Gluten Sensitivity: what to do?

Options
Before I made this post, because I noticed that I had symptoms of a gluten problem:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1344605-gluten-free-diet-pls-suggest
The doctor agreed and I made some tests. The tests were negative about gluten allergy (Celiac), but effectively I have a gluten problem like "Gluten Sensitivity". and the Doctor also agreed. Though the Doctor said there are no conclusive tests to confirm the Gluten Sensitivity and the best is avoiding gluten products, as I had done in the past.

Are you Gluten Sensitivity or do you know this? What do you do or what should I do?
Can gluten be a cause for weight gain or usually makes you loosing weight?

The Doctor didn't seem worried, so I think Celiac has serious health consequences, but Sensitivity maybe is only feeling bad if you overdue it. I am trying to eat as less as possible with gluten. I was sick last week and I eat more bread and milk and my poop was floating. This looks to be another confirmation of my gluten problem ... I am avoiding bread now, I am drinking coconut/rice milk and I am better.

Replies

• GuybrushThreepw00d
    Options
    Sounds like the bread and dairy aren't doing much for you.
    You need to be strict with your diet and make sure you cut the offending foods out and see if you feel better.

A guy at work has a severe gluten allergy and it's crazy the amount of stuff with gluten in it (worcester sauce has some!)
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I do not have celiac.. I do not adhere to STRICT GF eating.

I DO however avoid all obvious sources of wheat due to autoimmune issues I have.

I had migraines (at least weekly or MORE), hypoactive thyroid, acid reflux, tenitius, frequent bouts of vertigo and rheumatoid arthritis. I was a MESS!

I did a 30 day juice fast and felt like a new woman so I knew that my problems were all diet related. I added back in foods and my problems returned.. So I did an elimination diet and was convinced that my problems must be from dairy. I was preparing myself to give up yogurt and cheese for EVER. Imagine my shock and horror when I discovered that my beloved WHEAT was the root of my problems?!?! I would sometimes eat cracked wheat porridge for breakfast, homemade whole wheat flour tortillas with lunch. and then a nice serving of couscous for dinner. I LOVE wheat and everything made from it And I was eating mostly whole grain wheat.. Healthy, right?

Since giving up wheat and before I even started losing weight: Thyroid returned to normal and no more synthroid, acid reflux is completely gone so no more medication for that, I haven't had even ONE migraine so no more meds for that, I still have tenitius, but it's reduced. I haven't had any vertigo and the BEST part is, my joint pain is reduced by at least 80% I do still have some pain in my knees, but it's NOTHING compared to what it was.

I also eat very few cereal grains in general and avoid most "gluten free" substitute products like GF pasta or GF pizza crusts. I'll eat them on occasion, but I treat it as a special treat and not as an ordinary part of my way of eating since they are of little nutritive value to me.

Even if your celiac results come back NEGATIVE, you still MIGHT benefit from GF or Wheat Free eating. I say, if it feels good, do it!

As for weight loss. Avoiding wheat hasn't directly helped me in my weight loss though I believe I have benefited from having improved thyroid function. Not being tired all the time sure makes it easier to exercise! Also, when avoiding wheat, I have to say "no" to many snacks of opportunity which I might have otherwise caved on... So for example. When someone offers a nice piece of cake, from a calorie/weight loss perspective, I might have said "yes" in a moment of weakness, but I have to say "no" if the item has wheat in it. So I'm consuming fewer calories overall because of being "forced" to say no to some of the most tempting foods for me.
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. my tests for CD are negative but eliminating gluten has hugely improved a lot of issues so two of my doctors highly recommend I continue it. I have been reading wheat belly and it has tons of great information. I would continue to have a strict gf diet. No it doesnt affect your intestines the way cd does but you can still have a lot of full body issues even from "just" a sensitivity
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Are you Gluten Sensitivity or do you know this? What do you do or what should I do?
    Can gluten be a cause for weight gain or usually makes you loosing weight?
    I avoid it somewhat but not like the plague, because it does make me feel unwell but not in small, occasional portions. You might be able to do the same. Just experiment and see what portion works for you, if 'none' seems too drastic.

I think if it does cause weight gain it's water weight from inflammation. I think avoiding it makes weight loss a little easier because bread and baked goods are high calorie/low satiety foods anyway.

Good luck!
  • MariadfdCruz
    MariadfdCruz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :heart:
    My tests for Celiac Disease (Gluten allergy) are negative. Though, I've gluten sensitivity - the Doctor considers I have all symptoms and the best is avoiding, after a while trying again a little, as someone suggested. The Doctor said there are no tests available for this kind of gluten problem. Meanwhile, it seems I am also reacting on lactose, what can be temporarily.

I manage to eat extremely few or nothing gluten and lactose related and I dropped more than 1kg in 5 days, when my average was 0.2kg per week. I replaced All-Bran cereals for Oatmeal and cow milk for soya milk. Bread or pasta, I am just not eating, replacing my snack for Soya desserts and nuts (I love both of them, gladly).

I got used to this new diet and my pains in the belly stopped. So, I am happy! :drinker:
    I am glad I am not a cheese lover LOL that would be hard.
  • WhoWasGivenToFly
    WhoWasGivenToFly Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Never officially diagnosed but feel a TON better when it is out of my diet.

For me ( and everyone's body is different) , if gluten finds its way into my diet , or I just choose to eat something containing it, I will "puff" up and the weight will not come off or will not come off as quickly.

When I first cut the gluten out of my diet I did see a quick weight loss mostly from all the fluid my body was holding onto.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    You've cut out both some gluten and (some) dairy. So here there is no way to know for sure if your problems were gluten or dairy.

Cut out only one ENTIRELY for at least a few weeks. meaning for gluten, follow a strict Celiac protocol. If you don't feel better, try a strict lactose/dairy-free protocol (can still eat gluten) and see if you feel better.

If you are sensitive to a food, you cut it out entirely, either permanently or until you feel better (a few months probably) and then try reintroducing it to see if you can consume it again. I've been GF for over 4 years, reintroduced this year and felt horrible. I follow a strict dietary guideline for what is and isn't "safe" to eat. I was not tested as being Celiac, but you can have false negatives - which are quite common - so it's fine to try an elimination diet to see if you feel better.

Many Celiacs will lose weight when eating gluten, as you're not absorbing the nutrients. But then again others might gain because when not absorbing nutrients, they wind up eating more because they don't feel sated. But weight loss is more common iirc.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You can have a gluten sensitivity without full blown Celiacs. You do have to avoid gluten though - which is more than just bread and requires a lot of label reading. A lot of things have gluten that you wouldn't expect to.

It absolutely can cause problems with your weight and your general sense of wellbeing on a day to day basis.
  • mkozmik
    mkozmik Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have a wheat allergy, so I avoid all gluten. I do not have Celiacs disease, which is different than a wheat/gluten allergy. Both are an inflammatory process in the body, but have different processes.

It is also possible to be sensitive to any food, including gluten, without having a positive allergy test. The best testing for allergies is RAST testing or food elimiation. The blood tests are highly inaccurate.

I have quite a few food allergies as well as environmental allergies. Managing all my allergies is a way of life for me since I've been dealing with this since I was 2 years old. Guess what, it can absolutely impact your weight.

When my allergies are really bad, I actually notice some swelling. So I gain from the fluids that result from that inflammation. As long as I stay ahead of my allergies, I can maintain my weight much more easily.

You've gotten quite a bit of advice on gluten and how it tends to hide everywhere. Just listen to what your body is telling you. If you feel better when you avoid gluten, then you are sensitive to it. Just be sure to supplement vitamins like magnesium if you avoid gluten containing grains. The Celiac & gluten free support websites have lots of information about nutrition when you are gluten free.

You are lucky....I have to avoid: Nuts, Peanuts, Coconut, Wheat (gluten), Dairy, Soy, Chocolate!!, and a handful of fruits and veggies. Yet I still gain weight? LOL

Good Luck!