day. I need something that I can eat quick that will keep me full. Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Lara bars or Luna Bars maybe.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Make your own shake with:

Protein powder
    Milk
    Oats (blended into fine powder first)
    Fruit

That is a legit meal in shake form. Should keep you full for a while. Use casein protein, instead of whey, if you want to be full even longer.
  • rkammerer
    rkammerer Posts: 12 Member
    Thanks guys. I will try making my own shake tomorrow. I like Lara bars but use them as a snack instead of a meal :)
  • ajax041813
    ajax041813 Posts: 136 Member
    Here is my suggestion for a shake:

1 avocado
    2-3 cups mixed greens, spinach and kale usually, sometimes red and green chard.
    3-4 cups almond milk, unsweetened vanilla
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tbsp. cinnamon

This recipe yields between 30-40oz of shake. I make this recipe because it's easier for me to have some prepped in the fridge instead of making them daily. I portion them into 6oz since we use them as snacks. I would recommend adding nut butter and fruit for a meal replacement. Peanut, almond, cashew, even sunflower butter would be good in this. I suggest using blueberries, I think they taste the best. I have also tried strawberries, raspberries and like blueberries better. The more stuff you add to the original recipe the more it will yield for you. I try to use up all smoothies in 3 days. Hope this helps. I managed a restaurant for 6 years so I understand that struggle. I would just eat late. Good for you for taking strides to be healthy! Great job!
  • rkammerer
    Thanks so much! I will try this recipe as well :)
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    When I can't eat, or don't have the time to sometimes, I opt for a shake made with:

Yoghurt
    Banana
    Frozen berries
    Seeds (Flax/ Hemp/ Chia/ Sunflower/ Pumpkin)
    Nuts (Almonds/ Brazils/ Walnuts)
    Coconut oil (usually just a teaspoon)
    Peanut butter (optional & don't always add)
    Water (enough to give the consistency you want)

Very filling, and full of great fats and nutrients, but you may have to weigh/ measure carefully with many of the ingredients as you could easily add more calories than you expect. Using a big dollop of full fat yoghurt, a medium banana, a handful of berries, 1/4 cup of seeds, 1/4 cup of nuts, and 1 tsp of coconut oil, you're looking at approx. 650 calories, but you can scale down the ingredients to make it less calorically dense.

I find this keeps me quite full until my next meal, but to make it even more meaty and also to up the protein content, I shall likely add a scoop of protein powder to it in future. Doing that, you're probably looking at another 100 calories.

That would be my full on meal replacement, but if I simply needed something quick and easy to get me through a few hours, in the past I found a homemade granola bar (1/2 oats, 1/2 nuts and seeds) at about 300 calories, and with something like a piece of fruit, would keep me fuelled for a good 2/ 3 hours. You can't really knock the combo of complex carbs, with good fats, and some protein, to keep you going I've found :)
  • rkammerer
    Thank you so much! All of this helps so much!
  • 32sami
    32sami Posts: 380 Member
    Peanut butter, banana, milk, throw it in a blender.
  • Teresa_3266
    Teresa_3266 Posts: 298 Member
    Quest bars!! :heart: I have switched to eating these for my lunch at work and they stay with me for hours. Just make sure to microwave them for about 15 seconds so they will taste wayyyyy better!! I order mine on the Quest website with a free shipping promo code that I found off the Web. Made the bars $2.08 which is super cheap for a tasty and filling quick lunch.
  • rkammerer
    I have never heard of quest bars.....I will definitely look them up! <3 thanks!