addicted to sugar??

Options
I seem to be really addicted to sugar. I dont know if its all in my mind or not but yesterday i took a step back and properly looked at what i was doing sugar wise a day and was quite shocked. Now im not talking about eating buiscuits or cake etc, i cant have them anyway as cant have gluten.
Its things you wouldnt think of eating on there own really such as buttercream (frosting) roll out icing, maple syrup, marzipan, dried fruit such as raisins and papaya, sweets like jelly babies etc, golden syrup and icing sugar.
Ill go into the kitchen to make a drink and everytime will pick at several of these without even thinking really. I live at home and my mum makes cakes for a living so theres always icing etc around and i just cant leave it alone. I have always had a sweet tooth but the past month or so it sees to of got really bad.
How many people do you know that drinks syrup out the bottle or eats spoons of buttercream on its own followed by some icing or spoonfulls of icing sugar
I have found my self always seeking out sweet things without realising. Today i told myself no more it needs to stop and i havent had any of it ( have had quite a bit of fruit though) because the thouht has been constantly in my mind, everytime i have been in the kitchen i have wanted it, so instead have had a handfu of grapes and almonds.

This seems really strange to me i dont know anyone else that eats sugar like this. Any advice? Could there be something wrong or is this just pure case of being to addicted to sugar and needing to cut back. I havent felt bad for not having any today, the thouhts have just been there such as it would be so nice to have some icing.

Hope this all makes sense, think im rambling a bit. Thankyou

Replies

• InspiredSAM
    InspiredSAM Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You absolutely can become addicted to sugar...in fact, manufactures count on it. Although we might not all be eating frosting by the spoonful, you are not alone in the mindless eating "a little of this" throughout the day.

Being mindful about the habit you've developed will go a long way. Tell yourself BEFORE you go into the kitchen that you don't want any frosting right now. Or that you don't need the jelly babies. Decide BEFORE. It really does help. And remind yourself often.
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same club
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Just because our bodies respond to something tasty, doesn't mean we're addicted. Sometimes, I'm still hungry and crave more hummus dip. Am I a hummus addict? No. My body responds to tastes I enjoy. Finding a balance with those things while still being mindful of my nutrition means that I can enjoy things in moderation without over complicating things.

Perhaps finding other foods to satiate you and hobbies to occupy your time will make you less likely to go straight for the cupboards. I used to boredom eat all day. It wasn't an addiction. I had an emotional impulse when I was stressed to fill that void with food. Now, I keep myself busy if I know I've eaten enough to sustain me and use fitness as an outlet.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Just because our bodies respond to something tasty, doesn't mean we're addicted. Sometimes, I'm still hungry and crave more hummus dip. Am I a hummus addict? No. My body responds to tastes I enjoy. Finding a balance with those things while still being mindful of my nutrition means that I can enjoy things in moderation without over complicating things.

Perhaps finding other foods to satiate you and hobbies to occupy your time will make you less likely to go straight for the cupboards. I used to boredom eat all day. It wasn't an addiction. I had an emotional impulse when I was stressed to fill that void with food. Now, I keep myself busy if I know I've eaten enough to sustain me and use fitness as an outlet.

This...so much this...
  • alison2earth
    Options
    When considering the definition of addiction, then yes, I feel that I am addicted to sugar.

What Is Addiction?
    Addiction is a condition that results when a person ingests a substance (e.g., alcohol, cocaine, nicotine) or engages in an activity (e.g., gambling, sex, shopping) that can be pleasurable but the continued use/act of which becomes compulsive and interferes with ordinary life responsibilities, such as work, relationships, or health. Users may not be aware that their behavior is out of control and causing problems for themselves and others. http://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/addiction

Eating sugar is an activity that gives pleasure and I continue to use it, compulsively, and it affects my health.

The most success I've had when eliminating sugar (which I need to start do again) is when I started juicing. Juicing helped kickstart healthier eating and I really got passed eating sugar like a fiend. In fact, I had stopped eating sugar all together. That was a year ago and I had a lot of success at that time. Unfortunately, I fell of the wagon at some point. But, it's good to know a method that worked for me in the past. It's hard to imagine getting over sugar... really hard. BUT, it most certainly can be done and know that it is not impossible. Also, I found when I drink caffeine (coffee and lattes) then I tended to eat more sugar. I don't know why. So, when I eliminate caffeine, I also eat less sugar. But, that's all me. I hope you find something that works for you! :)
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    MRI studies show that, in some individuals, food can provide the same brain "rewards" as recreational drugs. Yes, food can be an addiction and can generate very large resistance to overcoming that addiction. One technique that has had some success in those individuals plagued by a food addiction is to try to change their mindset from "food is a pleasure" to "food is only fuel". By concentrating on getting nutrients rather than pleasure from food, a person can, not only cut back on unnecessary calories, but improve their overall health via more applicable nutrients.
  • spellerin528
    Options
    Sugar is a refined addictive substance! Its almost impossible to quit it cold turkey. Try changing up your sources of sugar... start by eliminating all packaged refined sources of junk food and make your own. I know this sounds counter productive but that way you can make it healthier. Try substituting sugar for maple syrup, honey or stevia, substitute oil for apple sauce, etc. There are tons of recipes for "junk food" or "comfort foods" that are healthier versions (check Pinterest). Try black bean brownies, butternut squash cookies, etc. Eventually you can satisfy your sugar cravings with healthier alternatives like fruit or even gum. Deprivation is the worst way to go! I can guarantee if you don't allow yourself to eat brownies or cookies you will crack! just find the healthiest alternative and eat them in moderation!
    Good luck!
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    When considering the definition of addiction, then yes, I feel that I am addicted to sugar.

What Is Addiction?
    Addiction is a condition that results when a person ingests a substance (e.g., alcohol, cocaine, nicotine) or engages in an activity (e.g., gambling, sex, shopping) that can be pleasurable but the continued use/act of which becomes compulsive and interferes with ordinary life responsibilities, such as work, relationships, or health. Users may not be aware that their behavior is out of control and causing problems for themselves and others. http://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/addiction

Eating sugar is an activity that gives pleasure and I continue to use it, compulsively, and it affects my health.

The most success I've had when eliminating sugar (which I need to start do again) is when I started juicing. Juicing helped kickstart healthier eating and I really got passed eating sugar like a fiend. In fact, I had stopped eating sugar all together. That was a year ago and I had a lot of success at that time. Unfortunately, I fell of the wagon at some point. But, it's good to know a method that worked for me in the past. It's hard to imagine getting over sugar... really hard. BUT, it most certainly can be done and know that it is not impossible. Also, I found when I drink caffeine (coffee and lattes) then I tended to eat more sugar. I don't know why. So, when I eliminate caffeine, I also eat less sugar. But, that's all me. I hope you find something that works for you! :)
    Well seeing as how juicing involves fruit and veggies, you didn't eliminate sugar.

When you start prostituting yourself for a candy bar, then we can bring up calling it an addiction. Before then, it's having the will power to control intake. Eating less of it, will lead to you wanting less of it. It comes down to you having control. I have little control when eating donuts, so I don't eat them. However, I'm far from addicted to them. They're just tasty.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140909093617.htm

Basically, the study concluded that no, sugar and fat are not physically addictive like drugs but that people can become "behaviorally" addicted to eating.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Exactly this.
  • alison2earth
    Options

What Is Addiction?

Well seeing as how juicing involves fruit and veggies, you didn't eliminate sugar.

When you start prostituting yourself for a candy bar, then we can bring up calling it an addiction. Before then, it's having the will power to control intake. Eating less of it, will lead to you wanting less of it. It comes down to you having control. I have little control when eating donuts, so I don't eat them. However, I'm far from addicted to them. They're just tasty.

Processed sugar is my concern here... I'm happy to ingest sugars from fruit and veggies... I'm not sure of your point. Anyhow, your situation is you, but not everyone is the same. Not everyone's brain functions the same. Again, it's about the behavior in this case which can fall under the definition of addiction. People don't have to prostitute themselves in order to be considered an addict.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

What Is Addiction?

Processed sugar is my concern here... I'm happy to ingest sugars from fruit and veggies... I'm not sure of your point. Anyhow, your situation is you, but not everyone is the same. Not everyone's brain functions the same. Again, it's about the behavior in this case which can fall under the definition of addiction. People don't have to prostitute themselves in order to be considered an addict.

I think the point is that the body cannot discriminate between sucrose and fructose, both are metabolized the same.
  • alison2earth
    Options
    Understandable, but I think the overall idea is to eliminate processed sugary treats, as well as the behavior involved with eating them. So yes, when I was juicing veggies and fruits, I stopped eating the treats... Which was pretty amazing for me, and a pretty big accomplishment at the time... It's unfortunate to think that it would be considered less so because fruits and veggies still have a form of sugar? Anyhow, as others have mentioned, the addiction comes into play regarding the behavior rather than the substance.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140909093617.htm

Basically, the study concluded that no, sugar and fat are not physically addictive like drugs but that people can become "behaviorally" addicted to eating.

What's the difference? Behaviorally addicted is still addicted. Gambling can be a behavioral addiction, and sex, gaming, etc. All can be destructive and negative and not so easy to just find some will power.

I also find refined sugar to have an addictive quality. When I eat sugar, I want more sugar. I want it a lot. I do better when I cut it out completely. Everyone needs to find what works for them, whether it's psychological or physical doesn't really matter.

I wanted to be free from the addictive feeling and constant cravings so I did a 21 day sugar fast which included no processed white flour, but I still had fruit, since I am not concerned about an apple addiction :) This 21 day elimination turned into many months of not craving sweets and helped me develop a much better relationship with food.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options

I think the point is that the body cannot discriminate between sucrose and fructose, both are metabolized the same.

Correct but all the stuff that comes with the sugar in fruit (enzymes, vitamins, fiber if you're not juicing) are far healthier for you than the stuff that comes in candy, cakes, etc. (preservatives, artificial colors and flavors, processed fats, waxes, and things I can't even pronounce)