vitamin chaos, please help

Options
I know I need to take a multivitamin, but there are so many to chose from!

How do I know which ones are ok?
Is one multivitamin enough? Or....
Do I need to take any other vitamin supplements?

I would really love to know to some other people are taking, and what brands they prefer. Pretty please :)

Replies

• CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Sillyhead1011
    Sillyhead1011 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hey there...i just take GNC actives woman multivitamin...i use to take the big packs with 6 pills in them but they r super pricey $55 a month (with gold card) but the ones now r $25 (with gold card) but lasts 3 months:) hope it helps !
  • spgabby86
    spgabby86 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz has some pretty good suggestions on his website www.doctoroz.com
  • sunbeam11
    Options
    I take the Equate (walmart) version of Women's one-a-day. I also take 800mg folic acid on top of that (planning for pregnancy) and a super-B-complex vitamin for my anxiety. I think for anyone it will vary depending on your stage of life and personal needs. But a one-a-day is a good place to start.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I take One-A-Day Women's, plus Puritan's Pride D2000, flaxseed oil, B complex, and chelated potassium. I like my OAD Women's, but I get it cheap because my dad is retired from Bayer. You should look into Puritan's Pride -- they make good products, and they're really inexpensive. You can buy them online at their website.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I would love to know this too! LOL I went to the Vitamin Shoppe today and was so overwhelmed! I did get some liquid Vit D though cause I've been so grumpy without sun....I think I'll just take flinstone chewables with my kids :laugh:
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I take the Multivites Gummy vitamins for adults, because they're tasty and I can obtain an absurdly large bottle of them for 9 bucks at Costco. They also have 200% of the RDA of Vitamin D, which is a good thing (I live in Seattle-- we need it!)
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    I take the whole GNC Womens Active Vita-pack and LOVE it. It's not so bad if you buy the huge box a few times a year :) If you get those, make sure you understand how to split them up throughout your day because you do NOT take them all at once.
  • kimbot
    kimbot Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I WAS taking Women's One-A-Day multi. I was taking them with food, as the label states, yet they always seemed to make me feel nauseous so I stopped taking them. I haven't yet found another vitamin that doesn't do that to me.
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    I also swear by 1000units Vit-D, B-12, and daily probiotics.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I WAS taking Women's One-A-Day multi. I was taking them with food, as the label states, yet they always seemed to make me feel nauseous so I stopped taking them. I haven't yet found another vitamin that doesn't do that to me.

Do you take them before, after, or during a meal? I've discovered that I don't get an upset stomach if I eat most of a meal, take the vitamin, and then top it off with the last couple of bites. And wash it down with half a glass of water or so. It might help you.
  • ibtxn20582
    ibtxn20582 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I take the Alive Multivitamin V-cap with Iron Added since I am still having my monthly cycle. I also take 5,000 mcg of Biotin by NOW Foods, Ultra Omega - 3 by NOW Foods and 500mg of Rutin by Thomson. I add other supplements if I start having issues like L-lysine if I start having mouth sores. I personally believe that every american needs to take a good EFA(Fish, Flax or some other oil) and Multivitamin with Green Foods in it everyday. I take Biotin because it helps to break down fats so that your hair, skin and nails are healthy and Rutin helps to strengthen veins.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i take:
    One A Day Vita Gummies
    Calcium
    D-3
    Vitamin E
    Vitamin C
    Biotin
    Fish Oil
    Potassium
  • joannajohnsonrn
    joannajohnsonrn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I suggest going to Dr Weil's website and going through his vitamin advisor. Not all vitamins are created equal, and you may be getting too much of one thing and not another. Dr Weil is a practicing MD and instructor, and is well known for his vitamin information. Also, you may not need some supplements if you are eating properly :)
    Good Luck ! :)
  • cupcakelover103
    cupcakelover103 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I would recommend 1) getting a blood test to see if you are deficient in anything 2) If that is not an option i would recommend the following 3 which most american diets (and lifestyles) are deficient in: omega 3s, calcium and vitamin d. Research has proven that multivitamins are pretty much useless, so i don't bother with them and eat a blanced diet with the above 3 daily.
  • swiftgirls2
    Options
    Most vitamins are fat-soluble and should be taken with a meal - usually at dinner.
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I also take Equate. Mature Complete multi-vitamin. Dr. Oz recommends to pick a vitamin that contains 100% of the RDA. He also recommends cutting your multi in half and taking half in the morning and half in the evening.

I take omega 3, too.