Ever Feel Alone No Matter How Many MFP Friends You Have?

Options

Replies

• Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I personally found more encouragement from my own gender and age range. I'm 53 and trying to friend a 20year old....well it's tough. I also have found that someone closer to my age listens better. Good luck in your weight loss Miss Phoebe...add me if you like.
    Lisa.
  • odywithaj
    odywithaj Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the hardest part of getting support is asking those around you for what you need.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    That happens to everyone, you have a huge list of friends and out of that list they'll pick people they more closely associate with. So I ended up with two friends out of the list that are watching what I am doing, LOL. No worries I just want to encourage everyone, no matter what their age, gender or how much weight they need to lose, and the (no) response from others doesn't bother me. I just hit the like button on everyone else, even though they don't respond, and I'll comment if I have some advice. At any rate, it's my fat, and it's up to me to lose it, and also to never find it again.
  • nicailyzee
    nicailyzee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hello I felt this way when I first started as well. I usually jump in on these types of posts read the story and then let the person decide if they would like to send me a request or not. I am a very active friend and it can become time consuming commenting on everything but I do unless I find it inappropriate or don't have any advice. I try to at least give a like. You may add me if you like and welcome to MFP!
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I have 100's of online friends and some i contact directly and every single day i still feel alone
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I feel like that IRL all the time. On here...occasionally...but I've had to realize that I ultimately can't depend on other people to get me to my goals.
  • paulperryman
    Options
    I feel like that IRL all the time. On here...occasionally...but I've had to realize that I ultimately can't depend on other people to get me to my goals.

Very true Jen, depend on yourself first and foremost, noone can do it for you
  • PainNowGainLater
    PainNowGainLater Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Not meaning this in a sexist way at all (so I apologise if it comes across that way), but I have been experiencing this quite a lot recently, and I thought it was because I was a guy, so it's quite refreshing to see women having the same issue.

I feel exactly the same way: The only time I seem to get feedback these days is if I get a really good burn on a gym day, but even that to this day is now starting to dwindle. I know I haven't done so, but I really feel like I have upset someone, and it's just affected things on here. I have the odd person on occasion who maybe likes when I've completed my Food and Exercise diary, but it gets rarer and rarer as time goes on. I feel very lonely sometimes, as another guy on my friends list seems to get a lot of likes and comments, and I find it quite hurtful sometimes...

There are times where I have actually just wanted to give up on this, but I really enjoy the ability to log and track my food and exercise, and I have started to notice some improvements within myself, just would be nice to have some support and encouragement...

To everyone on this post: I will more than happily motivate and encourage you all, feel free to add me, and let's complete this journey of ours together!
  • blondefury72
    blondefury72 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean I have a huge amout to loose and i feel the same way not many friends I too could use some extra encouragmnet I would love to be friends and help you be encourageged if youll have me lol i have been off here a while but I am back and getting off my pitty party ready to rock this whole journey as i know we can do together
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I like having friends on here, but yes, I sometimes feel quite alone - when I'm far from that!
  • paulperryman
    Options
    Hi there,

Not meaning this in a sexist way at all (so I apologise if it comes across that way), but I have been experiencing this quite a lot recently, and I thought it was because I was a guy, so it's quite refreshing to see women having the same issue.

I feel exactly the same way: The only time I seem to get feedback these days is if I get a really good burn on a gym day, but even that to this day is now starting to dwindle. I know I haven't done so, but I really feel like I have upset someone, and it's just affected things on here. I have the odd person on occasion who maybe likes when I've completed my Food and Exercise diary, but it gets rarer and rarer as time goes on. I feel very lonely sometimes, as another guy on my friends list seems to get a lot of likes and comments, and I find it quite hurtful sometimes...

There are times where I have actually just wanted to give up on this, but I really enjoy the ability to log and track my food and exercise, and I have started to notice some improvements within myself, just would be nice to have some support and encouragement...

To everyone on this post: I will more than happily motivate and encourage you all, feel free to add me, and let's complete this journey of ours together!

I know exactly how you feel, i did my journey of near 2yrs with little to no guidance, just Likes and the occasional Nice comment. and now i'm trying to help others, but we all need support whether you are done or not
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Nope. I have cultivated a decent list of MFP friends that don't judge, encourage if THEY want to and aren't needy.I don't expect it of them, but I appreciate it when they do comment.
    Oh, and I also have real friends that are great, supportive and y'know good fun to be with.

NONE of these people can stop me from eating what I want, or force me to eat what they think I should. I have made a lifestyle choice - not for them, but for ME. So the ONLY person that can do this journey, (and fail and start again, I will freely admit) is ME.

I don't blame my friends, MFP or otherwise for being too knackered from not adjusting to shift work to exercise. It's not their fault if I decide that I'll do nothing for a week and start again next week. That's all on me.

But I DO know that when I do exercise, and I do stay within my cals, they are happy for me... and that's their "job" right there. They don't need to do anything more than that.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I give support and encouragement but also expect to receive the same, if you can commit feel free to add me as a friend. You can do this you ahev already lost a lolt of weight so you ahev proved you can do it. good luck
    Carol:smile:
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options

This
  • manderthegreat
    manderthegreat Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    anyone feel free to add me. I am very supportive and log in daily. I think that each person uses this differently. Some are here just to log, some to get support and some to give, and then there's the awesome ones that do all three. I think there is a variety of people to make friends with it just takes time to find who and what works for you. Good luck all!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Well, it's only been a week...just like in real life, sometimes it takes time to actually connect with someone and form an actual relationship.

Frankly, I've never been an atta boy kind of guy here and I've never really expected or even wanted that out of my MFP friends...some rando on my friends list telling me good job for completing my food diary for the day or whatever honestly doesn't do much for me.

I've found the interactions with my friends in RE to specific questions, etc to be far more beneficial and actually engaging than the obligatory slap on the *kitten* for logging in for how many ever days or whatever.

Beyond that, ultimately this has to be about you...ultimately you have to motivate you and you have to build healthful habits...if you're relying on those around you for motivation, it's going to be tough road to ho.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I am alone on here. No one really to relate to or keep me motivated. I am usually the motivator but its fine as long as they're happy and doing well then I'm okay with it.
  • 2thesexydress
    2thesexydress Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me x
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel for sure, but this is why I have chosen to not accept friend requests for the most part. If I accept someone and they turn out to be nothing but a friend collector, I just delete them.

I've just learned that I can't rely on anyone for support or motivation. I have to do that on my own.
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have felt this way. I haven't cleaned out my friend list yet, but I've thought about it.