Everyyyy SINGLE day.

Options
I go over my sodium, and im not talking about 100 or 200 mg. Im talking 1500 milligrams of sodium i am going over.
Will my weight loss be slower if i continue to go over my allowed soduim everyday?
My food diary is open to the public. Take a look!! (i know i havent been eating too healthy, but ive been exercising my butt off for the past couple days)
Any tips for food that are low sodium that tastes good would be appreciated. :)

Replies

• modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Going that much over your sodium will cause your body to retain water, and in affect, prevent you from seeing the numbers drop on the scale. Even if you drink 10, 12, 14 cups of water, if you do that every day, you might not see results like you want.

My advice is to stay away from processed foods and away from too much pizza and take out food. Even canned food, like beans and tomatoes, are high in sodium. It's just really not good for you.
  • DangerRanger
    DangerRanger Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about if it is going to slow down your weight loss but it will definitely cause hypertension.
  • JessicaBarett
    Options
    Prepared foods have A LOT of sodium in them. Especially fast food like Wendys. Why not try to replicate those at home? It doesn't take too much time to make yourself a hamburger at home (you can even make some patties and freeze them so they're there when you feel like a burger), and it will have a lot less sodium in it.

That goes for all prepared foods. Try to eat more homemade meals and you'll find that your sodium intake goes way down.

Good luck!
  • GingerDarlene
    Options
    You are eating way too much prepared/over processed foods, and since they are over processed extra sodium is added. Need to eat more fresh foods. I don't know how you lose weight eating all of that, but since you are 18 and I'm 41, it's a big difference. Trust me its a lot harder to lose the older you get. Good luck.
  • hmdavis
    hmdavis Posts: 26
    Options
    I gotta say, sodium really does make a difference….. there are acutally more and more foods coming out with low sodium options, from deli turkey, to black beans, to cheese….when making food, look at the content and try to cut things here or there…hidden sodium can pop up in things like salsa, egg beaters, condiments..etc…. so, the more you become aware of the sodium, the better you will get at putting food together to make well balanced meals and snacks...
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Going that much over your sodium will cause your body to retain water, and in affect, prevent you from seeing the numbers drop on the scale. Even if you drink 10, 12, 14 cups of water, if you do that every day, you might not see results like you want.

My advice is to stay away from processed foods and away from too much pizza and take out food. Even canned food, like beans and tomatoes, are high in sodium. It's just really not good for you.

I agree...Processed foods are not good...:wink:
  • amydcarlson
    amydcarlson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I just took a peek at your food diary. Looks like the majority of the sodium is coming from the fast foods. It you cut down on that, I bet it will help a LOT. If you can't, just make sure you drink tons of extra water to try to flush some of the sodium out of your system. And if you do frozen foods at home, just check the packages at the supermarket before you buy them. I know it's kind of time consuming, but it may help a bit. Good luck!
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Yea, I noticed that you are eating a lot of processed and fast foods. Also, breaded and fried foods.

Your body doesn't need all that. Try not having fast food for a couple of days or replace those food with better options (grilled, broiled or steamed).

You can look at my food diary if you like :)
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Try eating less processed/packaged foods and doing more cooking for yourself. Most of your sodium intake appears to be coming in the form of preservatives of packaged foods.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Prepared foods have A LOT of sodium in them. Especially fast food like Wendys. Why not try to replicate those at home? It doesn't take too much time to make yourself a hamburger at home (you can even make some patties and freeze them so they're there when you feel like a burger), and it will have a lot less sodium in it.

That goes for all prepared foods. Try to eat more homemade meals and you'll find that your sodium intake goes way down.

Good luck!

As well as her weight!
  • stoddartsl
    Options
    I would say the easiest way to cut down a lot of sodium would be to stay away from eating out and eating prepared frozen food! They jam pack those things with salt to make them taste good! Which they do! But sodium with make your body retain water and keep you bloated. In the long term it causes heart problems and blood pressure problems.... Good luck!! You can do it!!

Tips from wikipedia:
    Other foods that are low in sodium include:
    Seasonings: Black, cayenne, or lemon pepper, mustard, some chili or hot sauces
    Herbs: Dried or fresh garlic, garlic/onion powder (no salt), dill, parsley, rosemary, basil, cinnamon, cloves, paprika, oregano, ginger, vinegar, cumin, nutmeg
    Fresh fruits and vegetables (celery, carrots, beets, spinach)
    Dried beans, peas, rice, lentils
    Macaroni, pasta, noodles, rice, barley (cooked in unsalted water)
    Honey, sugar
    Unsalted butter
    Unsalted dry curd cottage cheese
    Fresh beef, pork, lamb, fish, shrimp, egg
    Skim milk, yogurt
    Hot cereals
    Club soda, coffee, seltzer water, soy milk, tea

and from another site....

Let's take a look how you can start reducing the amount of salt you consume in your food on a regular basis.

- Don't use salt when you are cooking (or just use a tiny amount). Add just a pinch when the food is on the table.
    - Use no-sodium seasonings as well as herbs and spices to add lots of flavor without the salt.
    - Buy low-sodium chicken broth and use it to cook with instead of the regular broth that's full of salt.
    - Soy sauce has a lot of salt in it. Opt for a low-sodium version instead.
    - Use fresh meats and produce when you cook. Fresh food has a lot more flavor and won't need as much salt
    - Don't salt your pasta or rice water.
    - Buy low or no-sodium versions of food
    - Cut down on fast food and salty snacks. Grab some fresh fruit or veggies instead.
    - Read the label. Pay attention to the amount of sodium that's included on the nutritional facts label. You'll be surprised how much sodium a can of condensed soup or even a slice of bread has.
    - Rinse canned fish and vegetables to remove some of the salt.
  • sunshine86912
    Options
    just wondering, why does it look like you never cook?! Maybe I am in a different boat because I have a family to cook for, so eating out isnt really an option, but you are spending a TON on eating out every night/day/time you need to eat! I would suggest cooking a couple nights a week and finding some single serve options for yourself if it is just you. Make sandwiches, soups, stuff like that. I just can't even imagine trying to actually lose weight if every meal is coming from McDonalds, Wendy's, the freezer section at walmart, or a chiense resturant!
  • MandyMandz
    Options
    Past couple days i havent been home, hence the bad eating. But i defiantly will be eating more healthy less processed foods now that im home. :)
  • Trafty024
    Trafty024 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Also, be careful about MFP's calorie burned counts in regards to cardio. I find them way too high, causing a lot of people to think they burned more calories than they actually do. Invest in a heart rate monitor or use the one on the machne so you can calculate calories burned yourself. Mine are often half of what MFP calculates.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    What they said. But also:
    When you buy convenience vegetables get frozen instead of canned. Even beans come frozen. Rinse canned beans.

I take roasts and use my kitchen aide grinder to make my own burger. It's seriously no harder than taking the 3 lb package I usually get and packing it back up for the freezer into individual portions. I like bulk for the price, and then freeze portions for handy. Not everyone is worried about their burger! I've read some articles on "pink slime" and you don't even want to know! That's why I grind my own :) That stuff is especially in fast food burgers. Ever wonder how they make them so cheaply? They add junk to it! Junk that needs amonia poured over it to make it safe! (gag)

But anyway those individually frozen chicken breasts are full of injected solutions, too. Yet better than fast food!!! Take one out and pop it on a george foreman type grill or pannini thing. Or just microwave it if you want. That's a quick meal of a lean meat and still less sodium. I get whole chickens or turkeys, roast them, then when cooled you can cut them up and put them into individual freezer bags or containers, too. Sandwich portions! I take them out one at a time instead of deli meats (less crap in em).

There is garlic salt, cellery salt, and onion salt , etc... OR you can get garlic cellery powder, and onion powder instead. There are "ms Dash" shakers in the spice isle you can use instead of so much salty seasonings too! Check them out, they are really good. I put them on those individual meat bits and pan saute them quick for sandwiches or a main dish, or an ingredient in a meal.
  • purplespeckle
    Options

would you still lose inches though? just curious i basically had the same question as her
  • cclala
    cclala Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    It's not just your weight that's impacted by the fast and processed foods, it's your health. I know it seems hard to imagine at 18, but what you put in your body now will influence your health for years to come. Try to at least throw some fruit or a bag of baby carrots in your backpack if you can so you have something nutritious to munch on if you know you'll be eating fast food.

Also, girl eating better will make your hair and skin and nails so much nicer! You'd be surprised how much of a difference it makes.
  • erin6026
    erin6026 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    What they said ;)

Here's my typical day, if that helps:

bfast: black coffee (not sugary espresso), plain yogurt or oatmeal+apples
    mid-morning snack: rice cake with 1 tsp almond butter
    lunch: poached or hard-boiled egg, 1/2 avocado, a few turkey slices, carrots and hummus
    snack: apple or banana, almonds, tea
    dinner: veggie, whole grain (like rice or couscous) + chicken or steak
    bedtime: tea

I follow the Eat Clean diet. Basically if you stick to foods the Earth provides, it's really hard to have salt and sugar in your diet. They don't occur that often in nature! But they're EVERYWHERE in processed foods.

If you had told me I would cut out processed foods, sugar, and white grains (bread) I would have told you that you were nuts. But 2 weeks in my body did a 180 and started to CRAVE these foods because they were the foods put on the Earth for us to eat!

Anyway, I'm rambling. But cut out the fast foods and processed stuff. Prepare your food and if the stuff you eat is basically one ingredient (i.e. "oatmeal", "apple", "chicken") you're on the right track!