Ever been asked if you are pregnant but you weren't ....?

Options

Replies

• beautifuldisasta
    beautifuldisasta Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Lol, yes once years ago by a door knocker trying to sell me something, I couldn't close the door on her quick enough!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I've never been asked, and I think it's because even at my heaviest I had the "B" shaped belly which doesn't look pregnant, just fat.

Actually, a lot of women I've known with that kind of belly shape were disappointed when they WERE pregnant that most people didn't notice 'til the very end of their pregnancies, I think because the fat kind of makes it look like two rolls, instead of a big round typical pregnancy belly.

This is me people had no idea I was pregnant even at 39 weeks
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I've been told I were pregnant. I was in a corner shop in Hastings, UK and I wanted a packet of cigarettes. He asked me for ID, by saying 'I know you're pregnant, but I still need to check your ID because anybody can be pregnant these days!'. Firstly, why on earth would I be buying cigarettes if I were? My mum jumped in straight away and said, 'she's not pregnant!'. I was speechless, I just spluttered a laugh. He did not apologise though. I'm not sure if this is a contributing factor as to why I lost weight!
  • Katleskin
    Katleskin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Never been outright asked but quite a few years ago I was in Paris with my (now) husband and went into a cafe for a chocolat chaud. The waitress came over and told us we were sitting in the smoking section and then looked mildly horrified when I said 'I know' and waved my pack of cigarettes at her. I found it really odd, until I later caught sight of myself in the mirror behind the counter - the smock top I was wearing did me NO favours and made me look at least 6 months gone. I never wore it again.
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would be offended. If I was pregnant enough to be showing, and we know each other, you'd probably have heard about it already. It's not your business to know if you weren't told and you could just be flat out wrong. It's really rude to just march up to someone and ask that question.

I tend to agree with, yeh...all of this ^
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I've been told I were pregnant. I was in a corner shop in Hastings, UK and I wanted a packet of cigarettes. He asked me for ID, by saying 'I know you're pregnant, but I still need to check your ID because anybody can be pregnant these days!'. Firstly, why on earth would I be buying cigarettes if I were? My mum jumped in straight away and said, 'she's not pregnant!'. I was speechless, I just spluttered a laugh. He did not apologise though. I'm not sure if this is a contributing factor as to why I lost weight!

:laugh: That's rude in like, three different ways!
  • MissBlunts420
    MissBlunts420 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    A few months ago I was picking up a prescription at the pharmacy I've been going to for several years. As the cashier was ringing me up she asked me a question, and being that I was super sick it just didn't compute, so I responded by saying "Uh, sorry. What was that?" She replied, " Oh, don't worry about it. That's pregnancy brain for you!" I was mortified.

A couple of years ago I was working the drive-thru at a fast food restaurant during the dinner rush. I took this lady's order and she mentioned that she was pregnant with cravings. When she pulled up to the window I asked her if she was having a girl or a boy. To my horror, I had asked the wrong customer. The pregnant lady was actually in the car behind this now extremely offended lady.
  • travlinjess
    travlinjess Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Happened to me twice, by complete strangers…both were women. The first was a receptionist at a Honda car dealership. She asked when I was due. I simply told her I wasn't pregnant, and promptly got rid of the sundress I was wearing that day, lol.

A few years later, it happened again. This older woman actually rubbed my tummy and asked if I was having a boy or a girl. Geez!

I've never been pregnant.

Offended? Not really. My guy was with me on both occasions, so we just laughed it off...and I'd bet the ladies felt worse about it than I did.

I won't ever forget it though…and I'd NEVER do the same to anyone else.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I was once asked that question and replied, "nope, I'm just fat." The person who asked looked mortified. I never wore the empire waist top that I had loved up to that point, again! And I'm thinking she probably never asked that question again. Rule of thumb...I wouldn't ask someone that, unless you (1) know them pretty well, or (2) are 99% sure they are. Just a thought. I wasn't offended, per se, but it was someone that I only knew in passing and I was a more than a little annoyed, and had some hurt feelings about it.

Basically, the same experience I had. I wasn't massively offended, but I did mark the people down who commented as insensitive types for future reference. I would never dream of commenting if someone looked pregnant. It's right up there with comments on weight or ill health to be honest. If they want to tell me, then they can.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Ah, yes, by a coworker:

"Are you pregnant?"
    No, just fat.
    "Well if you lost weight maybe you could get pregnant."
  • Spnneil06
    Spnneil06 Posts: 18,745 Member
    Options
    Yep I had a lady actually argue with me about it in front of all of my co workers. Embarrassing! I was like "No sorry, just fat" Thankfully I don't have that problem anymore!
  • wndrwmn86
    wndrwmn86 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I have a few times, I carry the majority of my weight in my stomach. I am not necessarily offended by their actions as much as hurt by the implications of the words. While I do think it really wouldn't be a complete strangers business, they are obviously happy for you and wanting to congratulate you more than likely. In that mindset, they are being kind. Their words sting because I know it is my own fault for letting myself get to the point where I look pregnant when I am not.
  • violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I was only asked that once. Worst part it was when I was in the 8th grade. A senior waiting to get on the bus asked me. I was mortified.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I've never been asked, and I think it's because even at my heaviest I had the "B" shaped belly which doesn't look pregnant, just fat.

Actually, a lot of women I've known with that kind of belly shape were disappointed when they WERE pregnant that most people didn't notice 'til the very end of their pregnancies, I think because the fat kind of makes it look like two rolls, instead of a big round typical pregnancy belly.

This is me people had no idea I was pregnant even at 39 weeks

Yep...good friend of mine is not even a larger lady, really, but she has the B shaped belly and is just slightly overweight...anyway she was at least 8 months along before anyone noticed without being told she was pregnant. She came to a party at my house in the winter in a hoodie sweatshirt and baggy jeans, almost at her due date and people were offering her alcohol completely unaware that her belly was from pregnancy.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was 4 years old, she went up to a (NOT pregnant, but quite overweight) woman in a bookstore and asked, "Are you pregnant or are you just fat from food?"

Thank god the woman laughed. I was so embarrassed I could hardly breathe!

OMG I would just want to die!
  • cmazurek85
    cmazurek85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Ah, yes, by a coworker:

"Are you pregnant?"
    No, just fat.
    "Well if you lost weight maybe you could get pregnant."

WOW!! That's awful!!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I was in the 8th grade when a girl I went to school with asked me if I was pregnant. It was the early 90's and baby doll dresses were all the rage and I wasn't even overweight at the time.

On a side note when I was in the 6th grade I had a girl ask me if I was a virgin. Really?

Edited for spelling.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I am a dude. That is when I decided to lose my beer gut, and did.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    ive been offerred seats on buses, trains and at the pharmacy many times, i usually just smile and take the seat

every time i visit my mum shes rubs my stomach and says awwww baby. cant get mad at her, she has vascular alzhimers and some days thats the only words shes spoken all day
  • RussellG67
    RussellG67 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Well I'm a guy so no I have not been asked. I did however make the mistake once about 20 years ago of asking that of a woman. I asked "so when is the baby due" she felt bad and I felt bad for saying it. It was NOT meant meanly, I was honestly trying to just talk about the baby. I have never since asked anyone again.