Morning running safety

Options
Hi all-
I've always been really into running as a top choice for exercise. I always find it hard to do after working a 10-12 hour day. All I can really think about after work is how hungry I am for dinner ????.
I have thought a lot about doing a morning run but I have to start getting ready for work by 6:50 a at the latest. Sunrise at this time of year in Chicago is about 6:30.
I was just curious how many of you do morning runs and if you feel safe running that early? I live in a safer area of the city of Chicago but I still don't feel all that safe running before sunrise. You know the feeling where you can't really zone into the workout or listen to your headphones because you're looking all around for someone who might grab you? Does anyone else feel this way? Do you still go out for morning runs/walks? I'm jealous of all of you who live in super safe areas and can do anything you want in the early AM.

Replies

• StephenNesbit
    StephenNesbit Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I do my morning walk as often as I can. I live in a pretty safe neighborhood. Not many people are up between 5:30-6:30 except for high-school kids waiting at bus stops.
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hi all-
    I've always been really into running as a top choice for exercise. I always find it hard to do after working a 10-12 hour day. All I can really think about after work is how hungry I am for dinner ????.
    I have thought a lot about doing a morning run but I have to start getting ready for work by 6:50 a at the latest. Sunrise at this time of year in Chicago is about 6:30.
    I was just curious how many of you do morning runs and if you feel safe running that early? I live in a safer area of the city of Chicago but I still don't feel all that safe running before sunrise. You know the feeling where you can't really zone into the workout or listen to your headphones because you're looking all around for someone who might grab you? Does anyone else feel this way? Do you still go out for morning runs/walks? I'm jealous of all of you who live in super safe areas and can do anything you want in the early AM.

Well that's up to you, we all know that things haven't been super great lately on the South Side. But I don't think you have much to worry about unless you live in the middle of Blue Island. But its cold as **** that early. You will need to acclimate to the air. I've lived in some pretty ify places in my life (Brooklyn, Hartford, Boston, New Jersey, etc). I've never been attacked. Just use common sense. 6 am shouldn't be any problem and there are plenty of people around.
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I feel far far far safer running in the morning then I do in the evening.

But... I'm a guy, so I don't regularly have fears about being ambushed. Not to say that it never crosses my mind, but I'm certain I worry about it quite a bit less than the average female.

From a safety standpoint, my main worry is cars. So, high visibility is the order of the day. Wear bright and loud colors. In darkness wear a headlamp. Wear blinking lights. If anything, it will attract attention, and if you are ambushed, a light moving about frantically may draw the attention of others nearby.

Another thing to do is broadcast your runs with runkeeper, mapmyrun, garmin, etc. Some are free, some aren't, but it can be peace of mind. From a gadget perspective, the Bia is geared for this as well.

I'd also avoid the headphones if you can. I used to wear them last year until spring. I gave them up and enjoy my surroundings. I'm more alert without headphones. I don't know if my pace would have improved more or less with or without them, but I'm certainly faster than I was earlier in the year. Headphones tell attackers that (1) you may have a device they want (such as an ipod), and (2) you aren't aware of your surroundings. Runner or no, walking down the street with headphones in is generally not a good idea from a safety standpoint.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    as a 6'2" 230 lbs man, i will never know that feeling that you have.

but i understand that you want to go and get your runs done early. run in well lit areas, and carry lots of reflective clothing. lights that clip on the back and front of your belt can be helpful as well. don't wear headphones, to be better aware of your surroundings. and you can carry some kind of personal protective device, such as a whistle or horn. i think pepper spray might not be so good as you have to aim it, while a whistle or horn you do not.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm pushing 50, and live in a smaller city. I run just before sunrise. Sometimes alone.
    I feel much safer running in the morning than the night....

That said, find a running buddy if you can. Or bring "pepper" spray etc.

Early morning runs are awesome and a great way to start the day, if you can do it safely.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    My city isn't the best; the area I JUST moved from this summer has had a huge spike in gun violence..including some people getting shot near my old apartment. I sometimes went out early around sunrise, but I knew which routes I felt safest on, and always kept my music low enough so that I was aware of everything around me.

I would do a dry run of some routes in your car, or with a buddy, and see if you can find a well lit, "busy" area where you can run in. Planning a route, knowing some "escape routes" to safer areas if things get iffy, and knowing your route before you attempt it in the early morning will be best!
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I'm up and running between 4:30 and 5:00 every morning...I live in a safe area, but I have to watch out for cars... so I just ordered this... https://www.noxgear.com/tracer360

As some other posters said, something like this might be a deterrent....
  • tx_mom72
    Options
    I love going early morning because I just feel better throughout the day. Even tho I'm in a smaller city I still stick to well lit sidewalks & I don't wear earphones so I'm more aware of my surroundings. I only hit the hike & bike during daylight hrs or w/ a walking partner after dark because crime can happen anywhere. I've also become very familiar with the areas I walk so that if something doesn't feel right I know which direction to run w/ my big butt to get to an open business or other safe place! :laugh: Happy & safe running to you!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    When I lived in Chicago (Hyde Park), I wasn't much of a morning person, but I occasionally ran in the morning, and things seemed pretty safe. There aren't many people around at that hour, and most muggers are active later in the day. I'm a guy, and I was in my mid-20s then, but a number of people I knew had been mugged, so I tried to be attentive to my surroundings.

I would often run at night; my wife and I would walk the half-mile to the U. of Chicago outdoor track and run laps on it. It was well lit and had a security phone to campus police, so we felt pretty safe. I have a great memory of walking there the night in 1993 when the Bulls won their third consecutive NBA championship, and there were dozens of cars driving around with people hanging out the windows yelling "Three-peat!!!" over and over again.

I don't listen to headphones, mostly because I don't feel a need for music when I'm running, but also because I like being able to hear what is around me.

If you do decide to run before dawn, I'd advise being well lit—I just ordered an Amphipod xinglet with blinking LEDs for my runs in the dark on a country road, where traffic is my main concern. It would also make sense to carry a whistle or other loud noisemaker (maybe even a small air horn, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Falcon-Safety-Super-Sound-Horn/dp/B0000AXTVF/). Some people might consider pepper spray or bear spray, but a weapon like that could be turned against you.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    My main concern is cars. In the summer, I find the drivers are inattentive during the evening (cell phones???) but in the winter, I have a problem with drivers in the morning. They never seem to wake up early enough to allow their car windows to defrost. And I never run with headphones.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    I run at 4:30 am. Its just too hot after work and like OP said I'm too hungry then anyway. I live in a safe neighborhood but you never know. I stay in my neighborhood, which is small so I have to loop around which I don't like, but too scared to go out of the neighborhood. Besides the fear of a mugger, my main fear is of bears because we've had a lot this year. I need to get mace or some type of bear weapon(?) but haven't figured out what yet. I'm using my headphones but not real loud but when I tried to go without them I kept hearing noises in the woods and that scared me so I decided I'll just keep a good watch. It's a wonder I love my morning run with all these fears, but I do! On the weekends I wait till sunrise and that's the best! I can leave the neighborhood and run to a trail a mile away.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Hi all-

Well that's up to you, we all know that things haven't been super great lately on the South Side. But I don't think you have much to worry about unless you live in the middle of Blue Island. But its cold as **** that early. You will need to acclimate to the air. I've lived in some pretty ify places in my life (Brooklyn, Hartford, Boston, New Jersey, etc). I've never been attacked. Just use common sense. 6 am shouldn't be any problem and there are plenty of people around.

somehow i doubt that the OP lives on the south side. even if she does she doesn't fit the typical victim profile over there. not to mention that pretty much none of that violence happens pre-dawn.

but i would get up at the time you plan of running and drive around the route you plan on using. where i live it's pretty common to see people running very early and you can check out your area and see how many people are out there and maybe get a general idea of what path they take. use that route while you get comfortable with the idea of running early and then you can branch off and find your own paths when you're ready.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I live in a safer area of the city of Chicago but I still don't feel all that safe running before sunrise.

So what makes you think that it may not be safe at that time in the morning if it's a safer area?
    You know the feeling where you can't really zone into the workout or listen to your headphones because you're looking all around for someone who might grab you? Does anyone else feel this way? Do you still go out for morning runs/walks? I'm jealous of all of you who live in super safe areas and can do anything you want in the early AM.

So I'd ask the question of who do you think might be around in the mornings to grab you and what makes mornings specifically higher risk than other times of day?

Intuitively it doesn't make sense as someone who may have an intent to grab a random stranger is more likely to do so when random strangers happen to be around, so during the day and evening, rather than morning.

Personally I'd see inattentive cage dwellers as a more present risk in the early hours, in which case wear high viz clothing and avoid reducing your situational awareness with earphones. Personally I don't listen to music when I run anyway, so don't have that issue.
  • elledizzle2014
    Options
    I was grabbed once walking back from a friend's party at 4am in Union Sq in NYC - so I can completely identify with your fear! I had to shake the bugger off and run (he ran after me! thankfully at 4am in NY is last call, so a bunch of folks nursing their Gatorades on the sidewalk chased him away.)

That being said, I am older and wiser now and have learned a few things about that creepy 4-5am witching hour in the city. 1. stick to well-lit, busy areas. Very important to have other people around. 2. make sure a friend or family knows that you are going out. 3. strongly agree with no headphones that many others suggested. 4. don't be afraid to cross the street or turn around if you have a bad feeling about someone in front of you! 5. Look like you know where you are going, know what you are doing, and that you own the place :D Good luck!!