Morning motivation

Options
So, I'm not a morning person, really, at all anymore but I've got to be up early for work. I hate waking up feeling that drag "oohhhh gotta get up..." What do people do in the mornings to get motivated for the day ahead, even when you know it will be a looong one? Any good stretch routines? Favorite energizing breakfasts? (No raisins please!) I don't have time to exercise in the mornings, that's why I was thinking maybe stretches or something ... I don't want to feel so tired in the mornings, I want to feel refreshed!

Replies

• IvyLuci
    IvyLuci Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I don't really have your problem, by the time I get out of bed I'm more or less awake and ready to go.
    But here are some things that can make mornings easier:
    -prepare everything the night before: what clothes you will wear, the food you're taking with you, extra things you need to take etc
    -as soon as you get up go wash your face, it helps me on days when I didn't get enough sleep
    -breakfast: oatmeal with a spoon of honey and some cinnamon, a couple of almonds (I prefer it hot, but there are ways to make it in the fridge) or a couple of eggs whichever way you prefer them (I like them scrambled, with some ground chilli on top and a spoon of cream)
    -As for exercise, how about 20 squats, 10 pushups? That should get the blood pumping :-)
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I roll my aging *kitten* out of bed, crawl the few yards to the dining room table and park in front of a cup of coffee and a computer screen while I work on convincing myself that I really should get a shower and put pants on, all the while my other side is arguing that my bed is a much better place to spend the day and work is overrated. About 2 to 3 cups of coffee into my day, I begin to think that well, the day is worth attempting and I begin to think positive thoughts again. Fortunately, I do not work out in the mornings, as I'm pretty sure I'd fall asleep and face plant in the squat rack.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    First, how's your quality of sleep? If you're getting a good night's sleep then even if you aren't a morning person you should still feel rested. If you're not, you might want to look into that.

I've heard people say not to exercise too close to bedtime because you'll have a hard time getting to bed, but I actually find that I sleep better and feel less sluggish the next morning when I exercise the night before. I'll usually exercise where I can stop 30-60 mins before I want to go to sleep so I still have a little downtime before bed.

Another suggestion would be something like 10 minute trainer in the morning (if you don't have that nor want it it's basically it's 10 one minute each moves that get your heart rate up). It can be enough to get your body awake and it's not going to be something where you have to get up too much earlier to do it. Another thing I've done is a quick lifting session with one set each of squats, lunges, etc with dumbbells that I have at home.

Also drink water as early as you can in the morning. I notice a difference right away once I start drinking water. I hope these suggestions (and the suggestions by other users) help. :flowerforyou:
  • mkallie
    mkallie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Morning is kind of a battle for me most of the time too. I usually try to be in bed by 11 and I get up at 5:15 and especially in the fall/winter when bed is so warm and house is so cold it takes a lot to roll, mostly asleep, into the bathroom and jump in the shower. Things that have kept me going are convincing myself that sleeping longer will not really do much (what's 1 extra hour of broken sleep once you're already awake), preparing my clothes and food the night before, and of course morning coffee.

For breakfasts I have been doing kale chips with nutritional yeast/cashews and an apple and it has been holding me pretty well until lunch. If mornings weren't such great study time for me I would love to be back in the gym. My favorite used to be doing some heavy lifting for an hour before work in the morning followed by ~10 min of high intensity circuit stuff. That really got me up and ready for the day.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I love the morning. It's hard to get out of bed sometimes but it's my quiet time. I don't really meditate but it's so nice when it's dark, quiet and I gave a good cup of coffee.

I tend to get my best thoughts, ideas and inspirations early am before the noise of my life begins.

It makes it easier to get myself moving if I have done this.

Try it! :bigsmile:
  • Glowiie1
    Glowiie1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    For breakfasts I have been doing kale chips with nutritional yeast/cashews and an apple and it has been holding me pretty well until lunch.

Do you have a recipe for those kale chips? They sound good!

To answer the original question, I do what most others do and minimize how painful it is to crawl out of a cozy bed: prep everything the night before so you can stumble through the routine while comatose. When I need some extra motivation, I play some upbeat music or my new favorite songs, and if I wake up really early, I'll take a cup of coffee onto the porch and watch the sun/stars rise (depending on time of year ha ha).

The only way I can fit in a workout before work is if I commute on my bike. Those are the best days. I can never convince myself to go to the gym before work, but exercising in transit totally fits in my schedule (oddly enough, it takes the same time as driving). And when I get a 20 min bike ride in before work, I'm truly at my best. Just gotta get the weather to cooperate... :)
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    0500 hrs jump out of bed like a ninja (and my sleeping other half curses at me as all the bed shakes and the duvet flyies away).
    Strong coffee and pb sandwich usually does the trick to push a first workout in.
    I train twice a day and both are rather intense so usually by 2100 hrs I am either passing out on the couch or on my way to bed shortly after that!
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I walk to work. It's just over 3 miles, so I'm feeling energised by the time I get there. And I walk back home again after work. It's the easiest way for me to fit in some exercise each day, and it means I am suitably tired in the evenings to get to sleep before 10pm, which helps with getting up early.

To create a good cycle, you'll have to break a bad one first, and that may involve a week or so of feeling more tired as you get into the new routine. There's no way around that though I'm afraid.