HELP! I can't manage to eat over 1100 calories!

Options
124»

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Oreos
    Hehe I only wish. I feel like if I have one or two I won't be able to stop...I'm still working on my self-control, it's been hard!
    I drove by our famous Round Rock Donuts today and was so close to stopping in.

I love Round Rock donuts!

You've already gotten good advice, there is no starvation mode, you don't have to only eat healthy, if it fits within your day it's ok to have wine, pizza, or donuts! I didn't see if you posted your current height/weight and what your goal is (total) and how many pounds/week you indicated you wanted to lose when you set up MFP? Also, are you exercising and eating back calories? Lastly, are you weighing/measuring all your food?
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I need to be eating roughly 1400 calories a day, but ... I've barely been able to eat over 1000 calories a day.
    Yeah, me too, and I can't help wondering, how the heck did I get fat if I can't even manage to eat 1000 calories a day?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,000 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I need to be eating roughly 1400 calories a day, but ... I've barely been able to eat over 1000 calories a day.
    Yeah, me too, and I can't help wondering, how the heck did I get fat if I can't even manage to eat 1000 calories a day?

OP didn't say she has always struggled to eat 1100 calories per day - only that she has done so since changing to 'healthy food'
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Maybe a week ago I was feeling exactly the same way as you. In fact my tummy was starting to sort of hurt when I ate dinner.

A few days ago I went to a friends house for dinner, which included home made fried donuts and a chocolate dipping sauce, which I of course ate and really enjoyed.

Now I'm ravenous all the time and am craving high sugar/fatty foods. Totally BIZARRE. Maybe I have a naughty food addiction that is easily triggered...

Anyway, I'm hoping the not very hungry feeling comes back now so I will find it easier to stick within my calorie limit! If I find it hard to eat my cals again, I'm just going to drizzle olive oil over dinner or have a spoonful of peanut butter now and again.

Not bizarre at all. It was (and is) your body's normal reaction to trying to restrict food you like.

Honestly, unless someone has an eating disorder and is eating so few calories intentionally (since you have concern over this, OP, I doubt it's your case) their appetite will increase over time on such a low calorie intake. This problem is usually caused by restricting all the food they would normally eat too drastically and too fast. Don't be afraid of fats and calories. They're good for you.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Oreos
    Hehe I only wish. I feel like if I have one or two I won't be able to stop...I'm still working on my self-control, it's been hard!
    I drove by our famous Round Rock Donuts today and was so close to stopping in.
    Its ok to have a treat once in a while!
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I need to be eating roughly 1400 calories a day, but recently after changing my diet to be more 'healthy' by sticking to mostly chicken, turkey, veggies and fruits I've barely been able to eat over 1000 calories a day. Today I ate only 945 and feel content, not hungry at all. I woke up late and stayed in the gym and then cleaned the kitchen, so I ate breakfast around 10 and then wasn't hungry for lunch until 12:30. Before dinner I had a small handful of almonds and a protein shake and then dinner at 5:30pm.

But I need to up my calories so my body doesn't go into starvation mode. I'm having a hard time finding more foods to fit into meals or in between. Does anyone have any good suggestions?
    I don't like mushrooms or fish and I have to be careful with nuts while I'm at work because I work in a school that does not allow any type of nuts to be brought it.

What foods can I add in to start upping my calories?

Have you tried looking in the MFP blog? There might be something in there that you would like.
  • shortnsassy1981
    shortnsassy1981 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I roast my veggies in the oven with coconut oil to get healthy fats and to boost my calories. I follow a paleo style diet but with minimal dairy (primal diet really). When you are eating a lot of green veggies and lean meats it can be hard to hit those calories. Fat is your friend. Nuts, avocados, coconut oil, ghee. I love almond butter and green apples. I also make a large batch of guacamole at the beginning of the week and put in a squeeze bottle. I add it to lettuce wraps, salads, egg muffins. Whatever it takes to ensure I am getting plenty of calories.