pseudo-logging

Options
13»

Replies

• 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand why you wouldn't just log everything but not care if you go over if you want to see how many calories you've been taking in. Eat the 1.5 servings and then just not pay attention. You say you aren't cutting calories but then you say you don't have enough calories left after afternoon snack...that doesn't make sense.

I also just read that you want to just record food so you can see where to make changes by baby steps. How will you know if you don't know how many calories those foods contain?

I agree do this
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Mybe I'm missing something, but isn't the point of using MFP to change the way you eat to begin with?

why wait? Why do you need an idea of what you are eating? For me...
    The OP is not you. She will be doing many things in her life differently than you do them.

She asked a question.

She didn't ask for everyone's opinions or approval.
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    Options
    There's a site I used to use before mfp called dietdiaries.com it's a community, you can have your diary set to private and there is support. And then once you're ready to start counting you can come back here.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Set your calories to 9999 -- and then just ignore that column.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you're intimidated by the numbers, calories, tracking, and just need some baseline portion control, maybe the 21 days fix' colored containers or Rosemary Conley's portion pots would work better for you than MFP? After all, this is a calorie counting website.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan, OP. I don't understand why so many aren't getting it. You just wanted to gather data on your current eating habits so you could have info that could help you make changes. Makes sense to me. I didn't start my weight loss like that since I wasn't on MFP at the time, but I did use that approach to my nutritional goals after switching to vegetarian last Jan. Just logged without looking at things like iron, protein, calcium, etc. I wanted to see what data I got from just eating on my current plan for a week, making the choices I usually make... I learned that I was naturally making good choices with most nutrients but that my iron was WAY low. So I did some studying and developed a plan to add more iron-rich foods to my usual diet.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I started out this way.. Way back in the day when I first started on any path to eating better, I joined a cal logging site like this one, and right away was logging what I ate, but yeah, was conscious of what I was eating and changed my habits to fit the log. Problem is if I wasnt logging, which wasnt always possible at the time (this was before smart phones, apps and all that fun stuff that makes it easy nowadays) I thought I was eating better when I really wasn't cause Id start gaining, lose enthusiasm and give up.

Only because I go through "pen and paper" phases, did I do what was suggested in here, to write down everything I was eating. Eventually, I remembered the site I was on and put in all the stuff Id been eating into my log a couple weeks later and realized my problem.Id eat next to nothing (waay less than the 1200 min) then make up for it plus some either at the end of the day or on the weekends.

Being able to see what I do mindlessly/naturally, helped me hone in on what I have to put a real effort into changing in my natural habits. For many people "diet" or "eating healthy" consists a lot of the calories in / calories out- just eat less. But for me personally, my focus is on making sure I eat throughout the day, every day.

So I can definitely see the benefit of psuedo-logging... I can also see why it would not be for everyone, but for me, it was key for me to get to the root of what my problem is so that I could proactively do something about it. And now, for me logging is even more beneficial than when I first did it, because I have a clear goal based on what my personal bad eating habits are.
  • Wkwthme
    Wkwthme Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi OP! I just wanted to encourage you in your journey. And say that I admire your dedication. Best of luck...work your plan and you will be successful.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Your diet so do it your way.

Its still interesting to log and see the numbers imo because it gets home the message just how much over you might be and which bits contain lots of calories and what you can do as an alternative.. Thats something you should want to know. If you never learn how much calories stuff contains then you arent going to get onto the nutrition side of things as well.

At some stage if you want to start losing then you are going to have to stop consuming more than you are burning. That will mean creating a deficit. Id set yourself some deadling to shify from the pseudo logging to real deficit management. Good luck.