Why just egg whites

Options
Often I read members here eating just egg whites in whatever form, why do they just have the whites? Do you not like the yolks? What do you do to the yolk, throw away? Always wondered. ...

Replies

• mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Most of the calories from eggs are in the yolk, so people who want a low calorie meal sometimes just eat the whites, although in my opinion this is less yummy and less filling. As for throwing the yolks away - you can buy cartons of pasteurized egg whites so there is no yolks being wasted.
  • cecesquats
    cecesquats Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    egg whites: protein, egg yolk: fat
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Depends on the persons calorie/macro goals. Egg whites can give a good hit of protein for few calories. The yolks contain the fat and therefore the bulk of the calories of the egg. However the yolk also contains iron, B vitamins and are delicious.

If you like yolks and they fit your goals then eat up.

Personally I tend to use 1 whole egg combined with a couple of extra whites.
  • Redribbon73
    Redribbon73 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Oh right that's clear. I eat the whole egg, egg whites alone would feel wrong to me as if something important is missing lol
  • kateangel2312
    kateangel2312 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I always eat the yolk because it's the most nutritional part
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Because yolks are further down on their list of wants than something else and egg whites are not.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Egg whites are the stable of bodybuilders. Just about the biggest bang for the buck when it comes to low calories, high protein.

We eat a lot of them...like ALOT. By the time a comp is done, I can't stand the sight of them. I call them egg snots.

You can buy cartons of egg whites so you don't have to do the seperation yourself.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,974 Member
    Options
    Even reading this thread makes me wonder why people still don't know what's in an egg yolk, amazing really considering it's a search away.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I love to eat the whole egg and I hate to see people not eating them because they think yolks are the devil.......HOWEVER.. there have been times in the past where I needed more protein but couldn't afford all the calories of the yolk, so I'd eat just the white meh, we do what we have to do to stay under our calories right?

I once had a really obnoxious poster on MFP tell me that I wasn't really serious about weight loss and that I'd never be successful because I ate the WHOLE EGG and didn't show the dedication required to lose weight: eating only the whites=dedication apparently?!
  • cursumxperficio
    Options
    I buy egg whites in cartons and then make plain omelettes with one whole egg and two egg whites, a perfect filling but healthy snack before bed time!
  • taraskylit
    taraskylit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    People like whites for the lack of fat macronutrient.
    I happen to eat ~65g of fat a day and love consuming whole eggs.
    It just depends on a persons macro/calorie preference.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    To save calories when I'm low. Typically I'll mix one or two eggs with egg whites.

I also like the taste of egg whites vs whole eggs better with spinach, for some reason.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    egg whites: protein, egg yolk: fat

Not exactly...

Healthy-Eating-and-Living-Egg-Nutrition-Mandy-King.jpg
  • alfonsinarosinsky
    alfonsinarosinsky Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I usually eat the entire egg...well except for the shell :laugh:
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I just don't like the taste of them. No other reason. (shrug)
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I Love egg yolks, but many times I choose other fats instead so I just eat the whites. For me it's about making sure I keep my MACRO ratios correct- not just my calorie goal.

I separate them myself as the carton of pre-separated egg whites is more expensive (where I shop) than whole eggs. I throw the yolks away and feel bad for being wasteful.
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I always wonder where people get egg whites only from. I suspect it's a very American thing as I have never seen a carton of egg white in a German supermarket.

Could anyone clarify if they sell egg whites only in countries other than the US?
  • SunnyDinCA
    SunnyDinCA Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Isn't there more Leucine in the yolk tho? Seems to me the entire egg is the best of both worlds, nutrition wise, for any body. Which is why I eat the whole egg. I did try to look it up, but gave up after 5 minutes. But really curious about the Leucine % in the yolk, if anyone can find it.

ps....wow look at that 1st post after 5 months
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I do the same as a couple of other posters, one whole egg and a couple of extra whites. I separate them myself and use the extra yolks as a hair mask. It's more of a taste preference for me, too many yolks get too rich.